• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This is what we are up against.

I was talking to a fellow hunter on my MTB ride last night. We got into a conversation about the bill filed to repeal the ban on sporting guns. Of course he knew nothing about it. So I explain some of the finer points to him. His response was that he didn't agree with it because no one needed an assault rifle so he would not be for it! I couldn't believe it, I tried to explain it to him but he just wasn't getting it. Unfortunately this is what we face in the great state of Ma. [sad2]

I was talking to a fellow hunter on my MTB ride last night. We got into a conversation about the bill filed to repeal the ban on sporting guns. Of course he knew nothing about it. So I explain some of the finer points to him. His response was that he didn't agree with it because no one needed an assault rifle so he would not be for it! I couldn't believe it, I tried to explain it to him but he just wasn't getting it. Unfortunately this is what we face in the great state of Ma. [sad2]

There are a couple good reasons why you might need an "assault" style weapon:

1) for having fun at the range.
2) for a serious SHTF situation where you are defending your family against 30 armed Aholes during a riot--a situation that, unfortunately, seems more likely every passing day recently!
3) our founding fathers saw a need for the citizens of this country to defend itself against our own governments possible future tyranny

Why should we give up on either one of those uses? Because some politician says we do not need to??? I think not. We all have seen plenty of examples of politicians lying to us over the last few years!!!

Last edited:
I tell the likes of him that I will do everything I can to lobby for any anti-hunting measure I can find.

I'm a gun owner and I don't hunt, so I don't GAF how difficult it becomes to hunt.

First they came for the "assault rifles". And I didn't speak out, because I was a Fudd.
Then they came for the semi-automatic pistols with large cap mags. And I didn't speak out, because I was a Fudd.
Then they came for my bolt action deer rifle.

It's not just Massachusetts. A lot of hunters and shotgunners everywhere support "reasonable gun laws."

+1

However the fudds I've met in MA are worse than the ones I've hunted with in SD, WI, and MN. By a long shot. They exist everywhere though.

It's not just Massachusetts. A lot of hunters and shotgunners everywhere support "reasonable gun laws."

First they came for the "assault rifles". And I didn't speak out, because I was a Fudd.
Then they came for the semi-automatic pistols with large cap mags. And I didn't speak out, because I was a Fudd.
Then they came for my bolt action deer rifle.

So true. They just "don't get it" . . . and never will.

My first club was like that. They were 99% skeet/trap/hunters/bullseye shooters and that is all that they cared about. It was so bad that the skeet/trap shooters tried to get the outdoor range (which didn't allow any CF rifle anyway) shutdown on Sundays because the "noise annoyed them"! I caught shit regularly since I always carried on the range (they saw no need for anyone to carry a gun at any time, even though they were deep in the woods and some of us left there alone at late hours). Since I left there, they have implemented numerous dumb rules that make the place even more FUDD-like.

You want to convert a fudd? Have them read this article.
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2011/08/10/252071_tasmania-news.html

These firearms
Firearms stolen from a Blackmans Bay home, from top, a Tikka T3 .260 REM rigle with stainless steel barrel, Browning Citori Lightning Shotgun, Marlin 917M2 .17 Mach 2 rifle and a Tikka T3 Lite .308 rifle.

Were called "not just standard hunting firearms" by a cop down there and presumably as such are likely next up on Australia's ban list. Australia has anti-theft storage statutes that make victims into criminals.

That's what they are into if they don't support our efforts. Because the characteristics of so called AWs are no more rational than the ones that the above australian used to call those 4 firearms "not just standard hunting firearms"...

The most natural thing in teh world it to look out for one's self-interest. Most people do not take the long view.

Based on this, there's no "reason" for a Fudd to support access to EBRs. The thought that there's a slippery slope does not occur to them...after all, there's no relationship between a EBR and a Citori. Until later, when the Citori is pilloried as a muliti-shot weapon capable of deploying high-mass penetrators or wide-dispersal anti-personnel munitions. But that day will never come. Right?

There is no solid, cohesive "guiding influence" for gun owners (look at the recent treads highlighting the negatives, as opposed to the positives, of noth NRA and GOAL on this board) . Fortunately, this is balanced by a lack of both momentum and cohesiveness on the Antis' side.

It's the old "join or die" thing.....

I tell the likes of him that I will do everything I can to lobby for any anti-hunting measure I can find.

I'm a gun owner and I don't hunt, so I don't GAF how difficult it becomes to hunt.

I like this one here. ^^^

Combative enough to drive the point home just that much further.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

This... Most of the hunters I know and talk to about guns feel the same way. Everybody I know that hunts, ONLY hunt, they dont see the need or reason to own any other kind of firearm. Usually what i try to do is get them to the range to shoot some of my stuff and get the seed planted. but it doesnt always work

No one needs sniper rifles and breaching guns either.

Human nature. "No one 'needs' any better than I have." Where-ever the speaker is now, that's how good anyone else "needs" and pulling someone down to his level is OK by him. Takes the edge off his conflicted envy.

Just like that $100K bonus example - the guy who gets it is all ecstatic until he finds out everyone else got $300K. Then he's not only pissed off, but if all bonuses were conditioned on everyone accepting, there is a decent chance he'll refuse his just to level the playing field.

Hit 'em where it hurts. Show them how short sighted their stand is and that we're in this together.

This is the land where we have to spend millions just to keep them from redefining the legal term for "the people" to mean "government sponsored organization".

Think if the effort it will take to keep them from redefining the usual "Hunting Rifle" as "Sniper Rifle"

"Nobody needs..." is one I hear a lot at work. The standard response to this is generally somebody saying, "No, we need it for..." And I have done it a lot until recently as well.

I do not understand why our community is the one that has to prove "need." Nobody needs road bikes and 18 gears on their bikes, and yet I see those people on the street a lot. In fact, they cut me off on the way home a lot (I walk). Maybe we should ban bicycle's, or limit them to six gears so they don't go too fast; after all nobody NEEDS that kind of speed. You can get home just fine with a fixed gear even.

It seems more proper to me to me to force the "nobody needs" crowd to prove their personal need in getting rid of something. And then when they talk about crime or whatever other points they think they have, we can counter them with facts. Otherwise we are arguing over what we need or do not need and that is not a point a think you can win easily. Alternatively, Jose's point is a more fun way of doing this with hunters.

You can remind the fudds that they can get everything they need to eat in a store so there is no reason for them to have a gun to go hunting.
Maybe if they ever come to realize that we are all in this together and that what we loose will only lead to them loosing too. As the saying goes: "United we stand divided we fall".

Back
Top Bottom