• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This is why I quit ordering from Optics Planet...

allen-1

NES Member
I've got a couple of .22 rifles in CT that are setup the way I like them, a bolt-action Savage and a 10/22. So I'm setting up similar ones here. I've got a Marlin 880-SQ that I just cleaned up and put into a Stocky Evolution stock, (thumbhole). I want the same scope on it that I've got on the Savage in CT, so I looked around, and Optics Planet has it, (almost everyone else seems to have it back-ordered), and they've definitely got the best price on it.

Yeah... two warning signs I should have heeded.

I ordered two of the scopes last Wednesday, the 23rd along with a set of scope rings, (I have one set). Web site says 1-3 days to ship on the scope, 14-23 days to ship on the rings. So, when I don't hear anything about the scope in a couple of days, I call customer service.

They tell me that they don't actually have the scopes in stock, they're expecting them, hopefully by the end of the month... But that they will ship them when they come in, they won't wait for the scope rings to come in.

I really should have known better from past experience. They haven't hit my credit card yet, so they're not breaking any laws, they're just doing they're just doing their usual crap. The web site STILL shows the scope as shipping in 1 to 3 days...

I have a scope mounted on the Marlin, it's just not THE scope I want on it. Problem with the scope on it is that when you run it up, it goes up fine, but dialing it back down, it doesn't go back to the same place. It's not repeatable. So, for shooting where I want accuracy at different known differences, (silhouettes at 25/50/75/100 for example), it's just no good.

UPDATE:
The website still says that the scope ships in 1 to 3 days; and so does my order. I called customer service and the very nice young lady told me that it's back-ordered. I cancelled the order.

Went back online searching, some are now available on Amazon, I ordered (2) and they'll be here in a couple of days.

Last edited:
OP sorry to hear about your issues.

my experiences w optics planet have been very good. i once ordered the wrong sights for a beretta 92 vertec. the mistake was totally on me. the sights had even been opened and attempted to be mounted. optics planet allowed me to ship them back with exchange for the correct sights. no questions asked. no fees on my end. other orders from them have been smooth as well.

I had the same problem. I ordered a scope that from all I could tell was available and ready to ship. It was a Hawke scope that had a price I could not say no to. Well I forgot all about the scope and several weeks went buy before I said.....hmmm where's my scope.
A call to OP CS and found out it was back ordered...time went on and still nothing.
Few more calls a few weeks later and recieved a email.
Your item was discontinued from the factory. We will have to cancell your order.
They offered me another comparable scope for the same price. I declined and then recieved a email for a discount and free shipping.

That's their business model. List everything and stock nothing. I've been ignoring them for a few years now. Got burned. Didn't look back.

Last edited:
I've got a couple of .22 rifles in CT that are setup the way I like them, a bolt-action Savage and a 10/22. So I'm setting up similar ones here. I've got a Marlin 880-SQ that I just cleaned up and put into a Stocky Evolution stock, (thumbhole). I want the same scope on it that I've got on the Savage in CT, so I looked around, and Optics Planet has it, (almost everyone else seems to have it back-ordered), and they've definitely got the best price on it.

Yeah... two warning signs I should have heeded.

I ordered two of the scopes last Wednesday, the 23rd along with a set of scope rings, (I have one set). Web site says 1-3 days to ship on the scope, 14-23 days to ship on the rings. So, when I don't hear anything about the scope in a couple of days, I call customer service.

They tell me that they don't actually have the scopes in stock, they're expecting them, hopefully by the end of the month... But that they will ship them when they come in, they won't wait for the scope rings to come in.

I really should have known better from past experience. They haven't hit my credit card yet, so they're not breaking any laws, they're just doing they're just doing their usual crap. The web site STILL shows the scope as shipping in 1 to 3 days...

I have a scope mounted on the Marlin, it's just not THE scope I want on it. Problem with the scope on it is that when you run it up, it goes up fine, but dialing it back down, it doesn't go back to the same place. It's not repeatable. So, for shooting where I want accuracy at different known differences, (silhouettes at 25/50/75/100 for example), it's just no good.

I did my first order with them back in February. Ordered a really nice range bag backpack. Problem is that invoiced said it was gonna ship in 3-5 days. Then after 5 days it didn't ship. Customer service said they ran out and I missed out on one. Will take another week. Another week goes by and nothing. Then they say they have no idea why it hasn't shipped. It will ship within next two days. A week later nothing. Now customer service says they don't have any and don't know when they are coming in. All this time the're website says its in stock. Finally I get it delivered after about a month.
Wont be buying from them again.

That's they're business model. List everything and stock nothing. I've been ignoring them for a few years now. Got burned. Didn't look back.

we should makea list of online suppliers that do this. I ordered some gaming supplies from Newegg, a supposedly reputable vendor. The website said "in stock", but the reality was it shipped from frigin China and took 3 weeks to get. Many other online places are truthful, like amazon, if it says In Stock and amazon prime shipping, sometimes it shows up THE SAME DAY!

Yeah, it's not a law - it's in the agreement the merchant signs with the card processor.

No. The agreement is between the Merchant and the Card Networks (VI, MC, DI, AMEX). The card processor or payfac enforces the agreement by not processing the merchants cards if there are sufficient complaints.

Even though merchants always go through a payment processor or payfac they sign an agreement with the card networks.

The usual complaint if violated is the consumer calls the issuing bank. The issuing bank calls the payment processor or the acquiring bank for the payment processor. If there a payfac the payment processor will contact the payfac. The card networks rarely get involved if they don't have to.

Sorry OP, but FFS. If you knew it was their "usual crap", why did you bother? Just cancel the order and move on with your life.

Similar thing happened to me, however they had the same scope with a slightly less fancy reticle in stock so they just swapped that out for me instead, they shipped the thing out very fast though.

i read some really horrible reviews of optics planet and held off ordering anything from them, but got caught short one time and they were the only place that had what i wanted. experience was on par with everyone else, got my stuff in a timely manner and i was happy. i've used them several times since with the same results. no better, no worse than any other online vendor, yet.

Sorry OP, but FFS. If you knew it was their "usual crap", why did you bother? Just cancel the order and move on with your life.

Nobody in a brick and mortar store within a hundred miles has the scope I want, and nobody online that I ordinarily order from has it in stock. Optics Planet's website listed it as shipping in 1-3 days, and I didn't use good judgement. I ordered two of them. I got exactly what I deserved. If they don't show up in a couple of weeks, I'll try to find them somewhere else again.

It's just a reminder to me why I haven't ordered anything from them in several years.

we should makea list of online suppliers that do this. I ordered some gaming supplies from Newegg, a supposedly reputable vendor. The website said "in stock", but the reality was it shipped from frigin China and took 3 weeks to get. Many other online places are truthful, like amazon, if it says In Stock and amazon prime shipping, sometimes it shows up THE SAME DAY!

I've ordered thousands of dollars worth of stuff from newegg for probably 10-15 years and never had this happening. I suspect you missed some fine print somewhere about their "Newegg Global Marketplace" because everything I've had comes from their warehouse in NJ.

Regarding Optics Planet: best prices, worst inventory. If you're OK with waiting they have great prices.

On Newegg's site, at the top of the list is a button "Sold by". Click "Newegg" and you'll exclude all the other sellers. For me, this gets delivery the next day in most cases.

OpticsPlanet - I will order from them only if it says the item is in stock. They've been fine then. If it's not in stock, I generally find it's hit-and-miss with the time estimates, and, unless I really do not care when something shows up, I'll order it elsewhere. But their stock count generally seems accurate.

I cancelled my prime, and find that Amazon intentionally throttles the shipping process. My last order, for two in stock items, didn't ship for 5 days. When it did ship, it arrived the next day. It seems they go out of their way to deny next day shipping to non-prime customers. They didn't charge the card until it shipped.

The only company I've found that charges your card prematurely is Palmetto State Armory. IIRC they charged my card and then didn't ship my upper for 3 weeks.

I've received backordered items earlier than their posted dates. Generally, if you're not in a rush then their good prices, no taxes, free shipping and coupons are hard to beat.
Pretty much, this. If they are back ordered, I use them as a place holder while I look for the item elsewhere. I almost never find it in stock and cheaper than OP. But if I do, it is simple to cancel the order with them and go with the other vendor. On certain items, they have offered me exceptional deals on something ready to ship when a similar item is back ordered.

I ordered a primary arms 1-6x with acss reticle and mount from optics planet a week ago. They called and said it was out of stock. They offered a vortex strike eagle for the same cost. No complaints here!

Optics Planet COMPLETELY butchered an order I placed for light bearing Safariland Holsters for a few guys on department. I had to call them 5 times to get them to fix it properly. Customer service said, we're not processing new order until we get the old one back, which would have added 3-4 days to another 3 week lead time (custom order holsters). Then they made me go wade through their online RMA process, which didn't even work because the (WRONG) order they shipped me wasn't even listed in their system under the order number they gave me.

Never again.

Waiting about a month for 2 front sights from LApolicegear. One was supposed to be a 3-5 day backorder, the other 10-12 days.

No problem with a holster that was in stock, but won't buy anything again if it is backordered.

Their website is one of those kinds that you know doesn't have everything in stock because they pretty much list everything that can be purchased down the retail pike. The only places that can actually pull that off are the big ones like Cabelas or Bass Pro. These small guys pretend they have it in stock, but they just order it wait until it is drop shipped (which is usually later than sooner). They likely get a large percentage of their orders canceled, but they're obviously able to sell enough to keep in business this long.

I stay away from places like that.

They really do suck, I've had problems and so has my buddy who got strung along for over a month on a $1,200 vortex scope. My Bushnell elite tactical scope took 2-1/2 weeks to arrive, it was listed as in stock.

I've come to find out a majority of what they list on their site they don't actually have in their physical inventory, they ship direct from the manufacturer. Therefore you're at the mercy of the manufacturer and when they get around to packing and shipping your order.

That being said, I tend to buy from Amazon now.

Back
Top Bottom