• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This is why I quit ordering from Optics Planet...

Having been in the e-commerce business for a bit now, I can say that backorders suck from everyone's perspective, mostly because getting actual ETAs on stuff coming in is horrendous, and tenuous at best even when you have an answer from a manufacturer. Some of the manufacturers are great about this - others are like communication blackholes from which no information can escape.

Shameless plug for EuroOptic, we stock everything physically here that's marked as in stock. We do take backorders if people want to do so, but stuff not in stock is marked as such.

I'll pile on... I ordered a rifle bag from them about a month or so ago. Item did not indicate that it was out of stock or back ordered on their website or else I wouldn't have made the purchase. I received an email later that night say that my estimated ship date was: "no available estimate". I emailed them to ask about this and they said the item was out of stock. I cancelled the order and moved on. I put them on "the list" and probably wont order from them in the future unless I am desperate.

I've probably ordered about 15 times from Optics Planet. Always good prices and always on time. YMMV

I've had the same thing happen with them. Online they say they're in stock. But once the order is placed they tell you otherwise.

+1 No more business from me
Had one good purchasing experience with them and went for second purchase a few months later. Bought a last years model, good price. Made the purchase, watched the online # available drop accordingly and they charged my card. Within next day or two I was notified that the model I ordered was not actually available. OK, I call their CS dept and see if they will make good with posted price or work with me on price for this years model. They offer me a 5% discount which is same from a code on the side of box from my last purchase, which was less than I had applied on original purchase (dated deal). I did get refund and won't go back. They tied up my $$ for a few days, I had to call them for them to confirm I wasn't going to spend more for new model and request them to release it. I used their "Contact us" site and expressed my concerns....... not even a reply back....... Might have been my "bait and switch" reference. I'll spend a few more pennies with reputable sellers.

I ordered a primary arms 1-6x with acss reticle and mount from optics planet a week ago. They called and said it was out of stock. They offered a vortex strike eagle for the same cost. No complaints here!
At least they called you back. I responded to a listing here on NES for a Garand for sale and followed up with 2 PM's and the person never responded.

I had some dealing with Optics Planet that left a bad taste in my mouth. I now order from Georgia Optics and they more than deliver every time. The guys from G.O. also drive all the up to the show here in Massachusetts. Good luck in your future purchases OP!

Twice burned by OP recently. This week i ordered parts for a nice 11.5 inch upper since i had a receiver hanging around. All the parts were in stock. Faxon barrel, midwest hand guard, vg6 brake etc. Get an email that the order shipped but the barrel is 3-6 months or something ridiculous. I'm all set with them.

I still haven’t received 2 5 slot rails and a sling attachment I ordered from Larue the first week of July.
Sign of the times, shitty service, both.

I will only order anything from them if it is in stock.

The problem with that, in my experiences with OP is that when you order items from them that are listed as "in stock", the status changes when you actually place your order - now they're back-ordered.

I quit using them as a vendor the second or third time that this happened to me.

Optics Planet has always been good to me. They got me scope mounts for a Browning A-Bolt(super short magnum in silver) when no one else would even back order them. I ordered a synthetic stock (Remington) for my 742 and they kept the backorder for 10 months. I paid $ 42.00 for it. I was seeing the same synthetic stock going on ebay for over $ 200. If you want something and can't find it anywhere and Optics has it listed you will get it sooner or later. That is where they are the very best! I get tired of trying to order from other web sites and keep seeing "discontinued". It may take a while but Optics has sure delivered for me.

I ordered a rds from Dvor (their discount site) almost two weeks ago that said was in stock. Still hasn’t shipped. I’m in no rush for it and it was $50 cheaper than anywhere else. However if it doesn’t show up within another week or two I’ll definitely cancel the order.

yep, this has been discussed a few times before, they are hit or miss. the main complaint is pretty common, everything is listed in stock, a lot of times it's not, and the customer waits while optics planet waits. the secondary complaint is lack of communication. where any other vendor would reply with an email regarding availability of your item, optics planet goes on radio silence. i've had friends who've had great luck with them and others had that one and done experience. you can go to any gun forum and read the same hit or miss comments as here.

Twice burned by OP recently. This week i ordered parts for a nice 11.5 inch upper since i had a receiver hanging around. All the parts were in stock. Faxon barrel, midwest hand guard, vg6 brake etc. Get an email that the order shipped but the barrel is 3-6 months or something ridiculous. I'm all set with them.

similar experiences circa 2015. I havent used them since then and have zero intention. Their business model appears to revolve around dishonest methods to acquire orders that cannot be fulfilled anytime soon, coupled with barriers to order cancellation. Unfortunately I think this strategy works well for their sales although customers with any shred of acumen will learn the lesson.

I ordered some Body Armor from them. Website said ships in 3-5days. Got an email after placing the order that it was 8 weeks out.
It was 8 weeks to the day and the date of manufacture was 3 days before it was received.
I kinda figured it was going to be a while when I placed the order, and the price was great. Yeah the wait sucked but in the end I got exactly what I paid for and it was a good value. I would not have received it any quicker from another vendor.
If other sellers could have shipped quicker I would have cancelled the order.

I buy a lot from them and pretty much if it says in stock it is else you can view their estimated lead time.. now I will say their estimated lead time is very unreliable both ways, ie things regularly ship way sooner or later, but their suppliers are not in their realm of control so that is to be expected.

I think usually these complaints with things being out of stock are that folks miss the fine print that says otherwise, ie maybe one model was but not what you ordered. Keep in mind though you can cancel an order online in like 20 seconds. Ie whatever the reason, if your order all the sudden is backordered you can actually cancel it using that specific reason, no phone call, a few clicks and you get a confirmation. They don't charge you until it ships either. Many other vendors do not make it so easy.

Last order from them was a pair of Aero M5 charging handles, ordered Tuesday afternoon and they showed up Friday, free shipping, $15 off, plus my optics planet bucks. There are other great vendors but nobody else would beat that.

In the background I have 2 barrels on backorder, one you can't order from the vendor when it's not in stock, both at good prices. Estimated ship time says November on both, that's just fine, I am in line and eventually I will get my stuff and without having to constantly check for who has it in stock, likely faster than trying to find them in stock too.

I ordered a primary arms 1-6x with acss reticle and mount from optics planet a week ago. They called and said it was out of stock. They offered a vortex strike eagle for the same cost. No complaints here!
Primary Arms is the first place I go to for certain items. I ordered a scope mount on a Saturday night and was in my hands by Tuesday using their cheapest shipping option. They have real time inventory controls and their shipping department is tier one.

I've ordered from Optics Planet a few times in the past. Typically see stuff within a week or so.

Cases in point. I ordered a RDS a month ago and had it show up a week and a half later. I ordered a holster last week, noted as "Ships in 2 to 5 days" and had it go out today, 5 business days after I placed the order.

Considering they had the best prices I could find across multiple sites, I can live with that.

I'm in the never again camp. I ordered an in stock item recently and for two and a half weeks it sat there "being fulfilled," which status also meant cancellation via their website was prohibited. I had to call the "I want to place a new order" line to get someone to pick up the phone and cancel the order. The delay was frustrating, but locking up my funds and time on the pretense that the order was being processed is unacceptable.

I have some 9mm ammo on backorder with them. They sent me an email 2 weeks ago saying they needed to verify my charge card or the order would be canceled. They were supposed to charge some random small amounts and I needed to email them with the amounts to verify. So far I haven't seen anything, and I'll probably just let them cancel the order.

I order a bunch of stuff online, and this is the first time a merchant has pulled this BS.

I've given them multiple chances and they pull this shit every time. Closed my account and told them they lost my business for good.

It seems to only issue here is the way they list things. Anytime something says “estimated ship in x days”, it’s the equivalent of a back order. Their estimates are indeed usually generous (in their favor), but in most cases it’s not like you can find the same item anywhere else, get it any sooner, and rarely cheaper. So what’s the real complaint here? If you understand you are back ordering something, they are fine. They don’t charge you until they have it and are shipping it. If you happen to find the item somewhere else you just cancel the back order.

If you are expecting to get something from them that’s out of stock everywhere, immediately, and for cheaper, you have unreasonable expectations.

I’ve waited longer than there estimate claims, but I wouldn’t have been able to get the same stuff anywhere else any sooner. They don’t have a magic supplier nobody else has.

If I need something now, then I’m firstly, not looking for something that’s not available anywhere, and secondly not using optics planet. But especially in winter when I’m not shooting as much, and instead building guns, they’re great.

Does Optics Planet charge the card at the time of order of fulfillment?

And, if they go over 30 days do you get an offer to cancel from them.

" If you make no shipment statement, you must have a reasonable basis for believing that you can ship within 30 days "

Does Optics Planet charge the card at the time of order of fulfillment?

And, if they go over 30 days do you get an offer to cancel from them.

" If you make no shipment statement, you must have a reasonable basis for believing that you can ship within 30 days "

Keep in mind pending charges are not actual charges, not sure how OP does it exactly other than they *do not* actually charge until it is ready to ship, but many companies verify the charge with your bank/CC and it stays "pending" for awhile until either they actually take the $$ or it clears from your pending transactions without a charge. How your bank/CC treats that pending charge could vary.

You can cancel an OP order at any time up until they are getting ready to ship. It is just an automated thing, a few clicks and the order is canceled, which is why I roll my eyes at the freak outs over backordered stuff.

Back
Top Bottom