This isn't good news.

I'll bet that there wasn't a fully automatic weapon (other than the police) within five miles of that club. Reporters will say anything to embellish their "stories".

Honestly, I'd give the reporters the benfit of the doubt to the reporters. Most people in this state (and sadly in this country) only know about guns from what the media, anti-gun lobbies, and polititions (all of which are reading the same crib sheets....which as we know are mostly falce)

The average Joe sees an AR-15, they assume its a "Machine Gun" and most people also assume that anything "Military-style" must be grossly overpowered compared to hunting weapons that are somehow "less dangerous" in thier minds.

The lies just get repeated enugh times that they become "Common Knowledge" and in that "Truth"

We just need to speak out against mis-information like this, and definetly speak out against people like the New Bedford Chief who should know better than to say the things he's said.

-Weer'd Beard

The people are misinformed because the law misinforms them. The Assault Weapons Ban (which passed in 1994 and expired in 2004) actually labeled -- incorrectly as it may be, it was still a label -- certain semi-automatic weapons as being "assault" weapons. So, that's where Joe Public gets his information from; Congress passes a poorly-written law and the media report on it (often poorly themselves).

I just wrote a paper detailing this exact thing [grin]

I was just watching some of it on channel 6 and the reporters asked the police chief more questions about the guns and how much firepower the shooter had than questions about the police officers,the patrons and what might have caused this. Also I believe it was the mayor that was speaking after and he said he could hear the shots 2 miles away and first thought it was construction but then knew it was a military weapon and that he than heard an automatic pistol and knew it was an exchange of gunfire.
It is obvious with questions and statements like these what their agenda is and it is also obvious that most if not all of them don't know much about firearms.

Also I believe it was the mayor that was speaking after and he said he could hear the shots 2 miles away and first thought it was construction but then knew it was a military weapon and that he than heard an automatic pistol and knew it was an exchange of gunfire.

We need to find this quoted somewhere... [rofl] This Mayor is lying through his teeth... [thinking]

I was just watching some of it on channel 6 and the reporters asked the police chief more questions about the guns and how much firepower the shooter had than questions about the police officers,the patrons and what might have caused this. Also I believe it was the mayor that was speaking after and he said he could hear the shots 2 miles away and first thought it was construction but then knew it was a military weapon and that he than heard an automatic pistol and knew it was an exchange of gunfire.
It is obvious with questions and statements like these what their agenda is and it is also obvious that most if not all of them don't know much about firearms.

I heard one "reporter" on WRKO call it an "automatic weapon". Your right wahsben - misrepresentation only succeeds in causing a knee jerk reaction with the general public. The uneducated don't know what it takes to get a full auto and so they think folks are just running around with them. Nothing gets my BP up more than that. [angry]

I am in central Ma. and was watching channel 6 which is Fox here and it was on approximately an hour ago so Fox should be able to provide us with the interview of the Chief and Mayor.

Lynne, sadly most people just want to accept the news as it is fed to them instead of finding out the truth and learning about the subject being discussed. I have a friend that I was going to give some information that disputes and dissproves his believes but he does not even want to read it. You can't make an informed decision about things unless you look at all sides. Most of the media and politicians misrepresent on purpose because it serves their purpose which is disarmament of the general population.

Just a few miles from my house and I didn't hear anything.[thinking] Saw it all over the news and everyone here in NB is talking about it, inlcuding the Mayor's satement saying no one should have these types of weapons, etc. etc.
I'm glad I got my RRA lower this past weekend!
My wife and I are trying to find out if the bouncer killed is the same guy we know by that name. I hadn't seen him in years but heard he was managing a strip club in Providence a while back, I just hope its not the same Robert Carreiro I know. I have a feeling it is though because he was a few years younger than me.
www.southcoasttoday.com (our local news paper here) has lots of info.
I tell ya, New Hampshire is looking better and better than New Bedford every day I wake up.

I heard one "reporter" on WRKO call it an "automatic weapon". Your right wahsben - misrepresentation only succeeds in causing a knee jerk reaction with the general public. The uneducated don't know what it takes to get a full auto and so they think folks are just running around with them. Nothing gets my BP up more than that. [angry]

First, let me state that I'm extremely pro 2A, and I agree with the above 100%.

NOW, it actually pains me to pose this question... but I'm doing so in hopes of finding a good counter argument. When we hear "automatic weapons" being used in a crime we (as educated, legal gun owners) first think it's probably wrong; knowing how difficult NFA's are to obtain. My question is: why is this? And isn't this what the anti's are looking to achieve with ALL firearms? If it can be somewhat successful for NFA's, why not almost anything else? If it's the expense, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to slap ridiculous taxes on all firearms for civilian use.

I'd like to think the restrictions on NFA weapons aren't the reason for their rarity... or maybe we're mistaken on how rarely they fall into the wrong hands?

It's not the restrictions. It's the cost of the gun. Which is why most gang bangers use Glocks... Supply and demand works in the underground too...

I'd like to think the restrictions on NFA weapons aren't the reason for their rarity... or maybe we're mistaken on how rarely they fall into the wrong hands?

It's not the NFA of 1934 that's making them scarce, it's the horribly misnamed "Firearms Owners Protection Act" (FOPA) of 1986.

From Wikipedia:
A last-minute provision that was added to the act prevents the ATF from accepting the federal tax mandated by the National Firearms Act for the civilian registration of a fully automatic firearm, automatic sear, drop-in sear, or similar device which provides fully automatic fire, the date of manufacture for which was after May 19, 1986. This effectively banned their manufacture except for law enforcement, military, or export, which require different registration forms. However, fully automatic firearms and sears manufactured and registered with ATF prior to May 19, 1986, can still be transferred to private citizens after payment of the $200 transfer tax.

There have not been any legal fully automatic weapons put into non-LEO "civilian" hands in 20 years. Most of the ones that were in civilian hands are now in civilian collections. The price has skyrocketed, and will not come down until the laws change.

Note that if they "fall into" the wrong hands, they are likely not legal.

Last edited:
I forgot to add that he said he heard it 2 miles away and it sounded like a cannon. I wonder what he would say if a real cannon went off? Probably something like it sounded like a nuclear blast.
He was on channel 7 news saying the same stuff again.
Pilgrim, yes it is strange to wear body armor and then kill yourself. I have not heard for sure though that he was wearing body armor.

First, let me state that I'm extremely pro 2A, and I agree with the above 100%.

NOW, it actually pains me to pose this question... but I'm doing so in hopes of finding a good counter argument. When we hear "automatic weapons" being used in a crime we (as educated, legal gun owners) first think it's probably wrong; knowing how difficult NFA's are to obtain.

My question is: why is this? And isn't this what the anti's are looking to achieve with ALL firearms? If it can be somewhat successful for NFA's, why not almost anything else? If it's the expense, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to slap ridiculous taxes on all firearms for civilian use.

First of all, stop believing the myth that machine guns are made of
unobtainium. The vast majority of criminal machine guns are either
stolen or homebrew variety. All it takes is a machinist with half a brain
to make any semiautomatic rifle a machine gun.

The reason there aren't real incidents with machine guns very often is
that it's a lot easier for joe criminal to get a non machine gun, and the
criminals that do the "conversions" apparently haven't found it profitable
enough to do on a regular basis. The other huge reason it's not
frequently done is the guys that sell guns illegally know, that federally
speaking, a regular Title I gun is legal, and a machinegun certainly
isn't, and carries an applicable huge federal prison sentence. (Keeping
in mind, that in like 40+ states, mere posession of a regular handgun or
a rifle in your home or car is not illegal!)

The thing I hate the most about the media- is that WRT so called
"assault" weapons, is that they fail to tell people that semiautomatic
rifles, or even illegal machine guns, are used in a VERY SMALL minority
of crimes. Compared to the amount of shootings via handguns, rifle
deaths are a drop in the bucket.

After all, is an AR with a sear in it -really- that much more powerful? It
might have a higher rate of fire, but in untrained hands the "effective"
rate of fire with a fully automatic weapon might actually be
worse. (eg, the ratio of shots fired to shots that actually hit
something. ) .

So not only is the "assault rifle/weapon" myth propogated a lot,
but theres also a lot of people pushing the myth that a machinegun is
somehow or another dramatically more dangerous than a regular rifle
is. (perfect example- the LA bank shootout involved FA weapons, and only a
few police were injured, and nobody was killed except for the perpetrators... and the
perps laid down well over 1000 rounds in the area during the confrontation!)

FWIW, real, true blue, NFA registered weapons are rarely used to
commit crimes. The reason being is that the individuals who jump through
all the flaming hoops to get a machinegun legally, 99.9% of the time, are NOT
criminals. Do I agree with the flaming hoops? No. It does explain why NFA
guns are almost never used in crime, however.

IMO the terminology the media uses sucks, but frankly the hoplophobes
that don't like machineguns are the same people that also want to
ban handguns. There might be some wishy-washies in the
middle, but I don't think thats the majority. The biggest problem we
face as gun owners is apathy about gun rights, which only has a little to
do with the media. Let's put it this way- if a person isn't a gun owner, or
isn't friends with one, then they likely care very little about the issue
regardless of their political persuasion. This allows the antis to get away
with banning stuff, simply because nobody opposes it. It isn't because
all of the people WANT the gun control, its just that they don't care
enough about the issue to say anything about it. I'll be the first person to
tell you, that a decade ago, I could have cared less one way or the other if
they had banned everything. I wasn't an anti, but at the time I had
looked at the laws and felt like we were already defeated. Then I realized
that one of my best friends had owned guns and my tune changed
entirely. Then I went to the range with him for the first time, and from
that point onward I was convinced that guns were worth having
around, and that salvaging whatever rights we had left was worth
fighting for. Having first person perspective changes everything,
IMO. The biggest challenge we face is that to most people, guns are a
relatively alien concept... think about that for a minute. How can we
get people to care about something they barely know, or are only exposed
to on TV?

edit: FWIW, the only reason NFA weapons are taxed is because the taxation bit was
used as a dirty trick to squeak the original NFA past the supreme court. It was politically
marketed as a "tax" as opposed to a "ban", so it could evade possible 2nd amendment
issues. Since the govt sold their case as "taxation" instead of outright prohibition they let it
slide.

-Mike

Last edited:
If he was wearing body armor with the intent to commit suicide I think he wore it to make sure he wouldn't be fatally shot before he accomplished out what ever it was that he set out to do.

He was in there earlier. Got touchy feely with one of the girls. Got asked to leave. Refused to do so. Got bounced with force. Got pissed went home, loaded up and came back for pay back.

I heard this on 1030AM at lunch. They said it was a semi-automatic and that the perp had a LTC A and was in legal possesion of these firearms. The reporter also mentioned that he had no prior convictions but he had a "cache" of guns... Regardless, it's a sad day for all of us. It pains me to see such blatent disregard for life.

Why is it a "Cache"? Why isn't it a collection or assortment?

If you father passes away at 80 will the police report say he had a large cache of guns or will it say he had a large collection of firearms?

Gotta love the media.

If you father passes away at 80 will the police report say he had a large cache of guns or will it say he had a large collection of firearms?

Gotta love the media.

+1 I was thinking it was a fairly accurate report until I heard this. It clear that a "cache" has a negative connotation... I'm sure it wasn't a mistake either. No surprises...

cache: a hidden store of things, especially weapons or valuables;a secret place where a store of things is kept hidden

I think you guys are focusing on the wrong thing. The fact that something like this can (and does) happen in a state where firearms are tightly regulated proves that such bans are ineffective. Forget about all this nonsense about the media not knowing gun nomenclature--that doesn't matter. The fact is that gun laws make it highly likely that the only people who will have guns are criminals. All the cost and bureaucracy associated with tighter gun regulation does absolutely nothing to make people safer. That's the message we should all be hammering home.

Gotta love the media.

If they called it a "cache" it was less than 5. More than that and the proper media term is "arsenal".

+1 I was thinking it was a fairly accurate report until I heard this. It clear that a "cache" has a negative connotation... I'm sure it wasn't a mistake either. No surprises...

cache: a hidden store of things, especially weapons or valuables;a secret place where a store of things is kept hidden

This is like the police searching a home and announcing that they found "bomb making materials." What kind of bomb making materials? Wire, batteries, clocks and electrical tape. What home WOULDN'T have these so-called bomb making materials?

The fact that something like this can (and does) happen in a state where firearms are tightly regulated proves that such bans are ineffective.

This is nothing new, and with a 70% democratic voting base in this state there is nothing we can do to fight it.

This is nothing new, and with a 70% democratic voting base in this state there is nothing we can do to fight it.

We can try to fight it and we should.. but this should be no surprise to us. All we can do it continue trying to educate people on the benefits of legal gun use- as a sport, hobby, etc. We have a tough situation in MA... we're clearly in the minority... wait... maybe the ACLU can help us. [rolleyes]

NB COP was on WRKO, and he was totally throwing us under the bus.

News: It sounds like it was a guy with a grudge against a stripper or somthing like that. The COP said that he entered the club looking for a person who he had a dispute with.

But between bits of important news he was spewing tripe to poison the water for us. He was calling it a "Military-Style Weapon" and "M-16" And was talking about "Ammunition capable of penatrating a car", as if a car was ever much of a ballistic sheild.

The worst part this little line: "When an officer ever encounters a man with an M-16 anywhere in the country the officers are out-gunned. This is a MILITARY WEAPON."

...mentioned that one of the wounded officers was attempting to retriev his rifle from the trunk of his vehicle (I'm guessing a CAR-15)

...but when an officer who's job is to serve and protect us uses somthing like this to spread lies and propiganda, I just see red!

Grrrrr

Who, this guy?

Lang: Put 'teeth' in gun laws

If he was wearing body armor with the intent to commit suicide I think he wore it to make sure he wouldn't be fatally shot before he accomplished out what ever it was that he set out to do.

He was in there earlier. Got touchy feely with one of the girls. Got asked to leave. Refused to do so. Got bounced with force. Got pissed went home, loaded up and came back for pay back.

I was thinking along a parallel line that he was dating one of the girls and asked her to quit this job. She quit him, and then he flipped.

People are funny (not like a clown) sometimes.

We can try to fight it and we should.. but this should be no surprise to us. All we can do it continue trying to educate people on the benefits of legal gun use- as a sport, hobby, etc. We have a tough situation in MA... we're clearly in the minority... wait... maybe the ACLU can help us. [rolleyes]

What about protection, self defense, or other reasons? I just read here yesterday somewhere that the 2nd never mentions sports or hunting.

Last edited:
Maybe we should just let them ban all guns in this sorry ass excuse of a state. That way in ten years when the crime and murder rate hasn’t gone down they’ll be forced to admit that blaming an inanimate object isn’t the way to go. God I can’t wait to move out of this crap hole. I’m ashamed to say I grew up here. North Carolina here I come baby!

Bad News!!!!

Strip Club Shooting Suspect Had Valid Gun License

The Freetown man who police say opened fire in a New Bedford strip club Tuesday morning was licensed to carry a gun and had no history of violence.

[...]

Abbott says a new license was issued in 2005 and would have permitted Medeiros to purchase an assault-style military rifle.

Abbott says a background check conducted before the 2005 licensing showed Medeiros had not been convicted of any felonies or violent crimes, and had no restraining orders against him.

Don't expect anyone in the Massachusetts State House to see this guy what he was, a statistical anomoly. Here we have a regular guy who just snapped one day and decided to go on a murderous rampage. Doesn't happen very often, but the press will more than make up for that with their wall-to-wall coverage of this tragedy.

Sadly, his action wil be used to broad-brush the rest of the state's gun owners as a bunch of simmering, ticking timebombs, who simply can't be trusted to possess these dangerous, mind-altering killing machines.

You can forget about anyone like Jarrett Barrios reading about this event and thinking "Gee, this guy could have inflicted just as much damage by driving his car through the club's parking lot at closing time, mowing down pedestrians along the way, or by walking into the club and swinging a machete at anything that moved. Maybe, the fault here lies not with the gun, after all. I mean that was merely the tool chosen to carry out the wishes of the deranged person holding it."

That would require the acceptance of an alternate reality, the one most of us live in everyday.

You are right Bruce. No matter what you do there will always be CRAZY people in society. You can ban everything and people will still get murdered...

What about protection, self defense, or other reasons? I just read here yesterday somewhere that the 2nd never mentions sports or hunting.

Ahh, great question IMO. I did say "etc" however... I've found that "most" rational people can understand the sport and hunting aspect of gun ownership. What makes the "anti's" cringe is when we mention the use of guns for personal protection. I don't shy away from these discussions but I usually am carefull as to how I answer it. Most people will at least understand the justification of deadly force to protect themselves or their family.. but many don't for some reason. My wife still doesn't understand why someone would need it... even after I've explained it countless times.... oh well, I guess people think the police will always be there for them...

Back
Top Bottom