• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thompson / Center TCR22

TrackDayRdr

NES Member
T/CR22® - Thompson/Center

Who owns one of these? What do you think? I have a Gucci Ruger 10/22 that I built with few OEM parts remaining aside from some screws and the receiver, but when I picked up the TCR22 at Shooter's I instantly fell in love. What are your experiences? Do you use it for range plinking or hunting?

I have one, it is pretty nice ergonomics and build quality compared with the stock Ruger 10/22. One thing I do not like though it their special magazines,they are not that easy to load. But you can use regular 10/22 magazines. The T/CR22 trigger was really not better out of the box than the stock Ruger, I was a little disappointed in that.

I think mr. enbloc has one and documented it pretty well here if you want to search. i'm sure when he sees the thread heading he'll stop in and help you also.

tacsol and magnum research also make some super cool gucci 10/22's. i picked up a magnum research MLR-1722 (10/22 clone) a few years back and couldn't be more impressed especially for the price. to upgrade a ruger 10/22 the same would cost twice as much and still have the ugly ruger receiver. if i were in the market now i would probably go with a tacsol X-ring. they make a model with L sided charging handle which is pretty cool.

X-Ring™ Rifles — Tactical Solutions

Yep. Big fan of my T/CR22. It is everything an entry-level .22LR semi-auto rifle should have... and they're O.E.M. components.
Don't get me wrong, I have several Ruger 10/22's fitted out differently, and love them all,
but all those took quite a bit of "upgrades" (sounds like "Volkswagen"...[smile]) to get the rifles where the T/CR22 starts off...

Additionally, I found the T/C barrel superior to a stock Ruger barrel with regards to out-of-the-box accuracy.

My only complaint so far has been the proprietary Bolt Hold Open (BHO) appendage on the T/C magazine.

~Matt

Liking the concept but after some self-evaluation I can't see myself picking it up to shoot when I have to reach past my Kidd-kitted 10/22. If the T/CR22 came with a bull barrel I would have a hard time resisting. Maybe that variant is in the cards.

Liking the concept but after some self-evaluation I can't see myself picking it up to shoot when I have to reach past my Kidd-kitted 10/22. If the T/CR22 came with a bull barrel I would have a hard time resisting. Maybe that variant is in the cards.

And that is the crux of it. You had to kit up your stock Ruger with Kidd components to get something more than "bone-stock."
The T/CR22 comes with $300-$350 dollars worth of extras out of the box. As a new shooter's "first" .22LR rifle it is hard to find its peer in a major-manufacturer offering.
~Matt

To be clear, the comparison is between a "stock" Ruger 10/22 base model and a T/Cr22 "stock" base model...

49011-DEFAULT-l.jpg

1103.jpg

And that is the crux of it. You had to kit up your stock Ruger with Kidd components to get something more than "bone-stock."
The T/CR22 comes with $300-$350 dollars worth of extras out of the box. As a new shooter's "first" .22LR rifle it is hard to find its peer in a major-manufacturer offering.

Not arguing the point. If I didn't already have a Gucci 10/22 and was in the market for a squirrel killer I would grab the T/CR22 in a second...but...moot point. I still wouldn't say the T/CR22 has $300+ of accessories that the 10/22 doesn't. That Magpul stock is a stripped down version of the Hunter X-22 and besides some sights and a cleaning port, it's a modernization of the 10/22 but not a revolution. Still, I'd choose the T/CR22 if I were buying.

I'll be interested again when they come out with a HB version.

T/CR22® - Thompson/Center

Who owns one of these? What do you think? I have a Gucci Ruger 10/22 that I built with few OEM parts remaining aside from some screws and the receiver, but when I picked up the TCR22 at Shooter's I instantly fell in love. What are your experiences? Do you use it for range plinking or hunting?
Bought the package deal from Bud's - $290 - included gun, soft case, sling and red/green dot. The gun is great (but had trigger issues) and the soft case is good (holds scoped gun). The red/green dot works ... but pretty cheap. Sling is a sling. RE. the trigger: mine was heavy and gritty with a mushy release - almost impossible to do less than 2" at 50 yards with my 3-12x Bushnell (inexpensive) Banner. I bought a Ruger BX trigger but it would not allow the bolt to release forward. Got in touch with S&W and explained that my trigger was not at all like various respected reviews and seemed faulty. They sent me a PP Fedex label and 3 weeks later my trigger was returned and is excellent. 1 inch at 50 yds is standard using CCI SV's. I bought this semi auto for a "5 Steel" game we shoot at 20 yards - using the stock peeps. And we shoot paper 1 inch bull games at 50 yards using glass - this gun is way better at this game than I imagined it would be - but not quite up to my CZ's. and KSA 722 Varmint.

Back
Top Bottom