• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on 9MM

Don't get too stressed over paying a bit more. Shooting a bit less will help ration your stash and keep impulse buying at bay.
I've seen other sources with 24¢ ammo, but that's being a member and includes free shipping. If you're not a member, I suppose you'll be right at the 30¢ plus area.
Now, if you settle on $30 and higher boxes of 115g FMJ, I'd say slow down and think about it a bit...

...either that or gather up your brass and see one of your reloading friends.
Heck, you can come down and sit at my bench, if 145g HP (Am. Reload. variety), 147g HST or 95g FMJ are acceptable, but I doubt many will want to take the drive. Live-fire onsite.

Last edited:
You'd have to be completely out of your mind to pay that much for any 9mm ammo.

Or deep pockets and a very skewed sense of value. I know people who drop big money on membership and greens fees for country club golf. That type of person wouldn't balk at even defensive round pricing right now.

I caved and bought a case recently from Target for like $0.36/rd for brass ball because I'm going nuts without some range time. But now that I have it in hand, I feel like Golem holding his precious. I can't even get myself to open a box, let alone go to a range and fire them. lol. Prior to this it was, "well, I have 1 case on hand, but I need to save that one. I'll buy another to shoot." Now it's, "well, I have two cases on hand, but I need to save those". Time for a third case?
Exactly, replace before you use, get that third case and tap into case #1 at 500 rounds you should be looking for case #4 .....
One thing I picked up from my dad is to replace 2 for 1 before your planned range day. Then buy your ammo from yourself.
if 50 rounds cost you $25 stuff $30 in a cash box in your ammo locker. This gives you cash in hand when time to stock up.

You'd have to be completely out of your mind to pay that much for any 9mm ammo.

Not really, not if you believe the alternative is eventually going to be flippers or actual scarcity. If things get worse, the flippers will have most of the ammo and they will try to sell it for 50-60 cpr instead of 30.

It can get worse. A LOT worse. Let's say we all get lucky and by Christmas the prices start to recede. (odds of this are limited, but not impossible). Then worse case scenario I spent a little extra on some insurance cases of ammo, and IMHO that would still have been cheap insurance. The stujff I saw duiring the obamascares was nuts, most shops didn't have ammo or were rationing to 3 boxes a trip, sometimes 1 box, even. That amount is so small it's not even worth walking into a shop for. Only the flippers actually had full cases of ammo, and they were full on Cosby BBQ sauce mode. Paying a little extra is one thing, but there's no way I'm giving a flipper my money. Not now, not ever. Going from 18 to 30 cpr is merely annoying.... Going to a flipper at 50 or 60 cpr just to get a case of ammo is basically consenting to Cosby level rape. f*** that noise.

I feel pretty good about the walmart 9mm I bought a few month back for $89.00 a thousand ..... had to make 2 trips to the car
Nice! I didn’t get any 9 since I reload but I scored a ton of 223 and x39.
Funny you bring this up as I was just reminiscing by reading that Walmart thread.

Nice! I didn’t get any 9 since I reload but I scored a ton of 223 and x39.
Funny you bring this up as I was just reminiscing by reading that Walmart thread.

I reload 9mm also..... and pretty much shoot reloads exclusively.... just couldn't pass up the deal..... it all went into the strategic stock pile

I reload 9mm also..... and pretty much shoot reloads exclusively.... just couldn't pass up the deal..... it all went into the strategic stock pile

Even though I'm getting back into reloading, I still end up doing both. I just buy a lot less commercial when I'm loading... and more of that money goes to mats instead of boxes of finished ammo.

You were smarter than me. Had I known what would happen just months later, I would have bought 9 too for friends of mine.

Why can't people buy all the .22 again and leave primers and 9mm alone.

I don't even care about 9mm, just leave the dam primers alone.

Reloading sucks and is super dangerous, you all need to stop reloading.

Not really, not if you believe the alternative is eventually going to be flippers or actual scarcity. If things get worse, the flippers will have most of the ammo and they will try to sell it for 50-60 cpr instead of 30.

It can get worse. A LOT worse. Let's say we all get lucky and by Christmas the prices start to recede. (odds of this are limited, but not impossible). Then worse case scenario I spent a little extra on some insurance cases of ammo, and IMHO that would still have been cheap insurance. The stujff I saw duiring the obamascares was nuts, most shops didn't have ammo or were rationing to 3 boxes a trip, sometimes 1 box, even. That amount is so small it's not even worth walking into a shop for. Only the flippers actually had full cases of ammo, and they were full on Cosby BBQ sauce mode. Paying a little extra is one thing, but there's no way I'm giving a flipper my money. Not now, not ever. Going from 18 to 30 cpr is merely annoying.... Going to a flipper at 50 or 60 cpr just to get a case of ammo is basically consenting to Cosby level rape. f*** that noise.

oh.. like this guy?
WTS - 1200 ROUNDS OF FEDERAL 115 FMJ 9MM

Pretty much at max demand right now - unless there is major disruption to manufacturing I don’t think we will see prices jump much more. In fact, they seems to be stabilizing right now. It’s interesting to note with even historic/end of the world type demand ammo is still readily available (just at high prices).

Not sure if serious.🤔
I think that it means of more than onee caliber. Not dispersed amongst other calibers also.

Multiple of one caliber. And multiple calibers. Thus if 9 dries up you got 10mm. 5.56 dries, you got 7.62×39. And so on

Not sure if serious.🤔

.40 is the way to go. It is superior in every way to every cartridge ever made. Come, join those of us in the know.

John is an avid shooter and owns 10 firearms. 8 handguns and 2 carbine rifles , all for various games and in 9mm.
Johns "trainer" told him its a good idea to stock at least 4000 rounds.

Dan is also an avid shooter and owns 10 firearms, 8 handguns and 2 carbine rifles, all for various games and in multiple calibers.
Dan learned in boot camp, and in 2008,and in 2012, and 2016 that you can never have enough ammo, and stocks several thousand rounds of each caliber.

John and Dan attend and shoot the same number of games each season, although Dan is a horrible shot and uses slightly more ammo.

One day John finds himself low on 9mm, and its becoming difficult to find!. What ever will John do?
"Looks like I'm back to offering happy endings for ammo", John sighs to himself while he applies lipstick.

Dan laughs in 9mm, .40., .45, .38 and .22, but says "no thank you, good sir" to Broc's 45/70 ammo.

Last edited:
John is an avid shooter and owns 10 firearms. 8 handguns and 2 carbine rifles , all for various games and in 9mm.
Johns "trainer" told him its a good idea to stock at least 4000 rounds.

Dan is also an avid shooter and owns 10 firearms, 8 handguns and 2 carbine rifles, all for various games and in multiple calibers.
Dan learned in boot camp, and in 2008,and in 2012, and 2016 that you can never have enough ammo, and stocks several thousand rounds of each caliber.

John and Dan attend and shoot the same number of games each season, although Dan is a horrible shot and uses slightly more ammo.

One day John finds himself low on 9mm, and its becoming difficult to find!. What ever will John do?
"Looks like I'm back to offering happy endings for ammo", John sighs to himself.

Dan laughs in 9mm, .40., .45, .38 and .22, but says "no thank you, good sir" to Broc's 45/70 ammo.

I've got cases of ammo in calibers I don't even have guns for. [smile]

There is some strategic benefit to standardizing to one or a couple of calibers.

I haven’t shot any 9 since the ammo shortage all began... I should’ve been stockpiling long before. I just like shooting a lot haha

I walked into Glenn's reloading today. First thing he says before I can say anything "we don't have any 9mm or .45".

I heard some manufacturers are holding on ramping production. Was some YouTube video at 4 am so who knows...but I am glad I stocked up on a lot of rounds when I had the chance.

Back
Top Bottom