Thoughts on a scope for a kid

My son, 6, has a Cricket .22 and loves shooting it. Problem is that the hole in the rear sight is too small for him to look through and pick up the front sight. He is getting better, but also getting discouraged.

I bought the Cricket scope for his birthday coming up. I put it on and took it to the range. It is a mil dot scope, and zeroed at one distance, is different at another. This seems like it won't be easy to teach him, and I dont want to re zero every time we change distances.

So, any recemendations on a smaller sized, simple scope that will work well with his set up?

keep him on the irons, see if cricket has a larker peep ? Better yet get him over to Hanson rod and gun tonight for jr shooting. 2 bucks guns and ammo included. bring the cricket and let rick help you out. the longer you keep him off scopes the better shot he will be.

Junior Rifle Program Information

Participate in one of the safest and most exciting sports available: competitive target shooting. It teaches kids a valuable life lesson. They quickly learn that they do better if they are focused, patient and self disciplined. Shooting is also one of a few sports where boys and girls compete as equals on the same team.

Learn gun safety, cleaning, and maintenance.

Participate in local, state, and national matches.

Open to Boy and Girls ages 10 to 20 years old. We provide safety training to over 100 young shooters each year, and have 20 regular participants.

Meet every Wednesday night from 6-8:30 PM at Hanson Rod and Gun Club.

The first night’s participation is free, with a $2 per night fee charged after that. All fees are used to support the program.

We provide ALL necessary equipment for participation – including target rifles & ammunition.

For program information contact Rick Zadrozny at 781-293-6185.

My sons only 6, is this too young for the program? They only have the one size peep, thou I've been tempted to drill the hole larger. I really don't want him to loose interest in shooting because he's not too accurate with the peep. I figure a scope will get him and I out to the range more, and start bringing the fun back for him.

Boxer - I'm with Rick here. My wife and I bought my son (he's now 8) his first Cricket last year. I was amazed at how small the peep was. I called KSA and asked about a larger one but was told that was all they had. I ended up mounting a Sightmark Mini on the rifle. Is it bad that the sight is almost more expensive than the rifle? :D It's made all the difference. Now he and his sister, who's 6, can consistantly hit the target. Using a red-dot means that they only have one plain of focus to deal with so they can concentrate on the other fundamentals; breathing, trigger squeeze, etc. I used a piece of Weaver rail that I picked up at Dick's to mount the sight just forward of the chamber. I ordered the rail that KSA sells but its a 3/8" rimfire rail and I couldn't find a red-dot that would mount on it. I can't post pictures (I'm at work and can't access photobucket) but if you pm me an email address I can email you a couple of pictures.

m1911 - I'd love to bring my son and daughter to that class (or the one at our club) but what you posted says "Open to Boys and Girls aged 10 to 20" so I think that boxer and I have to wait a couple of years. But I would definitely recommend a class like that when they are older.

Aloha

Back
Top Bottom