• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

thoughts on an SP101

My fiancee (greatest woman ever) asked me for a revolver of her very own yesterday. she says "i dont want a 38/357, its just too normal...and i dont like shooting 357 and the 38's seem like they are missing something"

My suggestion was a Ruger SP101 in .327 federal magnum, what do you think? im getting into reloading so i dont really care about cartridge availability, and the ballistics are impressive on it! what are your thoughts?

Dom

I love my 2" sp101, built like a damn tank. That being said, 357 or bust. You'll regret the 327.

I thought this was for the CZ75 SP01 - you find one of those, catch it on sight.

Now what is this .327FM phaggotry of which you speak? awkward, obsolete caliber. lets say you reload it. Ok, great. what else you going to use those projectiles for? Got anything else in .32? no, no you dont. And for good reason.

sure the performance can be duplicated, but not the recoil (which is lower than 357)

It is completely up to your fiancee what she wants to shoot. Not people you don't even know on the internet.
I can understand that recoil could be an issue for some shooters. So you do have to factor that into the decision.

Just giving you my opinion of the .327, that's all.

If you are gonna reload that's fine, but i'm sure finding brass that is even close to reasonable in price is gonna be an issue as well.
Not like you are gonna find any once fired .327 around.

Hell, you'd be hard pressed to find a shop that even has (or had these days) .327.

true story guys! definitely not knocking peoples opinions, thats why i started the thread! she is recoil sensitive, not exactly super sensitive but does not like to shoot 357's even out of my full size gun.

If anyone has a better recommendation for a good gun for her, please let me know.

Last week Rileys had a used GP100 .327 for $550 and today they had well used Dan Wesson .32 H&R mag for $595. I swear if they didn't just get CCI primers and Blazer brass ammo in stock I would have had them order me one...

super hot 38's or atleast +p rounds seem to be the majority of answers. perhaps the same gun in 357, she has to hold it and make sure it feels good in her hands. For all i know she could hate it! also considering j-frames. I know its off topic, but can j frames be re barreled?

Dom

Can't say much for the .327 Mag. There certain have been other "hot" .32's: .32 H&R Magnum, 32-20 Winchester (popular in both Colt SAA and Winchester lever guns).

I have an SP101 in .357 and it feels very much like a Colt Detective Special in the hand, although a bit heavier and holding only five rounds. I would not consider it a pocket pistol, although I know of at least one CCW expert who has carried not one but two in pocket holsters.

I don't think you could go wrong with one, a robust and reliable revolver. If that is what she wants, then get her what she wants.

Last edited:
My wife has a small (2 and 3/4" ?) SP101. It handles .357s like a champ. It is a little boomer. We used to go out to the range and have "revolver day". I would bring out my Security Six. She liked to alternate .38 and .357 in the chambers - that is fun! That said, you can get some quality .38 special +P ammo that would fill the gap.

i dont want a 38/357, its just too normal...and i dont like shooting 357 and the 38's seem like they are missing something

...and you're getting into reloading.

Isn't there an S&W 10mm revolver in the classifieds right now:? Sounds perfect!!!
[laugh]

Or, there have been 9mm revolvers made. Probably no more difficult to find than a 10mm revolver.

haha im sure she would be a little skittish with the 10mm Kev [laugh] of course i can load powder puff 357s etc but im going off of what she asked for. she really needs to shoot some different guns to see how they work for her.

My spouse loves her SP101 .357 (spurless) w/2.25" barrel, but .38spl goes through it most often. She does quite well with it, and it's a DAO. Recoil hasn't been an issue.

Back
Top Bottom