Thoughts on used radio shack ham radio?

Hard to say. That looks like it's done some hard living.

I can't tell if any of the wires are cut in the mic cable, but it looks like they might be. If it works, it works.

I’d make sure it had tone encode/decode capability, standard nowadays but used to be an add-on board with older radios. Something this old would be a hard no for me at any price. if $$$ is the deciding factor, save up and buy something new, or at least newer. qrz.com has a great for sale section.

Hard to say. That looks like it's done some hard living.
I can't tell if any of the wires are cut in the mic cable, but it looks like they might be. If it works, it works.
I would certainly haggle on the price. If it was over a 30 min drive I wouldn’t have any interest if it was over 20$
Agree on all of this. It is probably right around 30 minutes. I was thinking I'd offer $25 if it is working properly, and see what he says. Sent an email to see if it "works", or "works well".

Is this the more modern equivalent?
What kind of antenna to use?
Not really sure what I'm doing yet, but looking around at some simple things for simple people (me).
Would buy.

I looked at these for a long time and ultimately opted for the FTM-6000R which has a similarly simple interface but gave me a detachable faceplate and 70cm. I couldn't care less about 70cm, but I liked being able to mount the faceplate where I can see it and the rest of the unit is out of the way. The FT-2980 would be my go to home rig for 2m FM.

Is this for home or the vehicle?

For 2m, height is might. The higher you can get an antenna, the better. But I have run a roll up jpole hanging in a doorway approximately 6" off the floor and it works fine. I'm sure range suffers a lot, but I can hit the local repeater and my only two friends on simplex.

I got the 16' feed line version and it was a good choice. Single band Slim Jim Antenna with 10' or 16' Cable.

They claim this antenna can live outdoors, and it probably can. But it's gonna need something to sturdy it up (some folks use a 6' driveway marker to hold it rigid with good results).

I read the manual online, that's prob not terrible for 2m operation. It's pretty cool for what it is actually, has some Radio Shack nostalgia.

It does have the necessary features for FM repeaters, which are prob where you'll find the most activity regionally.

Is this for home or the vehicle?

For 2m, height is might. The higher you can get an antenna, the better. But I have run a roll up jpole hanging in a doorway approximately 6" off the floor and it works fine. I'm sure range suffers a lot, but I can hit the local repeater and my only two friends on simplex.

I got the 16' feed line version and it was a good choice. Single band Slim Jim Antenna with 10' or 16' Cable.

They claim this antenna can live outdoors, and it probably can. But it's gonna need something to sturdy it up (some folks use a 6' driveway marker to hold it rigid with good results).
I'll give a second vote for a N9TAX J pole. I've got two, had one up 30' feet or so outdoors on a sketchy pvc post. I was getting some good distance with my Kenwood. It looked brand new after 15 months when I took it down.

Not worth $40.00. That's a $10.00 throwaway. Or a give it to a new ham. I think you can still purchase a new 2meter for just over $100.00 and you will be much better served. This is only my opinion.

John N1HM

Not worth $40.00. That's a $10.00 throwaway.
OK, thanks for your opinion.

Or a give it to a new ham.
That would be me.

I think you can still purchase a new 2meter for just over $100.00 and you will be much better served. This is only my opinion.

John N1HM
Thanks again. Did you mean like the one in post #6 up above ^^?

FTDM 3100 Yeasu 2 meter transceiver. I think this radio is around $150.00 new with warranty. Check out DX Engineering on line. This would be the way to go as a new ham. New equipment that runs properly. Less stress more enjoyment right from the start. You will also need a power supply and an antenna and cable.
If you have questions contact me.
John N1HM

DX Engineering, Gigaparts, Ham Radio Outlet are my go to stores. If an item is in stock in the NH HRO, it will often arrive the next day even all the way out here in the boondocks. I also found them to be a hair cheaper.

Either the 2980 you asked about or the 3100 John suggested are GTG. If you can, check them out at a store and buy the one that gives you the fizz.

It's obvious this isn't a passing fancy. Just take the damn test and buy the damn radio :D

Price: $Free.99.

I like HRO and Gigaparts, but I love R & L Electronics in Ohio (randl.com). It's smaller, friendlier and tends to be more aggressive in their pricing.

So you're saying I need a new radio to test out the sales service at R&L...
I highly recommend just that!! I will also recommend a Kenwood TS-890S, which happens to be in stock at the moment.

I bought this exact radio from them in the fall when it was on sale for $3995. When they say free shipping on something, that is your out-the-door price! HRO had the radio for $200 more, also had free shipping, but wanted to charge me the sales tax if shipped to me.

BTW, this TS-890S is a phenomenal radio. So, what are you waiting for?? Go spend some money!! It's only Monopoly money at this point anyway.

I highly recommend just that!! I will also recommend a Kenwood TS-890S, which happens to be in stock at the moment.

I bought this exact radio from them in the fall when it was on sale for $3995. When they say free shipping on something, that is your out-the-door price! HRO had the radio for $200 more, also had free shipping, but wanted to charge me the sales tax if shipped to me.

BTW, this TS-890S is a phenomenal radio. So, what are you waiting for?? Go spend some money!! It's only Monopoly money at this point anyway.
I'd be afraid Kenwood black would clash with my Yaesu black rig. And if you saw my "shack" you'd know how important looks are to me. Or my house, really.

I'd be afraid Kenwood black would clash with my Yaesu black rig. And if you saw my "shack" you'd know how important looks are to me. Or my house, really.

Yaesu makes good stuff, too. I happen to have their FT-891 in my truck for mobile HF. For shack radios though, I have run Kenwood's exclusively for at least 25 years. This goes back to the era when Kenwood was the ONLY manufacturer of ham HF radios that would do FSK. The rest used AFSK. I prefer FSK for RTTY operations. I decided to spring for the TS-890 after a ham friend of mine, a recent SK and a professional, commercial radio servicer had glowing thoughts concerning the 890's receiver. After having it for 6 months now, I can readily see why he was so impressed with it. It's even relatively easy to separate out tightly spaced CW signals in a pileup. I also get glowing audio reports with this radio paired with a Heil Pro 7 headset.

I would caution anybody considering this radio that it is big and robust, and I do mean BIG. It easily dwarfs my TS-590S sitting right beside it. It may be a problem for someone with limited space and it sure isn't a POTA field radio. [rofl]

Yaesu makes good stuff, too. I happen to have their FT-891 in my truck for mobile HF. For shack radios though, I have run Kenwood's exclusively for at least 25 years. This goes back to the era when Kenwood was the ONLY manufacturer of ham HF radios that would do FSK. The rest used AFSK. I prefer FSK for RTTY operations. I decided to spring for the TS-890 after a ham friend of mine, a recent SK and a professional, commercial radio servicer had glowing thoughts concerning the 890's receiver. After having it for 6 months now, I can readily see why he was so impressed with it. It's even relatively easy to separate out tightly spaced CW signals in a pileup. I also get glowing audio reports with this radio paired with a Heil Pro 7 headset.

I would caution anybody considering this radio that it is big and robust, and I do mean BIG. It easily dwarfs my TS-590S sitting right beside it. It may be a problem for someone with limited space and it sure isn't a POTA field radio. [rofl]
I have a TS-520S, three TS-850s/AT's (Yep, I love the TS-850; great receiver) and a TS-590SG...I also have a Kenwood TM-741 and TM-742 and a Kenwood TL-922A. I hate Kenwood [rofl]

That being said, I also have an older Yaesu VX-7R handheld and an Icom IC-706 (original) and an Icom IC-910H. I prefer Kenwood stuff but no other reason than I'm used to the way they work I guess. I also own a couple of older dual band Alinco mobiles.

Over the years, I've owned a crapload of radios of all brands. I worked fulltime at HRO in Salem, NH for almost 9 years back in the 90s so much to my wife's chagrin, I spent a lot of money there when I was working at the store. The only thing I own now that I bought while I worked there is my IC-706 and my VX-7R.

Last edited:
I have a TS-520S, three TS-850s/AT's (Yep, I love the TS-850; great receiver) and a TS-590SG...I also have a Kenwood TM-741 and TM-742 and a Kenwood TL-922A. I hate Kenwood [rofl]

That being said, I also have an older Yaesu VX-7R handheld and an Icom IC-706 (original) and an Icom IC-910H. I prefer Kenwood stuff but no other reason than I'm used to the way they work I guess. I also own a couple of older dual band Alinco mobiles.

Over the years, I've owned a crapload of radios of all brands. I worked fulltime at HRO in Salem, NH for almost 9 years back in the 90s so much to my wife's chagrin, I spent a lot of money there when I was working at the store. The only thing I own now that I bought while I worked there is my IC-706 and my VX-7R.

I had a TS-870S. As you know, it was the 850 with the addition of IF level DSP. Phenomenal receiver!! I can plainly state that the 890 is truly a worthy follow up to that entire 850/870 line of radios.

I had a TS-870S. As you know, it was the 850 with the addition of IF level DSP. Phenomenal receiver!! I can plainly state that the 890 is truly a worthy follow up to that entire 850/870 line of radios.
Oh, I forgot to mention I also have the DSP-100, the companion DSP unit to the 850. They’re actually pretty rare. I’ve dabbled a bit in eSSB but never got serious about it. Perhaps I will dig out the DSP-100 and hook it up again.

For 2m, height is might. The higher you can get an antenna, the better.
Will be working on something. See other post about almost direct line of sight to Paxton repeater. See also the map picture I posted showing a big donut hole between Worcester and Quabbin on East to West, and I-90 to Route 2 North to South. There is a ridge North to South blocking central MA from Western MA. It would be cool if a couple of the clubs could chip in and convince someone to put a repeater on top of that ridge. The Quabbin observation tower would be a cool site, or maybe where WMUA radio tower is, or somewhere near Ware/Hardwick. That would open up a lot of East to West connections I would think.

Back
Top Bottom