Threaded barrels and silencers...

I was reading closely the statutes on “Assault weapons”.

As far as I can tell, my Beretta 92fs, my Sig P365, and My Taurus G2C. All of which have threaded barrels are banned under the AWB.

The way I read it, and correct me if I am wrong. Any Semi Auto Centerfire handgun with a threaded barrel is otherwise an Assault weapon. So it makes having a 9mm handgun silencer pointless, even though the silencer is legal. (I have a Dead Air Odessa-9) I guess that explains why there are only About 40,000 registered silencers in CT.

Crazy how an otherwise normal legal handgun all of a sudden becomes an assault weapon with a threaded barrel! Surprised rifles aren’t the same way!

You read it correctly. This is why I actually registered a number of my Glocks and 1911s in 2013, because I use them as suppressor hosts.

There are all kinds of restrictions on transport of AWs. So I sent an email to the DESPP asserting that when the threaded bbl was removed they were no longer AWs and could therefore be carried loaded, like any other handgun, regardless of the fact that I had registered them.

I got back an email agreeing with this.

Now that I look back, I realize that I should have registered the BARREL. The statute says that anything used to convert a non AW into an AW is an AW. So a threaded bbl is an AW technically. Whats funny is that in 2013 I already pushed that point. My perspective was that we as citizens had to burry them in paper. So I registered at least a dozen AR15 A2 grips that I had lying around. Since a pistol grip is a feature that can make a rifle into an AW, I reasoned that a grip is an AW. They allowed me to register the grips. Ha. One of my finer hours.

One last thing. Since this law went into effect and considering that silencers ARE legal in CT, a number of solutions have evolved.

Thesemostly involve permanently affixing some kind of quick release to the threads and permanently attaching per ATF guidelines. (welding, blind pinning, silver soldering)
The problem is that most quick detach fittings are larger in diameter than the outer diameter of the barrel and prevent the barrel from being removed from the slide.

The Freedom Shoppe provided a number of better work arounds.

One last thing. Since this law went into effect and considering that silencers ARE legal in CT, a number of solutions have evolved.

Thesemostly involve permanently affixing some kind of quick release to the threads and permanently attaching per ATF guidelines. (welding, blind pinning, silver soldering)
The problem is that most quick detach fittings are larger in diameter than the outer diameter of the barrel and prevent the barrel from being removed from the slide.

The Freedom Shoppe provided a number of better work arounds.

and it’s to late to register anything now correct? Handgun or barrel. Although only one threaded barrel I have is serialized. The other two have no serial number.

It is too late. Cutoff was 12/31/13 or 1/1/14.

The first time I tried to register a pistol grip, they told me it needed a SN. I told them that they needed to adjust their process to accommodate that because they were going to get legitimate, legal, actual firearms with no SN that had been manufactured from 80% kits and they needed to be able to work with this. Eventually they accepted the pistol grips. ;-)

It is too late. Cutoff was 12/31/13 or 1/1/14.

The first time I tried to register a pistol grip, they told me it needed a SN. I told them that they needed to adjust their process to accommodate that because they were going to get legitimate, legal, actual firearms with no SN that had been manufactured from 80% kits and they needed to be able to work with this. Eventually they accepted the pistol grips. ;-)

Lol I would just engraved each with a number, #101, #102, etc...

Nah. Remember the whole purpose was to screw with them.

People were saying they were going to refuse to register guns they bought from dealers. Which was dumb because the state already had the DPS-3 form that every CT dealer must submit to the state for every firearm purchase. It isn't like a NICS check, it includes the gun type, caliber, barrel length, and serial number. So the state already knew that you have these AWs.

So defiance was pointless. So go the opposite way. Burry them in in paper. 100% legal and very satisfying.

Hopefully Miller V becerra will continue to win in the 9th circuit but make it to the SCOTUS. Hopefully it will and hopefully with Barret on the bench, they will rule AWB's unconsitutional and then it make CT and many other eastern states having to backtrack.

However, any final decesion from SCOTUS is at a minimum of 3-4 years from now. The case would still have to be hears by a 3 judge panel, then en banc then finally scotus. Even if the En Banc hearing was denied, it would only shave a year off the time.

Duncan v Becerra is closer to an outcome. If En Banc is denied, Becerra will appeal to SCOTUS. Which puts this case 2 years out from decesion. If En Banc is granted add another year. There is a very good chance duncan v becerra will be heard by SCOTUS becausenof split court decesion. Same with Millier V becerra, however a positive outcome for Duncan could have some positive effect on Miller too.

All wr can do is hope! 92FS considered as an AW because of a threaded barrel is ludicris!

It is ludicris.

A couple of years ago I decided to sell a G19 that I had registered as an AW so it could be used as a suppressor host. ON THE WAY HOME from doing the deal with the guy I remembered that that gun was a grandfathered AW in CT. I called the guy, drove back gave him his money back, and we re-transferred the gun back to me. Ha

I've now marked the underside of the handguns I've registered, where the serial number is on a glock with a white dot of paint to remind me what it is.

CT law is {frustrating/stupid/pointless/anti-gun}.

Glock 17's, 34's and 31's all use the same frame. The upper, (slide), is different, and the 31 uses different mags because it's a 357sig as opposed to 9mm for 17/34.
I have "extra" slides and barrels that I sometimes swap around depending upon what I'm doing.
One of those extras is a threaded barrel that I have a compensator for.
It's illegal in CT.

CT law is {frustrating/stupid/pointless/anti-gun}.

Glock 17's, 34's and 31's all use the same frame. The upper, (slide), is different, and the 31 uses different mags because it's a 357sig as opposed to 9mm for 17/34.
I have "extra" slides and barrels that I sometimes swap around depending upon what I'm doing.
One of those extras is a threaded barrel that I have a compensator for.
It's illegal in CT.

Yeah and they taunt us too! Saying yep silencers are legal! You just cant own anything to put them on! LOL

There are ways around the threaded barrel ban. Most companies make a 9mm can that works with a 3 lug adaptor for example.
Its not difficult to "permanently" affix a 3 lug attachment to the end of the barrel using one of the ATF approved methods.

Back
Top Bottom