• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ticks, ticks, ticks...

FWIW, my english setter had a VERY bad reaction to Soresto first time trying it. I know it works for most, didn't work for him at all.

Andrew 1220, I would not double up on Nexgard and Seresto. Just use one or the other, or at least talk to you vet about it before doubling up.
Yeah I think we're just going to go with the Soresto for now. She's only 25 pounds and it might be overkill. We gave her Bravecto a few years ago and she had constant vomiting within hours of giving her that pill. So we're hesitant to give her another pill for ticks.

FWIW, my english setter had a VERY bad reaction to Soresto first time trying it. I know it works for most, didn't work for him at all.

White dogs (assuming your English is mainly white like one of my Brits) have more sensitive skin than others. We had used to use Vectra, which was a topical and worked awesome but my girl developed a reaction to it over time so we switched to the Nexgard pill and no problems since. I assume the Soresto works in the same manner so have been leerily.

I sprayed the yard area our dog uses which is about 7000 sq ft in april with permethrin, first time for me. NO ticks. I cut a small patch of grass out front with the push mower yesterday <10 min, 3 ticks. I am trying to figure how to spray our whole yard next year, about 80000 sq ft.

I sprayed the yard area our dog uses which is about 7000 sq ft in april with permethrin, first time for me. NO ticks. I cut a small patch of grass out front with the push mower yesterday <10 min, 3 ticks. I am trying to figure how to spray our whole yard next year, about 80000 sq ft.

Tick tubes might help. You can buy them or make them out of toilet tubes stuffed with permethrin treated cotton batting.

Mice, and other rodents will use the cotton in their nests which will kill the ticks that are feeding on the rodents.

Bob

I went fishing in north west RI on saturday from shore. I walked about 1/3 the way around the pond. I took 19 ticks off me throughout the day.

Last year I walked some power lines to get to river I wanted to fish. When I got there I went to put my pole and gear down and there were hundreds of ticks on my legs. I flipped my shit and took off all my clothes and ran into the water. I know the water wasn't going to remove the ticks, but they floated away as I scraped them off me. I was just raking my legs to get them off before they started attaching themselves.
After that I called my wife to come get me so she could check the back of me. I took a new route home through Poison Ivy. I figured Poison Ivy goes away, Lyme Disease does not.

I never did get to fish that area and I have no plans to ever go back.

Great, a new tick species to the area is on the rise on the Eastern seaboard. Per, Slashdot:

"A vicious species of tick originating from Eastern Asia has invaded the U.S. and is rapidly sweeping the Eastern Seaboard, state and federal officials warn. The tick, the Asian longhorned tick (or Haemaphysalis longicornis), has the potential to transmit an assortment of nasty diseases to humans, including an emerging virus that kills up to 30 percent of victims. So far, the tick hasn't been found carrying any diseases in the U.S. It currently poses the largest threat to livestock, pets, and wild animals; the ticks can attack en masse and drain young animals of blood so quickly that they die -- an execution method called exsanguination. "

US Invaded By Savage Tick That Sucks Animals Dry, Spawns Without Mating - Slashdot

More info:

https://www.acq.osd.mil/eie/afpmb/docs/bulletins/Longhorned_Tick_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Great, a new tick species to the area is on the rise on the Eastern seaboard. Per, Slashdot:

"A vicious species of tick originating from Eastern Asia has invaded the U.S. and is rapidly sweeping the Eastern Seaboard, state and federal officials warn. The tick, the Asian longhorned tick (or Haemaphysalis longicornis), has the potential to transmit an assortment of nasty diseases to humans, including an emerging virus that kills up to 30 percent of victims. So far, the tick hasn't been found carrying any diseases in the U.S. It currently poses the largest threat to livestock, pets, and wild animals; the ticks can attack en masse and drain young animals of blood so quickly that they die -- an execution method called exsanguination. "

US Invaded By Savage Tick That Sucks Animals Dry, Spawns Without Mating - Slashdot

More info:

https://www.acq.osd.mil/eie/afpmb/docs/bulletins/Longhorned_Tick_Fact_Sheet.pdf

One of my favorite MTG cards...
https://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/scars-of-mirrodin/exsanguinate

Honestly, I don't think they're that bad this year. I spent all day Sun out in the woods checking trail cams. Didn't pick up a single one that I noticed. Of course, I have enough permethrin on my clothes to kill evey insect in a 10-foot radius, plus the thermacell going.

Get a bag of granular with the active ingredient bifentherin and spread it around the perimeter of the property per the label. Ticks will be gone!

When I see I've picked one up I watch and time how long before it dies. The record was 8 minutes. The stuff turns you into a walking weapon of tick mass destruction. At this point with such an effective tool available one should always make use of it. The alternative is just too damn bad to even consider not using it. At the rate of which I pick them up in the woods - I must have picked up 40 + this past hunting season. Every single one of them died... I'm supremely confident of that. I have never pulled a tick off of myself.
where can I buy it ?

Cabelas and Bass Pro carry the Sawyer brand. Walmart carries the Reprel brand that uses a different, but equally effective, active ingredient.

I mix mine from concentrate. It’s much cheaper that way.

Bob

I've posted on tic threads a few times but I'll always jump in and say it again:

Permethrim....permethrim permethrin permethrin

Follow the instructions to treat your hunting or outdoor clothing and you'll be glad you did.

Years ago I tried it....went to a pheasant field with a few buddies and they came out covered in tics.....I had none on me. It works. I've been using it ever since.

Did I say permethrin?!?!

I got bit by a tick 4 years ago, and had a really bad auto immune disease hit me...HARD.

Has caused all kinds of issues with organs, skin, and joints.

Better be careful out there. The results can be life threatening.

I've posted on tic threads a few times but I'll always jump in and say it again:

Permethrim....permethrim permethrin permethrin

Follow the instructions to treat your hunting or outdoor clothing and you'll be glad you did.

Years ago I tried it....went to a pheasant field with a few buddies and they came out covered in tics.....I had none on me. It works. I've been using it ever since.

Did I say permethrin?!?!

Thanks.
I'm going to pick some of this up. I can't go outside without getting at least one tick on me, and usually when I go fishing it's 3-10 of them. I stop and look every time I move to a different spot and I'm getting tired of it.

For the permethrin in the aerosol can, is that just as effective?

Yes it works fine. It just costs more.

Keep in mind you treat the clothing and let it dry. Once it is bound to the cloth it will last for up to 6 weeks and through multiple washings.

It is harmful to cats and fish in liquid form.

I always have a set of treated clothing around for fishing, scouting, etc.

Bob

Yes it works fine. It just costs more.

Keep in mind you treat the clothing and let it dry. Once it is bound to the cloth it will last for up to 6 weeks and through multiple washings.

It is harmful to cats and fish in liquid form.

I always have a set of treated clothing around for fishing, scouting, etc.

Bob

Been using it for 3 yrs. now and not 1 tick. (knocking on wood)

I brought a spray bottle of Permethrin to the Mass States IDPA match this summer so the people working at the stage down at our black powder range could spray down their pants as that area is notorious for ticks. Someone walked off with the bottle, the bastards, lol. I grabbed a new bottle from Amazon, It's good stuff

Back
Top Bottom