• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ticks, ticks, ticks...

I use a lot of permethrin. I reapply at half the stated instructions (3 weeks or washes). Is it excessive, probably. Have I even seen a tick on me in years.... Nope.
The JT Eaton stuff is pretty cheap on Amazon. Sold but the gallon. The sprayer is awesome too. Sawyer's sprayer kind of sucks. Bit their product works just as well.

My son had a tick last Saturday, no target, but he had a 102 temp last night. Doc is treating him for an ear infection now. They said you need to wait a week and a half to test of Lyme, however, when I had my Lyme, they treated me for Lyme immediately, before the test results even came back, but I had the target and had pneumonia at the same time, so the same antibiotic would cover both!

Went out back for some bow practice earlier today, and noticed I picked up a hitchhiker while I was emptying an Octoberfest just now. This is bullshit!

I've always bought the Sawyers stuff until this year. Always had good luck. I’ve watched ticks on my pants just start acting weird and fall right off within minutes.

In the spring I bought a bottle of 10% permethrin from tractor supply for spring turkey. Figured I’d mix up my own to save some cash.

I did 1oz of Permethrin to 20oz of water to get it down to .5%, same as Sawyers.

Didn't find any ticks on me in the spring but I wasn’t in a very high tick population area.

10 days ago I mixed up another batch... treated my socks, shoes, pants, shirt and vest. Like normal

Late last week after a hunt, I saw a tick on my dogs head on the drive home. I tried to get it off but missed it and it fell. Once I got home I found the tick on my shirt. Kinda wondered why and how long it had been there.

The other day while hunting I found one on my pant leg when we stopped to take a break. I watched it for 8 minutes and it seems generally unaffected. After that I flicked it off and continued on... later on I found another..Flicked him off right away. All three ticks got me thinking.
Permtherin has been applied 10 days ago and pants have only been washed once.

Got curious and did some reading. found this article

Permethrin-Treated Clothing May Disable Ticks, Study Finds

Now, a new study by CDC researchers has found that just a minute or two of contact with permethrin-treated clothing caused ticks to become incapacitated or fall off fabric

That tick shouldn’t have lasted 8 minutes on my pants.

another source states that the concentrate permethrin isn’t as effective on clothing cause it don’t have the chemicals that help the Sawyers bond to the clothes. wonder how true it is.

either way I’m done with the concentrate stuff for now.. just ordered some Sawyers from Amazon.
we’ve got a lot of ticks on our area and I’m not taking chances over a few bucks.

I've always bought the Sawyers stuff until this year. Always had good luck. I’ve watched ticks on my pants just start acting weird and fall right off within minutes.

In the spring I bought a bottle of 10% permethrin from tractor supply for spring turkey. Figured I’d mix up my own to save some cash.

I did 1oz of Permethrin to 20oz of water to get it down to .5%, same as Sawyers.

Didn't find any ticks on me in the spring but I wasn’t in a very high tick population area.

10 days ago I mixed up another batch... treated my socks, shoes, pants, shirt and vest. Like normal

Late last week after a hunt, I saw a tick on my dogs head on the drive home. I tried to get it off but missed it and it fell. Once I got home I found the tick on my shirt. Kinda wondered why and how long it had been there.

The other day while hunting I found one on my pant leg when we stopped to take a break. I watched it for 8 minutes and it seems generally unaffected. After that I flicked it off and continued on... later on I found another..Flicked him off right away. All three ticks got me thinking.
Permtherin has been applied 10 days ago and pants have only been washed once.

Got curious and did some reading. found this article

Permethrin-Treated Clothing May Disable Ticks, Study Finds

Now, a new study by CDC researchers has found that just a minute or two of contact with permethrin-treated clothing caused ticks to become incapacitated or fall off fabric

That tick shouldn’t have lasted 8 minutes on my pants.

another source states that the concentrate permethrin isn’t as effective on clothing cause it don’t have the chemicals that help the Sawyers bond to the clothes. wonder how true it is.

either way I’m done with the concentrate stuff for now.. just ordered some Sawyers from Amazon.
we’ve got a lot of ticks on our area and I’m not taking chances over a few bucks.

You just hit the nail on the head with that statement.

Check out this stuff:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TULAH6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JT Eaton 1 Gal. Ready to Use Spray-209-W1G - The Home Depot

works just as well and is cheaper.

Did some clearing of shooting lanes today. And picked up another tick. The size of a pin head. I've got one aerosol can of Sawyer permethrin on hand. I'll have to look at that HD stuff, and hook it to a shower head.

I’ve been wearing Sawyer soaked gear for the past 3 months in deep woods, tall grasses, swamps, etc. Today was the one day I did not wear any treated gear and lo I felt a bite under my armpit. Right away a deer tick was embedding itself in my skin.
081FBB48-AD6D-4001-A389-D75DA2B6116E.jpeg 1891841B-2C9E-4A73-AD8C-548C987F6C60.jpeg

I’ve been wearing Sawyer soaked gear for the past 3 months in deep woods, tall grasses, swamps, etc. Today was the one day I did not wear any treated gear and lo I felt a bite under my armpit. Right away a deer tick was embedding itself in my skin.

When I find one I am skieving the rest of the day and I scratch relentlessly.

The one I really worry about is the one in the truck that gets my wife.

Bob

Bob
I was always digging them outta the cat and hoping they never decided to hitch onto my wife or girls. Glad this one stuck to me. I’m not concerned because of the odds but I am a little alert.

I make my own "tick tubes" every year and put them all around my property. i put 2x the recommended amount. The cost is almost nothing after you buy the concentrated Permethrin. you then just save all your toilet paper tubes all year and buy some cotton balls. Google it and you will find how to make them.
Deer ticks need a intermediary host (field mice). The mice take the permethrin soaked cotton balls to build nests and it kills all the ticks.

I have been doing this for a few years and it has knocked all the ticks off my property.

this will not help hunters but for you yard it works great.

Note do not spray Permethrin in your yard. it kills everything including bees. Tick tubes are a way to target just the ticks.

Look up DYI Tick tubes. it will give you all the info on line. start saving your toilet paper tubes now for the spring.

Last edited:
I haven't had any on me riding (and often do), but the old man has had plenty coming in from hunting, so they're still out there. (South Central CT)

Bob

Treat your truck seats with Permethrin during the hunting season. Spray them down every 3 weeks or so.... It may seem excessive, but I do it.

This year was the first time my dad got a tick while deer hunting in west central maine (Kingfield area). He's been hunting up here for 40 years. I actually had one crawling on my leg while sitting down up there while deer hunting a couple weeks back.

Treat your truck seats with Permethrin during the hunting season. Spray them down every 3 weeks or so.... It may seem excessive, but I do it.

I’ve held off doing that as my wife is asthmatic and is very sensitive to chemicals and things in general. I used to use the fresh earth wafers in a bin with my hunting clothing and the transfer from my clothing to the seat in the truck was enough to trigger an asthma attack if she went in the truck for three months after the season, and that was after leaving the windows down for days to air it out.

Bob

Finally, they are starting human trials of a Lyme disease vaccine in mid 2020

also

The shot is known as "pre-exposure prophylaxis," not a vaccine, because it delivers anti-Lyme antibodies directly to the patient rather than triggering the patient's own immune system to make the antibodies as vaccines do.

Treat all my Turkey gear this am with this stuff. Picked the worst day possible. Was windy as hell out, and boy does that shit burn the lungs

Also got these for the wife and I to try out.

Last edited:
Treat all my Turkey gear this am with this stuff. Picked the worst day possible. Was windy as hell out, and boy does that shit burn the lungs

Yes you definitely want a clam day to do it or an open garage so the fumes don’t built up.

I tuck my pants into my boots so they can’t get in there.

Turkey hunting can be dangerous as other hunters will stalk up on you once in awhile. When you set up try to protect your back by setting up with a big tree or rock at your back.

Good luck.

Bob

$53.00 for a pair ?

Back
Top Bottom