• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ticks, ticks, ticks...

The Tick Apocalypse they're saying...

I wish there was something we could do to nuke these little ****ers. I refuse to walk my dogs in parks/woods in my town - just don't want to risk it. I walk her around town on sidewalks etc. where the risk is lower.

The Tick Apocalypse they're saying...

I wish there was something we could do to nuke these little ****ers. I refuse to walk my dogs in parks/woods in my town - just don't want to risk it. I walk her around town on sidewalks etc. where the risk is lower.

We have good luck with Frontline, bought from a reliable source. Apparently they counterfeit the stuff.

We switched to the Sorresto collars after getting a flea infestation with Frontline. I also put a dab of essential oils under the collars when its peak season. This year is going to suck: Dark ticks & fleas on black dogs...

i pulled a massive one of my girls belly last week...luckily it hadn't started sucking...miserable lil *&*%$#@'s

Found several on my dog already (no bites, just crawling around) even walking him along the side walk if he steps into the brush to do his business they are getting on his muzzle and legs. He's on Nexgard. Poor guy just wants to run, hoping it stays in the 20's this Saturday so I can get him in the woods, the ticks seem to be much less active when its several degrees below freezing.

I've been out in the woods scouting hard since Jan. I have yet to pick up a tick on my cloths that I've noticed. I wear light colored cloths, all tucked in, etc. Take all the precautions. But I know the real reason is permethrin. I don't go afield without it. In my mind deet isn;t enough. I don't want to repel - I want to kill. And permethrin turns you into a walking weapon of tick mass destruction. They get on you - they die.

Do your part to protect yourself AND reduce the tick population. Wear permethrin.

I've been out in the woods scouting hard since Jan. I have yet to pick up a tick on my cloths that I've noticed. I wear light colored cloths, all tucked in, etc. Take all the precautions. But I know the real reason is permethrin. I don't go afield without it. In my mind deet isn;t enough. I don't want to repel - I want to kill. And permethrin turns you into a walking weapon of tick mass destruction. They get on you - they die.

Do your part to protect yourself AND reduce the tick population. Wear permethrin.
This.

Just got new duds for turkey season. Need to get them treated and do a re-up on my vest and boots.

Death to all ticks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

My dog is a tick magnet I think. Seriously, it is nuts how many ticks I pull off her. Luckily for me she is totally white.

Last week we put frontline on her. A couple days later we were having dinner and she looks up at us wanting something after we are done. Anyway, I see blood on her snout. It looked like she had a serious injury and I freaked out for a minute. Turns out we missed a tick before we put the frontline on. The thing must have been on her for a while and died. When it died all the blood it sucked came out on her. It looked like a lot of blood. So nasty.

Thinking of switching to Sorresto collars, but reviews I have read say Frontline is better. Do NES folks think that is true?

My dog is a tick magnet I think. Seriously, it is nuts how many ticks I pull off her. Luckily for me she is totally white.

Last week we put frontline on her. A couple days later we were having dinner and she looks up at us wanting something after we are done. Anyway, I see blood on her snout. It looked like she had a serious injury and I freaked out for a minute. Turns out we missed a tick before we put the frontline on. The thing must have been on her for a while and died. When it died all the blood it sucked came out on her. It looked like a lot of blood. So nasty.

Thinking of switching to Sorresto collars, but reviews I have read say Frontline is better. Do NES folks think that is true?

Have your lawn treated with a flea and tick prevention every year, I don't use anything on my dogs and I've only found one tick in the last 5 years.

But yes frontline is better, well according to people I've spoken to. If you're taking your dog to trails and parks and stuff frontline is the way to go, just my opinion.

When we had that warm spell last week, my wife and I were taking our two dogs out, picked about 45 ticks off of them (combined) each day. They are Brittanys and so the white and orange make them easy to see. We have them both on Nexgard. It will be another bad year.

"Green Mountain Tick Repellent" was recommended to me last year. I ordered it late in the season last year and only used it twice but will say, it did seem to work. I will continue to try it out this Spring. This would be in addition to the Nexgard, not a substitute.

I am wondering why i don't remember ticks being a thing when I was growing up in the early 80s. I was in the woods all the time and never remember checking for them. My wife doesn't remember them being a thing either growing up in northern Maine.

But yes frontline is better, well according to people I've spoken to. If you're taking your dog to trails and parks and stuff frontline is the way to go, just my opinion.

Thanks. We hike with the dog every weekend on various trails and parks. That is the problem. I think we will stick with Frontline.

We have had much, much better luck with the Sorresto collars the past two years than we did with Frontline or Advantix. Two mountain dogs with dense black fur who are in the woods a lot and not a single tick or flea with Sorresto. We had flea infestations multiple times with both Frontline and Advantix.

Obviously YMMV and get the right product for your dogs but neither Frontline nor Advantix repel fleas and ticks where Sorresto does. That is the biggest difference for me, apart from the fact that one collar lasts seven months.

ETA, older thread: https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...nd-Control-on-You-Your-Pets-and-Your-Property

Last edited:
We have had much, much better luck with the Sorresto collars the past two years than we did with Frontline or Advantix.

+1 I'll add another recommendation for Sorresto. I use them for my lab who is in the woods constantly either chasing upland game or being retarded. They work pretty damn good.

I hang clean and dry plastic jars with holes poked in the metal tops upside down with powdered DIATOMACEOUS EARTH in it. I hang it near my deer feeder so the deer will bump into it while feeding. It is used on farms for chickens, pigs, horses and other animals. It is very safe for them and worked great. We have found that when we kill a deer we rarely find tics crawling around on them. You can get it at Tractor Supply or other feed stores.

I was bitten by a tick in 2014, and developed a severe auto immune disease from it. I was really sick for almost a year until it got under control.
A friend of mine down the cape contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and was out of work for 2 years.
Really need to be careful out there.

It's definitely tick season now. And this year is supposed to be awful. Took the dog for a walk and it wasn't long till I spotted ticks crawling on me! Ended up pulling a few off both of us.

Have seen way too many ticks this year already. Do the Seresto collars need to be on them at all times, or just when they're doing stuff that might put them in contact with ticks?

We've pulled more than 10 off the dogs and five off humans. It's bad this year.

Dogs are on Nextguard. No way I'd let them run around now without it.

We've pulled more than 10 off the dogs and five off humans. It's bad this year.

Dogs are on Nextguard. No way I'd let them run around now without it.

Does the nexguard work well for your dogs? Would much rather use the chew than put the treatment on my dog. Was interested in them, always have my yard treated every year so typically I don't use anything on them but I plan on doing more hiking this year.

we had a work weekend at the gun club last weekend and one of the guys I was working with e-mailed and said he had a tick. It was on the back of his arm where he couldn't reach and his wife couldn't get it off....so he did some sort of acrobatic move and cut it off himself. I'm thinking of having the yard and shrubbery sprayed. I volunteered to work at the club again this weekend for the fishing derby so i will be bringing and wearing the big spray.

Does the nexguard work well for your dogs? Would much rather use the chew than put the treatment on my dog. Was interested in them, always have my yard treated every year so typically I don't use anything on them but I plan on doing more hiking this year.

My vet recommended nexguard over frontline. My dog had a reaction to the Lyme vaccine so I'm very concerned about him. I can't spray my yard as I keep bees. I spray my (and my family's) shoes with perm.

Where do you guys get your permethrin from? All I can find is the spray, not the concentrate. Cub scout camping season is approaching.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Chickens for the yard boys... keep the chemicals out of it. Neighbor lets the chickens run through the neighborhood. Every house has a dog. Not one tick since they have been doing their thing.

Yes. They are on the chews. Never had a tick attach.

Back
Top Bottom