Tips and tricks for cosmoline

a teapot full of boiling water - pour over the big parts

a bucket of boiling water - drop the little parts in - the cosmo will float up & resolidify when the water cools down -you can recycle - good as new... ;)

Depends what it's on.

For me, some CLP, a cheap toothbruth and a wipe down with a soft rag or towel seem to do the trick pretty well for AK mags. I kind of like keeping a very light coat of cosmo/clp/oil on them since they are steel to keep them looking new.

When I had first obtained my sks it was caked in cosmoline I pre soaked the smaller parts in simple green then used my turkey deep fryer to boil them in Water then a can of brake clean to finish it up

When I had first obtained my sks it was caked in cosmoline I pre soaked the smaller parts in simple green then used my turkey deep fryer to boil them in Water then a can of brake clean to finish it up
I hope you tossed that turkey fry pot!!!!

a teapot full of boiling water - pour over the big parts

a bucket of boiling water - drop the little parts in - the cosmo will float up & resolidify when the water cools down -you can recycle - good as new... ;)
This. I use a large bubber made container.....fill with boiling water disassemble and put all metal parts in. Like you said cosmo floats to the top. Clean and oil all the metal parts.....then I use a hair dryer on the wood to melt the cosmoline and wipe it off with a rag.

The guys using solvent and complaining just have not tried this method. Takes 30 minutes to get a rifle cosmoline free.

Put it in a black garbage bag and leave it on your dashboard for a day. Should draw it out of the wood for you. Put a blanket or towel down in case of seepage

Never really understood using water as an aqueous solution is not what one wants to remove a lipophilic substance. Mineral spirits would work great and require minimal ventilation for safety. disassembling and heating parts prior to wash helps a ton.

As others have said, very easy.

I buy one of those aluminum painting trays and a small bucket. Fill with mineral spirits. Put parts in and wipe with a rag.

Stock goes in black trashbag in a car or similar to heat up. Wipe, repeat as necessary. SKS caked in cosmo done in like 90 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom