• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tips for better storage of handguns in safe

aLuckyFourteen

NES Member
Hi all. I like to store my handguns in the pockets on the inside of my safe door. (See picture). Problem is, the smaller guns fall deep into the pocket and to get them out, I often have to push up from the bottom, which I don’t like to do when they’re loaded. I was thinking to maybe take an old sock and stuff it in the pocket so the gun sits higher. My concern is that the sock could act as a moisture wick in the warm months, encouraging rust since it’ll be touching the gun. I do run a heating bar inside the safe which has prevented rust over many years. Appreciate your advice.

Attachments

• 91746879-2B9D-4F31-8141-17C622F8FE07.jpeg
    91746879-2B9D-4F31-8141-17C622F8FE07.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

How about another safe just for handguns
Have some racks or even sliding draws.

Something like this?

I was thinking a over head cabinet for my pistols. ?

dollar store dish drying racks work if youre a skinflint, otherwise its not hard to make a nice 10-handgun stand from some wood

Hi all. I like to store my handguns in the pockets on the inside of my safe door. (See picture). Problem is, the smaller guns fall deep into the pocket and to get them out, I often have to push up from the bottom, which I don’t like to do when they’re loaded. I was thinking to maybe take an old sock and stuff it in the pocket so the gun sits higher. My concern is that the sock could act as a moisture wick in the warm months, encouraging rust since it’ll be touching the gun. I do run a heating bar inside the safe which has prevented rust over many years. Appreciate your advice.
These work out well for me if you have a shelf in your safe

Amazon product ASIN B07D83LG5SView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D83LG5S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Can you take the panel off the door? If so, it shouldn't be hard to quickly run a stitch line through the pocket to hold them higher up.

Sounds a bit silly maybe cut a plastic shampoo/detergent bottle in half and stuff the bottom half in the sleeve. Big enough bottom should go partially into sleeve and raise the butt of the gun enough to grab.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wasn't aware of the VCI paper and pads so I learned something. I should've mentioned that the safe is very full so no room on the shelves for pistol racks. And, getting them out of the pockets while loaded in the safe is just part of the issue. Even when unloaded, it's still difficult to get them out when they sink into the pockets. And truthfully, I just don't like how it looks. :) Lots of great suggestions here, much appreciated!

I have those "handgun hangers" and I like them a lot...

1644278549195-png.574086
Your rec room is on the small side.
How are you going to find room for a safe inside it?

Get bigger guns?

I mean, an .88 Magnum may be too big, but a Desert Eagle should have it covered.

@aLuckyFourteen

I actually have a few large industrial bar magnets in sleeves on the canvas hanging on my safe door...great for sticking mags, keys, knives, etc. In sleeves 'cuz I'd probably not be able to get the mags off if I needed to if they were stuck direct!

@aLuckyFourteen

I actually have a few large industrial bar magnets in sleeves on the canvas hanging on my safe door...great for sticking mags, keys, knives, etc. In sleeves 'cuz I'd probably not be able to get the mags off if I needed to if they were stuck direct!
Thanks. I did something similar and mounted a tool magnet bar on the inside wall of the safe and use it for mags and a bayonet.

have a sewing machine? take those out of the safe, trace the general outline of what gun will be put into it, and sew a new line up from bottom to top. tighten the grip on the respective pistols in the pockets.

or handgun hangers like above if you have shelves

Back
Top Bottom