Tips for new crow hunter

I am going to try my hand at crow hunting and I wanted to see if anyone had some advice for me before I try it next weekend?

Use camo or concealment, and don't move until it's time to shoot. Ecaller and decoys can bring them in close from miles away. Oftentimes you can get a banter going with them.

Eye sight and recognition like you wouldn't believe. Essential to be very still. Let the sentry check things out before blasting the crew that follows. If the sentry discovers you, blast him. If he gets away you may as well head out and get lunchas it's going to be a while before anything comes back.

When I was a teenager in rural FL, me and my best friend were terrors to the neighborhood bird population with our bb guns. But crows always eluded us. After months of trying, we rolled up on one eating roadkill and got a shot in before he noticed us. We were so proud that we took it home to show my dad. He made us eat it…we cooked it over a campfire in the back yard.

Last edited:
Crows are my favorite bird. Befriend a murder of crows instead and they will bring you gifts in exchange for food.

Crows are my favorite bird. Befriend a murder of crows instead and they will bring you gifts in exchange for food.

I've been chucking chunks of bread out to our local crows. I'm trying to befriend the whole gang. What's good "bait" to bring them in? The bread doesn't last long, and only feeds the first few - I want to have the yard covered in crows.

You'd be lucky to get within 200 yards of a crow. They are extremely intelligent and very wary of humans.

I have a deer feeding spot within sight of my back door. I can open the door and the usual pair of crows there immediately fly away. If they're really hungry, it might take a clap of my hands to roust them and they're gone like the wind.

When I was a teenager in rural FL, me and my best friend were terrors to the neighborhood bird population with our bb guns. But crows always eluded us. After months of trying, we rolled up on one eating roadkill and got a shot in before he noticed us. We were so proud that we took it home to show my dad. He made us eat it…we cooked it over a campfire in the back yard.
Hence the phrase, 'eating crow'. Did it last like chicken?

I've been chucking chunks of bread out to our local crows. I'm trying to befriend the whole gang. What's good "bait" to bring them in? The bread doesn't last long, and only feeds the first few - I want to have the yard covered in crows.
Dry dog food

crows like to frequent and feed where they see other feathered friends of theirs...not necessarily other crows. when i was younger, me and my hunting partner learned a trick from seasoned crow hunters. they wouldn't buy decoys, they sprayed old soup size cans black and tossed them about in a clearing to look like they were feeding birds. crows couldn't distinguish between an old can from a feeding live bird while circling about and would come down in the middle of them.

Back
Top Bottom