Tips on Applying for LTC-Important Info

Thanks Len, strange stuff! MA Trial Court library lists the 21st edition (2013) ... I'm guessing that the MPI webpage is incorrect.

No I don't think that MPI is incorrect. Perhaps he started his numbering scheme over again after the 2014 law was passed??

I'd go by copyright dates rather than edition numbers in this case.

I am a non resident and want to get an LTC so I can use th ranges up there. Do I have to go to Chelsea every year to renew or only for initial interview. Also I assume I will probably only Get a LTC B ? I just want to be able to bring my hand guns and my AR to the range. it's 15 mins from my house but I live in Ct.

I am a non resident and want to get an LTC so I can use th ranges up there. Do I have to go to Chelsea every year to renew or only for initial interview. Also I assume I will probably only Get a LTC B ? I just want to be able to bring my hand guns and my AR to the range. it's 15 mins from my house but I live in Ct.

Every renewal requires a trip to Chelsea.

There is no long longer distinction between A & B for newly issued licenses. When there was distinction, MSP/FRB policy was to restrict NR LTC-B licenses to chemical propellant (i.e. mace) only. If you jump through the hoops, fill the application properly, and have a clean history, getting a class A licenses wasn't and isn't too difficult. Unless you have a very good, articulable reason it will be restricted, usually consummate with whatever reasoning you give them for wanting the license. (i.e. if you tell them that you only want to hunt and/or target shoot, you will be given a target/hunting restriction. if your rationale includes something about non-hunting outdoors recreation, they will probably give you a sporting restriction. etc....) Sometimes they will also come up with custom restrictions based on an applicant's reason for seeking a license.

The other thing that you will need is a Mass BFS certificate. Unless you took the course with a Mass certified instructor, who issued you an MSP certificate and submitted your info to MSP, the NRA course you used for your Connecticut permit will not be sufficient.

Will this LTC allow me to bring an AR15 into mass for range shooting ? I believe it has to be post ban configuration though right ? I put a collapsible stock back on my AR in Ct after I had to register it.

Yes. I asked the former director of the FRB if they would consider renewals by mail. He told me "no", because they need to check to make sure your fingerprints have not been altered (yes, seriously).

Wow, there is a lot of good information on this thread. I'm in Saugus, which appears to be green. I was arrested and appeared in court when I was 16 (I'm now 32). Final outcome was CWOF on charge of destruction of property. I'm planning on submitting the full details of the incident. The abridged version is that another teen I was with at the bus stop was lighting papers from his backpack on fire and we were both subsequently arrested. Am I doing myself a disservice by submitting this, or would this fall under the better to over disclose than under disclose theory? Hoping something this foolish doesn't prevent me from being eligible for my LTC.

Wow, there is a lot of good information on this thread. I'm in Saugus, which appears to be green. I was arrested and appeared in court when I was 16 (I'm now 32). Final outcome was CWOF on charge of destruction of property. I'm planning on submitting the full details of the incident. The abridged version is that another teen I was with at the bus stop was lighting papers from his backpack on fire and we were both subsequently arrested. Am I doing myself a disservice by submitting this, or would this fall under the better to over disclose than under disclose theory? Hoping something this foolish doesn't prevent me from being eligible for my LTC.

The PD is going to find out when they run a BOP, so honesty is the best policy. Failure to disclose will likely result in denial whereas if this was the whole truth to what happened and you disclose, most towns will issue your LTC. You might go to the court and try to get the Docket Sheet for the case from the Clerk's office, if so make a copy and attach a copy of that to your application with your written explanation . . . it makes it easier for the PD and shows your honesty in full disclosure.

Okay so tell me how much trouble I'm in. So I filed for a renewal for my license Class A unrestricted in a green town March 15th. I got my interview April 30th. Still waiting for a new license now that my old one expired July 6th. The problem is that in late April we decided to sell the house and it sold during the open house on the 1st weekend. We closed and moved out the end of June. The police department says they are mailing it to the address on the license will it be forwarded along with the rest of my mail or is this one of those things that they can't forward and is going to sit in limbo forever now.
And yes I have the paperwork all ready to send for my change of address as soon as the new license gets in.

New member here - First off thanks for a ll the info. With that I had a question - The old forms specifically talked about excluding Minor Motor Vehicle infractions (Speeding, in my case) - However the questions that concern me:
#4 - Have you ever been arrested or appeared in court as a defendant for any criminal offense - technically yes, as I did appeal my speeding ticket (I lost and paid my fine)
#9 - Have you ever been convicted as an adult.... - Same deal- I believe "At fault" or "responsible" counts as a "conviction"

Thanks in advance! - I'll be applying in Fitchburg (which was green, but I'm not sure how the new COP does things)

The questions are as much a "truth test" as they are to discover your background.

Always err on the side of being truthful and forthcoming: "I appeared in court once in March of 1990 to contest a speeding ticket I received (I lost)." Makes you sound like a responsible guy, right? You're even willing to mention that you fought a speeding ticket. That's part of the test.

New member here - First off thanks for a ll the info. With that I had a question - The old forms specifically talked about excluding Minor Motor Vehicle infractions (Speeding, in my case) - However the questions that concern me:
#4 - Have you ever been arrested or appeared in court as a defendant for any criminal offense - technically yes, as I did appeal my speeding ticket (I lost and paid my fine)
#9 - Have you ever been convicted as an adult.... - Same deal- I believe "At fault" or "responsible" counts as a "conviction"

Thanks in advance! - I'll be applying in Fitchburg (which was green, but I'm not sure how the new COP does things)
Was the speeding a criminal or civil infraction?

What MAJoe said. Moving violations could be either.

First, examine the citation ("ticket") to determine if you were merely issued a warning or cited for a violation. If the officer checked "warning" you were only issued a warning and you do not need to do anything. If the officer checked "all civil infractions" then you were cited only for civil violations (known as Civil Motor Vehicle Infractions, or CMVIs). If the officer checked "criminal complaint application" or "arrest" then you were cited for at least one criminal violation, or for a combination of civil and criminal violations.

http://www.mass.gov/courts/selfhelp/tickets/cmvi-faq.html

Criminal: answer yes
Civil: answer no

1. A Civil traffic citation is not a criminal offense.
2. A finding of "responsible" on a civil offense is not a conviction

Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate your help on this. 15 over. It was bs but all civil so I'll answer accordingly.

Last edited:
Hello, does anybody know if being summoned to a magistrate show-cause hearing counts as appearing in court? There was no arrest or arraignment, the case was dropped. I didn't think this applied to question 4 so I didn't include it on my FID application (it was issued no problem, the licensing department either missed it or didn't feel it was enough of an issue to reject my application) but now I feel like I should have. I intend to apply for an LTC and am wondering if not including it on my FID application will come back to bite me when I disclose it on the LTC application.

EDIT: "'Court' includes a judge, special magistrate, or clerk" (http://www.mass.gov/courts/case-legal-res/rules-of-court/criminal-procedure/crim2.html).

I may have inadvertently committed perjury. I suppose my only option now is to go to get the docket and explain my case to the licensing officer and hope that they are sympathetic.

Last edited:
Hello, does anybody know if being summoned to a magistrate show-cause hearing counts as appearing in court? There was no arrest or arraignment, the case was dropped. I didn't think this applied to question 4 so I didn't include it on my FID application (it was issued no problem, the licensing department either missed it or didn't feel it was enough of an issue to reject my application) but now I feel like I should have. I intend to apply for an LTC and am wondering if not including it on my FID application will come back to bite me when I disclose it on the LTC application.

EDIT: "'Court' includes a judge, special magistrate, or clerk" (http://www.mass.gov/courts/case-legal-res/rules-of-court/criminal-procedure/crim2.html).

I may have inadvertently committed perjury. I suppose my only option now is to go to get the docket and explain my case to the licensing officer and hope that they are sympathetic.
I appeared in front of a magistrate and was found for no probable cause. The licensing officer told me.not to worry as i did not get arraigned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I appeared in front of a magistrate and was found for no probable cause. The licensing officer told me.not to worry as i did not get arraigned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

So I should just tell the licensing officer and not worry about acquiring the docket?

Doesn't hurt to have it for your own records and if the LEO somehow pulls up something different, you can argue back.

Thanks for the advice. I attempted to get the court docket, but they said that the record was destroyed (probably since it was just a magistrate hearing and I didn't get into any more trouble). I'll just disclose it and see what the LO says.

Thanks for the advice. I attempted to get the court docket, but they said that the record was destroyed (probably since it was just a magistrate hearing and I didn't get into any more trouble). I'll just disclose it and see what the LO says.

Had the same deal happen was summoned to a show cause hearing. Magistrate confirmed I committed no crime. Mentioned it to my local PD when I applied. Officer told me I wasn't arrested or charged so neither applied and 4 weeks later I had my ltc in hand.

There never was a "docket". That gets created at arraignment. HOWEVER there may be a police report, and that could certainly pop up and bite you in the ass, particularly if you didn't disclose it.

Had an overall pretty good experience in Winchester.

Application submitted along with fingerprints and photo taken on March 30, just received my LTC with no restrictions today, May 3.

Only minimal setback was the secretary there telling me since I'm military with a home of record in Arizona, I was only eligible for the non-resident LTC. After calling up the Firearms Records Bureau, they got her name, called her up, and informed here I was eligible for a Resident Class A LTC due to being station in Mass. After that it was easy sailing!

Had an overall pretty good experience in Winchester.

Application submitted along with fingerprints and photo taken on March 30, just received my LTC with no restrictions today, May 3.

Only minimal setback was the secretary there telling me since I'm military with a home of record in Arizona, I was only eligible for the non-resident LTC. After calling up the Firearms Records Bureau, they got her name, called her up, and informed here I was eligible for a Resident Class A LTC due to being station in Mass. After that it was easy sailing!

Good. The number of PDs that try to screw our Military makes me furious! [devil2]

It's all laid out in black & white in MGLs including the non-expiring LTC for active duty MIL when home of record is MA and they are stationed in other states/overseas.

Back
Top Bottom