TN - Officer Shoots 3 Suspects - 3rd Shooting In 2 Weeks

The third Metro Nashville police shooting in two weeks ended an armed robbery at a Brentwood hotel.

Undercover Officer Justin Fox and an officer with another agency, both in plain clothes, interrupted the robbery in the wee hours of Thursday morning. The robbers ordered them to the ground at gunpoint, punching and kicking the officers, and Fox spun around and shot all three, a police spokeswoman said.

>snip<

The recent spate of officer-involved shootings has no discernible pattern, except that the officers were — or thought they were — in danger, said Metro spokeswoman Kris Mumford.

"They are all so different," she said. "One was a domestic situation, and the suspect pulled a knife and stabbed an officer. Another was when a suspect refused repeated commands.

>snip<

Leading up to Thursday's incident:

• On March 12, Officer Joe Shelton shot and killed 40-year-old Reginald Dewayne Wallace, who was robbing an Edgehill home. Shelton repeatedly told Wallace to get down. Instead, Wallace reached into his pocket, and Shelton fired. Wallace was pulling out an iPod.

• On March 11, Officer Michael Hunnicutt shot Pedro Valencia Barragan, 31, after Barragan stabbed Officer John Timm during a domestic violence call. Timmwas released from the hospital the next day. Barragan faces two charges of attempted murder.

• On Feb. 25, Officer Matthew Grindstaff returned fire during the execution of a search warrant, striking Quincy Maurice Fuqua. Fuqua was hit in the abdomen and is recovering.

A Sumner County shooting this month made national news when police shot and killed a bank robber dressed as a leprechaun and his accomplice after they fired on a patrol car.

Full article HERE

But I'll admit, I'm a little perplexed by the statements made by the dept. spokesperson.

I like it, shoot first, ask questions later. When you see the looser commiting a crime, or what looks like a move for a weapon, yeah, clean shoots.

TN used to be such a peaceful place. When I lived in Nashville in the 90s I could leave the house with doors wide open and not worry about anything getting stolen. Now, I would probably sleep with a gun under my pillow. Between all the gangs (MS-13, Vice Lords, Bloods, Crips, Gangster Disciples, etc), redneck wackos and lowlife scum from south of the border, TN is in a really bad shape.

TN used to be such a peaceful place. When I lived in Nashville in the 90s I could leave the house with doors wide open and not worry about anything getting stolen. Now, I would probably sleep with a gun under my pillow. Between all the gangs (MS-13, Vice Lords, Bloods, Crips, Gangster Disciples, etc), redneck wackos and lowlife scum from south of the border, TN is in a really bad shape.

Same with Memphis. Beale St. is a war zone from what I hear now. Mayor Harrington decided to cut the hell out of the anti-gang units; chaos ensued.

"On March 12, Officer Joe Shelton shot and killed 40-year-old Reginald Dewayne Wallace, who was robbing an Edgehill home. Shelton repeatedly told Wallace to get down. Instead, Wallace reached into his pocket, and Shelton fired. Wallace was pulling out an iPod"

What bothers me is that what Wallace was reaching for was irrelevant in my eyes. A cop has you at gunpoint, giving you instructions, you don't put your hands in your pocket. "Wallace was pulling out an iPod" should have been struck from the story. I understand that it is a "fact" of the story, but they could've then included a statement from Officer Shelton.

Undercover Officer Justin Fox and an officer with another agency, both in plain clothes, interrupted the robbery in the wee hours of Thursday morning. The robbers ordered them to the ground at gunpoint, punching and kicking the officers, and Fox spun around and shot all three, a police spokeswoman said.

Nice work officer Fox!

"On March 12, Officer Joe Shelton shot and killed 40-year-old Reginald Dewayne Wallace, who was robbing an Edgehill home. Shelton repeatedly told Wallace to get down. Instead, Wallace reached into his pocket, and Shelton fired. Wallace was pulling out an iPod"

What bothers me is that what Wallace was reaching for was irrelevant in my eyes. A cop has you at gunpoint, giving you instructions, you don't put your hands in your pocket. "Wallace was pulling out an iPod" should have been struck from the story. I understand that it is a "fact" of the story, but they could've then included a statement from Officer Shelton.

He was also in the process of robbing the home when confronted.

Back
Top Bottom