• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To All Mass Residents Thinking of Leaving

This is not a thread whereby those of us in "free states" will chide you for staying and fighting. It is perfectly understandable to stay. It is also perfectly understandable that it may not be financially viable for you to leave at this time or in the near future. You shouldn't impoverish yourself in order to hop the border.

This is not a thread where we will try to convince you to leave. If you want to stay in Mass you should probably not continue further as the info here will not be helpful for you.

This is a thread for those who have made up their mind to leave because the illegal AG decision was the last straw.

If you have made up you mind, then we are here to help you escape the Iron Curtain.

While I can only speak for myself I'm sure there are quite a few other NHer's like me who are more than willing to provide whatever assistance we can to help you hop the border into NH.

Here are some links to help:
www.fspmovers.com

https://freestateproject.org/move/moving-guide

https://freestateproject.org/move/welcome-wagon

https://freestateproject.org/resources/jobs (while not listed I recommend indeed and craigslist)

If you are on FB: https://freestateproject.org/resources/jobs/networking/fsp-job-alert-group-facebook

I do not post on NES as much as I used to. I have a better job that I am busier at as well as being busier in general (especially with political season gearing up). I will do what I can. The best way to reach me is to PM.

A word to the wise: NH is NOT perfect. And you will still have to be politically active. However, you can have far more influence on things (as an individual) due to how the legislature is set up. Case in point: I had a somewhat major role in getting a ridesharing bill passed that was not a crony anti-competitive bill that Uber wanted passed. How? Because I sent an email to all the reps regarding the bill and a rep familiar with my name (due to my running for office in 2014 as well as being an activist) who was a power player on the Commerce committee reached out to me for help in making sure the bill was a more free market bill. I explained how the industry worked and made other connections for the rep to speak to in order to have more "ammo" to ensure the committee voted correctly (as well as the full house). The bill passed with good amendments and is now law. It is a very awesome feeling knowing you had an impact on a bill.

I'm sure I have not touched on everything. If you are not scared at the prospect that NH is still a work in progress, contact me or any other NH members, I'm sure they will be glad to assist in any way they can.

Edit:

I forgot to add this link as it is helpful. Property tax rates are not everything. New Castle has the lowest property tax rates in the state but the property values are so insanely high that you are not living there unless you are a millionaire.

http://www.joeshimkus.com/NH-Tax-Rates.aspx

Last edited:
As Mark056 said "NH is better than Mass in many, many ways but it is not utopia."

Once you decide to leave your current state, I strongly recommend making your choice of where to go not based on what a state isn't, but what it is.

Before I moved to New Hampshire, I put a lot of thought into my options; I knew I wanted to leave a state where my vote was meaningless and the ruling party saw me as little more than a source of income. But I wasn't sure where I wanted to go, just that I was fed up with the status quo and saw little chance of improvement.

My recommendation? Make a list of potential new homes (preferably by county, not just state), rank them by the characteristics most important to you, often the top choices will be immediately apparent. Maybe New Hampshire will make the cut, maybe it won't.

Me and gf have been talking about getting a place together in nh for a little bit of time . Leaning more to buying at this point but that has some things me and her need to work out . She's currently paying more for rent then most of the mortgages we seen estimated on Zillow.
Me and her will be staying at our current jobs Dracut and chelmsford , so we are looking to be near the boarder so our drives won't be to far .
A list of towns to look at would be great that would allow us to not have long drives to work.

Me and gf have been talking about getting a place together in nh for a little bit of time . Leaning more to buying at this point but that has some things me and her need to work out . She's currently paying more for rent then most of the mortgages we seen estimated on Zillow.
Me and her will be staying at our current jobs Dracut and chelmsford , so we are looking to be near the boarder so our drives won't be to far .
A list of towns to look at would be great that would allow us to not have long drives to work.

That's ez- mode shit there thats like a couple farts away from the border. :)

Thanks. The wife and I were talking about it this past week. Unfortunately our youngest is in HS this year so 4 more years.... However, we're thinking about a cheap second residence somewhere.

No need to convince me, I currently have a roll off dumpster on my property to help whittle down what I will bring during the move. NH bound I am, don't worry I'm not going try to turn NH into MA... I am moving there because I support the NH status quo.

Thanks for your post Harrison. We have had a NH vacation home for many years and are in the process of moving there. The hammer has dropped, the MA house is on the market. We are about 40% moved.

The decision of where to go for now has been made, we are looking at properties in the immediate area to build on. We are here for the long haul.

I have joined the FSP and try to stay up to date. I'm also aware of some the areas I won't settle in. Too much like MA.

Keep up the fight, glad things are improving for you.

PM sent..............

If anyone would like some information about mortgages, thats what I do for a living. I can certainly help with any real estate needs. I moved to NH last year after wanting to for a long time. I could not be happier. I absolutely love everything about it. The people in general are so much nicer to deal with on a daily basis. I never get pissed off driving anywhere either because people for the most part are good, considerate drivers. I save a bunch of money on sales tax. The hunting has been great. There is SO much more to do if you love the outdoors. You can shoot almost anywhere. There are way less anti-gun anti-hunters. I could go on and on. I will absolutely love NH and will never go back to Mass. If anyone wants any info, please don't hesitate to ask me as well. Oh and Manchester actually isn't a bad place to go out and enjoy an evening if you do like a night out in the city from time to time. I HATE boston but really do enjoy going out in Manchester every now and then.

I recently made the move to NH, but for me it was a no brainer and extremely painless.

First, I have been working in NH and paying MA income tax for the past 13 years.

My youngest kid just graduated HS and I had fulfilled my promise to stay put until that happened.

As the youngest turns 18, the time has come to file a divorce that is about 6 years overdue (she moved out and left me with the kids and the house)

Along with all that came the need to sell the house and divide up the equity. No way was I going to pay extra to buy her out and stay in MA.

With three kids in college this fall, I made the genius financial decision to pay $20k in cash for a mobile home in NH. I now have no mortgage, my lot fee is less than what my MA income tax has been, I have enough room for the kids when they come home for school breaks, but no yard work and minimal maintenance.

When the dust settles next month, I will be living freely in NH, on approximately 1/5 of my salary. I can help out the kids with a big chunk of their college costs and still save enough to accelerate my retirement to around age 55.

I realize that this program wouldn't work for everybody, but the timing of it all has worked beautifully for me, and the nonsense last week was just confirmation that I will never look back.

Last edited:
I just want to say welcome to all you new folks coming to join us. I and my wife moved up just over 4 years ago and we could not be happier. It is so nice to live in such a beautiful place without the government up your azz at every turn.

Property tax can be a major consideration. You can often look up the current tax bill for a property, as well as the long-term history of valuation and tax rate.
Me and her will be staying at our current jobs Dracut and chelmsford , so we are looking to be near the border so our drives won't be to far . A list of towns to look at would be great that would allow us to not have long drives to work.
It's difficult to make a list of towns; without red/green towns to narrow down your search, any town within a tolerable commuting distance is an option. Price and property tax may be elevated in towns within commuting distance of Boston, for the obvious reasons.

If you start looking further away from the highway, consider commute time not just today, but also in the winter, or if you change jobs or offices.

Wife and I had already planned to move back to NH as my new position at my company is listed as a remote employee, no more MA Income tax on my salary after the move. Hers still will as she's working in Lexington.

Original timeline was to be moved by summer next year due to the work we need to do to this house to make it salable. The plan now is to be out as soon as possible.

I'm calling it Operation: Snake Pliskin, The Escape from MA.

Thank you for the links..... now do you have a wife convincing app or something.
I have wanted out of here for a long time. My wife won't leave because of parents.
I said can't well all sell everything and buy many acres with a few house! My mom is game!

Love to leave but I can't so I guess I need to figure out how best to fight

My house goes on the market on Wednesday.

God willing, will be in NC by the middle of September.

NC, not quite as good as NH. Better weather though.

What part of NC, if you don't mind me asking? I have been looking for a job in the Raleigh area for work for a while with no luck.

I have been looking in salem NH near Northeast rehab area. my inlaws have a Nice home near there.Its real close to Mass and my wife has Medical issues and can't be on the road long and can't be on the Highways so for now that's the future plan if my New Job works out.

You can go further up into NH and the commute won't be as bad as you think. We lived in Nashua before moving to the Eastern Monadnock area. My commute to Nashua is 30 to 45 min depending on traffic. DH works all over central/North central MA. When we moved here it seemed like a long drive. Now I wish we went a little farther out. We both do most of our errands on the way to or from work to multi task.

No need to convince me, I currently have a roll off dumpster on my property to help whittle down what I will bring during the move. NH bound I am, don't worry I'm not going try to turn NH into MA... I am moving there because I support the NH status quo.

Same here. If I had access to a time machine, I'd be moving to 1955 NH. [laugh]

If I had access to a time machine I would have moved to Gulf Coast Florida 30 years ago. Warm winters, fish, hunt and respect for 2nd amendment. Everyone's situation is different. But if you are going to move, think big.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

If I had access to a time machine I would have moved to Gulf Coast Florida 30 years ago. Warm winters, fish, hunt and respect for 2nd amendment. Everyone's situation is different. But if you are going to move, think big.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I dont think I could handle the humidity, but point taken.

The reddest of towns in NH would fall squarely into the green hue in MA

I'd be more concerned about avoiding a HOA, failing bridges, or contaminated groundwater than avoiding an entire town on the basis of local politics. Statewide preemption and related laws currently make it difficult for your local town to mess with you or with local gun clubs.
for those of us looking for property can we get a list of towns to stay away from?
What would your reasons for staying away from a town be? It's not like we have red and green towns.
I could make a map of red/green towns for broadband Internet access if it'll make people feel better. [smile]

Honestly, I can't name a list of towns to stay away from strictly on the basis of gun rights, unless you have a sketchy police record.[thinking]

There are certainly towns and neighborhoods I would avoid for other reasons, mostly traffic, crime, flooding, strict zoning enforcement, and other quality of life issues. You can get a feel for a lot of these issues by digging through the local paper, police blotter, and town committee and other meeting minutes. It takes a while, but better to do your research than make an offer you might regret.

Last edited:
Could someone give some pros/cons of NH vs RI for someone working in downtown Boston needing to take public transportation into the city?

Back
Top Bottom