• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To many Camp Lejeune commercials

The Camp Lejeune Lawsuit Racket​

How Democrats rigged a legislative payoff for trial lawyers.​

From Today's WSJ.

"Any American watching TV in recent months has seen the avalanche of trial-lawyer ads offering to represent Marines exposed to chemicals at North Carolina’s Camp Lejeune. Here’s the back story on how Democrats in Congress turned a bipartisan effort to aid sick Marines into a new bounty for trial lawyers.

In August President Joe Biden signed the PACT Act, which provides compensation to veterans and family members exposed to toxic substances. This includes lawsuits brought by those exposed to chemicals in the water from 1953 to 1987 at Camp Lejeune. Yet even as the bill removed the government’s ability to defend against suits, it eliminated caps on trial-lawyer fees. The tort bar is now preparing to cash in, leaving Marines with little and taxpayers with a ridiculous bill.

This was no accident, as the legislative history makes clear. In 2012 President Obama signed legislation providing federal health dollars to Camp Lejeune veterans who might have been affected by exposure. More recently a bipartisan group in Congress worked on fixing technicalities in federal and state law that denied some plaintiffs the ability to successfully sue the government for compensation.

Rep. Matt Cartwright (D., Pa.) introduced the first such bill in early 2021 with 163 co-sponsors. Because that legislation made it easier to win lawsuits, it included a fee cap of 20% if claims are adjudicated out of court, and 25% if it goes to trial. This matches fee caps in the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA), the standard route for suing the feds for injury.

Yet in late 2021 North Carolina Republicans Thom Tillis and Richard Burr—longtime proponents of Camp Lejeune payouts—joined Democrats Richard Blumenthal and Gary Peters to introduce a new version without fee caps. Mr. Cartwright quickly followed in the House. Federal disclosure forms show that tort heavyweights such as the Bell Legal Group employed a bevy of lobbyists in 2021 to help pass the Camp LeJeune legislation.

Democrats then stuffed the provision into the House PACT Act to shield it from debate or amendments. Senate Democrats rejected pleas to allow modifications. This included demands from the Biden Justice Department for a no-fault compensation fund—to avoid costly and time-consuming litigation—and fee caps of 2% to file claims and 10% if a lawsuit proved necessary. Senate Democrats ignored this and blocked GOP amendments.

This has set the stage for a gigantic taxpayer-funded transfer of wealth to Democratic trial-lawyer donors. The Congressional Budget Office initially estimated the Camp Lejeune legislation would cost $6 billion, but the bill has no limit on payouts. The Navy recently told Members of Congress that it has already fielded 20,000 cases, and the minimum claim is for $10 million. That’s $200 billion.

Under the law, payouts will be offset by federal health benefits provided via Medicare or Veteran’s Affairs—so amounts could end up lower. Yet the Navy expects 100,000 cases to be filed within the law’s two-year window and the total cost could be hundreds of billions. Veterans report trial lawyers are charging them 40% or more in contingency fees, in addition to filing and paperwork fees and expenses. Democrats have set up their trial-lawyer benefactors to siphon money from sick veterans.

And for doing very little work. The point of the Camp Lejeune bill was to limit the federal government’s ability to offer a defense. The legislation strips from the government the immunity provided under the Federal Tort Claims Act. It lowers the burden of proof necessary to show harm from “more likely than not” to “as likely as not.” And it allows litigants the right to a jury trial—where awards are likely to be higher. One reason the FTCA has caps of 20% and 25% is so taxpayer-funded awards go primarily to victims, not attorneys.

***​

Alaska Sen. Dan Sullivan made these point and more as he asked unanimous Senate consent in December to stop the bilking and impose the fee caps that Justice recommended—2% and 10%. His legislation has support from the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars. Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin—a long-time trial-lawyer protector—objected, claiming caps would deny Camp Lejeune victims “good lawyers.” Mr. Durbin continues to block changes.

This is a scandal in plain sight, and it’s also an indictment of rushed bipartisan governance. The $667 billion PACT Act was rife with problems, yet Democrats brought it up shortly before the election and dared Republicans to oppose veterans’ benefits. The GOP was aware of the tort-lawyer loophole, but 34 Republicans in the House and 34 in the Senate voted for the PACT Act anyway. Taxpayers and Marines are paying the price, and the GOP shouldn’t rest until they’ve fixed this trial-lawyer ripoff.

I'm still trying to work solely through the VA system and avoiding the lawsuit process for now. The Democrats clearly screwed all the Camp Lejeune Marines with the amendments they attached to our bill last summer when they attached it to the overall PACT Act. For example, if someone sues the government under this law, any monetary award, including the award to your attorney, will be taken out of your government benefits down the road. They are giving with one hand and taking away with the other. They also added an amendment that disallows punitive damages. You can only sue for actual damages.

I invite people to read that section of the PACT Act. Unlike the rest of the PACT Act, the Camp Lejeune section is short and tacked on at the very end. With the variety of health problems I have from this debacle, I'm still hoping that the VA will just do it's frigging job.

My God it's becoming so obnoxious! It's more obnoxious than seeing all the woke racial commercials foisted on us. WTF is going on the last few weeks ? I know the water was bad but is this 'cause Lawyers ?
I don't have such gripes because instead of watching TV; I hunt, fish, shoot, read Quran and attend Mosque regularly. Food for thought.

Toes, eh?

Toes.

Sure.

Since my post in March of 2023, I have decided to go down the path of a civil claim. I didn't bother to update this thread when I did so, but now that Zappa has opened it up again, I'll drop this update.

On the surface, Bobbitt's story seems funny, but it is not funny to me. The court case has revealed that the extensive contamination was even worse than we could possibly know. Neuropathy is VERY common among Lejeune survivors and is very debilitating. I actually feel sorry for the guy.

I won't go over my extensive list of health problems tied to that garbage. Suffice it to say that I have extensive gastric, endocrine, liver and kidney problems. A GI cancer tied to that water nearly killed me at age 55. What happened at that base was horrific. Last year, the DoD finally revealed just how horrific. Besides the solvents that we have known about for years now, the government now admits to heavy metals (lead, cadmium, mercury, arsenic, etc.), pesticides, herbicides, fuel components and radiological materials. We know that some of the radiological material was Strontium-90 from experiments performed on dogs in the 50's and 60's. The last of the radiological material was not found and removed until approximately 5 years ago.

1713090392659.png

Since my post in March of 2023, I have decided to go down the path of a civil claim. I didn't bother to update this thread when I did so, but now that Zappa has opened it up again, I'll drop this update.

On the surface, Bobbitt's story seems funny, but it is not funny to me. The court case has revealed that the extensive contamination was even worse than we could possibly know. Neuropathy is VERY common among Lejeune survivors and is very debilitating. I actually feel sorry for the guy.

I won't go over my extensive list of health problems tied to that garbage. Suffice it to say that I have extensive gastric, endocrine, liver and kidney problems. A GI cancer tied to that water nearly killed me at age 55. What happened at that base was horrific. Last year, the DoD finally revealed just how horrific. Besides the solvents that we have known about for years now, the government now admits to heavy metals (lead, cadmium, mercury, arsenic, etc.), pesticides, herbicides, fuel components and radiological materials. We know that some of the radiological material was Strontium-90 from experiments performed on dogs in the 50's and 60's. The last of the radiological material was not found and removed until approximately 5 years ago.

View attachment 872709
I wonder how many other bases have similar contamination, been dealing with similar issues and there is no family history for it.

I'm still trying to work solely through the VA system and avoiding the lawsuit process for now. The Democrats clearly screwed all the Camp Lejeune Marines with the amendments they attached to our bill last summer when they attached it to the overall PACT Act. For example, if someone sues the government under this law, any monetary award, including the award to your attorney, will be taken out of your government benefits down the road. They are giving with one hand and taking away with the other. They also added an amendment that disallows punitive damages. You can only sue for actual damages.
It is pretty much standard (and universal with Medicare) that if you collect on a suit for bodily damages, that the insurer who paid for medical care for treatment of that bodily is entitled to be reimbursed from any settlement or award as the medical fees were damages to the insurer, not the plaintiff. Any medical costs the plaintiff paid out of pocket, and were not paid by insurance, are damages to the plaintiff and kept by him/her (after the attorneys cut of the action).

I invite people to read that section of the PACT Act. Unlike the rest of the PACT Act, the Camp Lejeune section is short and tacked on at the very end. With the variety of health problems I have from this debacle, I'm still hoping that the VA will just do it's frigging job.
They don't take out future benefits.

You should follow people who are dealing with this...

About​

This group is for the Marines, Navy personnel, their families and loyal civilian personnel who either served, lived or worked aboard Camp Lejeune Marined Corps Base from the early 1950's through 1987. During that time we were exposed to toxic chemicals in water distribution systems at Tarawa Terrace and Hadnot Point. A third water system may have also been contaminated as well. Please see our website www.tftptf.com for more information.
Rules: This is not a place for political fighting. We can discuss politics because it is critical to our fight, but the moment you make it personal you have crossed the line. A good way to approach this is the way most of us have who've been in this for a while: All politicians need to be urged to do the right thing by our community because it is not likely any politicians will act on our interests without our "lobbying" efforts. Importantly, this goes back decades as does the betrayal, and it continues to this very day. There is not one party or one politician to blame, instead it is our very institutions that we should focus on making accountable because all of them have and continue to fail us every day.
Lastly, there is no solicitation allowed in the site. Many of you have had some creative ideas in the form of bumper stickers, T shirts, patches etc. Unfortunately, we can not allowed people to ask for money on the site for these items. If you wish to post that you have them and give them away and request reimbursement for shipping, that is permissible. Otherwise, please do not solicit for products on the site.
See less

It is pretty much standard (and universal with Medicare) that if you collect on a suit for bodily damages, that the insurer who paid for medical care for treatment of that bodily is entitled to be reimbursed from any settlement or award as the medical fees were damages to the insurer, not the plaintiff. Any medical costs the plaintiff paid out of pocket, and were not paid by insurance, are damages to the plaintiff and kept by him/her (after the attorneys cut of the action).

I've been following the happenings in the current Federal case closely and it appears that the so-called "offsets" you refer to have been negotiated away in all of the settlements that the DoJ has currently paid out under the government's Elective Option. I have also read in some of the court status reports and hearing transcripts that the lawyers are negotiating toward a stipulation that would waive offsets from trial cases as well. We will see.

They don't take out future benefits.

You should follow people who are dealing with this...

About​

This group is for the Marines, Navy personnel, their families and loyal civilian personnel who either served, lived or worked aboard Camp Lejeune Marined Corps Base from the early 1950's through 1987. During that time we were exposed to toxic chemicals in water distribution systems at Tarawa Terrace and Hadnot Point. A third water system may have also been contaminated as well. Please see our website www.tftptf.com for more information.
Rules: This is not a place for political fighting. We can discuss politics because it is critical to our fight, but the moment you make it personal you have crossed the line. A good way to approach this is the way most of us have who've been in this for a while: All politicians need to be urged to do the right thing by our community because it is not likely any politicians will act on our interests without our "lobbying" efforts. Importantly, this goes back decades as does the betrayal, and it continues to this very day. There is not one party or one politician to blame, instead it is our very institutions that we should focus on making accountable because all of them have and continue to fail us every day.
Lastly, there is no solicitation allowed in the site. Many of you have had some creative ideas in the form of bumper stickers, T shirts, patches etc. Unfortunately, we can not allowed people to ask for money on the site for these items. If you wish to post that you have them and give them away and request reimbursement for shipping, that is permissible. Otherwise, please do not solicit for products on the site.
See less

Actually, in the cases that have settled so far and the government has paid out under the EO, offsets were fully waived by the DoJ. The issue of offsets, or waiving them, is still up in the air for those going to trial, but I have read in the transcripts that there is a lot of negotiating going on between plaintiffs lawyers and government lawyers.

Actually, in the cases that have settled so far and the government has paid out under the EO, offsets were fully waived by the DoJ. The issue of offsets, or waiving them, is still up in the air for those going to trial, but I have read in the transcripts that there is a lot of negotiating going on between plaintiffs lawyers and government lawyers.
The initial settlements are a pittance and only being accepted by very desperate people.
They are between them and the govt.

Some people have millions in medical payouts by private insurance companies who want that clawback.

Some of those settlements are only $100,000.00.

I know somebody whose been getting meds that cost $70,000 per month over the last decade.

Lawyers will get 30 to 40 percent so the government needs to offer many millions to pay back the insurance company and lawyers who get 40%.

The vet will die before it's settled to it becomes a wrongful death case that will take many years to settle.

Check out the facebook site. It's run by Mike Partain and Jerry Ensminger who have been fighting this cause for decades. Mike and Jerry are the ones who discovered the cover up. Mike has cancer and Jerry's daughter died. The Ensminger Act was named after her.

They post important information on what is going on with the lawsuits.

Right now, the lawsuits and settlements are not happening because the government is not paying out.

You'd be wise to use FB or find somebody who has FB to get onto that page.

It's filled with insiders and not the BS lawyers on TV with false promises.

Camp Lejeune Toxic Water Survivors

Back
Top Bottom