• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To many Camp Lejeune commercials

I suffer from "CLD" 🤪

Camp Lejeune Disorder...

They just got around to claiming Agent Orange was stored in Guam and Thailand but refuse to claim it was stored on Okinawa. That’s because of the amount of people were affected by what the government did. Since 72 or so burned Agent Orange. I know because in 76 we had no idea until after the fact. We burned in our training pit (Crash Fire and Rescue) in Futemna 100 barrels of 55 gallon drums of it. We basically burned their evidence. Futemna is now a superfund site too. In the meantime people I know got cancer either died or are in treatment. I too have cancer got my prostate removed and later had radiation treatment now hormone treatment. And yes exposed to AFFF foam and stationed at New River aka Camp Lejeune. Great a trifecta how’s that for odds.

Last edited:
I've continued to enjoy all the commercials. I did receive notice today that my VA healthcare application has been approved and I'll be bumped in priority due to.................................you guessed it.....................Camp Lejeune water!!! Carry on boys and girls.

So, what has happened there since? How is the installation different? It's still operational so they didn't Love Canal the whole place. Has this meaningfully changed how the place functions?

So, what has happened there since? How is the installation different? It's still operational so they didn't Love Canal the whole place. Has this meaningfully changed how the place functions?

I wouldn't know as I haven't been back there in over 40 years.

I've continued to enjoy all the commercials. I did receive notice today that my VA healthcare application has been approved and I'll be bumped in priority due to.................................you guessed it.....................Camp Lejeune water!!! Carry on boys and girls.
Great news, the VA finally stepped up. What benefits will you receive from the VA now?

Great news, the VA finally stepped up. What benefits will you receive from the VA now?

The VA has already contacted me for assignment to a VA primary care physician at the Brockton VA. My understanding is that I will be entitled to at least one general check up per year plus anything related to the water contamination. I do have some substantial issues related to the water at the base. I have had stage 4 colon cancer which the Dana Farber oncologist has directly linked to the water, along with liver issues that are automatically linked by law. In addition, the chemo used during my cancer treatment caused a variety of secondary health problems that should also fall within their care guidelines.

This is all separate from the disability claim that I also have pending.

Baby steps, but everything seems to be moving forward. Thank God for the DAV and the threat of this lawsuit that is percolating. This has been an eight year battle for me just to get to this stage. I can honestly say that the DAV poured their heart and soul into helping me when others would not.

The VA has already contacted me for assignment to a VA primary care physician at the Brockton VA. My understanding is that I will be entitled to at least one general check up per year plus anything related to the water contamination. I do have some substantial issues related to the water at the base. I have had stage 4 colon cancer which the Dana Farber oncologist has directly linked to the water, along with liver issues that are automatically linked by law. In addition, the chemo used during my cancer treatment caused a variety of secondary health problems that should also fall within their care guidelines.

Baby steps, but everything seems to be moving forward. Thank God for the DAV and the threat of this lawsuit that is percolating. This has been an eight year battle for me just to get to this stage. I can honestly say that the DAV poured their heart and soul into helping me when others would not.
Will the VA cover all your medical issues related to the contamination/water?

And you would give anything just to have your health. You are truly deserving of this.

to see if chemicals had drifted from a hazardous waste dump to nearby water wells.
Only the f***in Marine Corps would put a hazardous waste dump, near water wells.

I was there briefly in 87. I always figured it was the food in the chow hall that was killing us.

Only the f***in Marine Corps would put a hazardous waste dump, near water wells.

I was there briefly in 87. I always figured it was the food in the chow hall that was killing us.
It's not the corps as it is the DOD. DOD thought that it was immune "cuz government" etc. A good % of superfund/dump sites are all gov related.... I'm not an eco nazi but dumping garbage into an active water table is pretty much the worst thing you can do. They couldn't even be bothered to contain a rise it and bury it in the mountain or something or put it in some deep part of the ocean.... they just f****** " went in the backyard and dumped it"..... 110% chinesium style.

It's not the corps as it is the DOD. DOD thought that it was immune "cuz government" etc. A good % of superfund/dump sites are all gov related.... I'm not an eco nazi but dumping garbage into an active water table is pretty much the worst thing you can do. They couldn't even be bothered to contain a rise it and bury it in the mountain or something or put it in some deep part of the ocean.... they just f****** " went in the backyard and dumped it"..... 110% chinesium style.
Most Military Bases back in 50's/60's/70's, etc. were hazardous waste sites. No understanding of hazardous waste and didn't care. Camp Edwards/Otis AFB is accused of polluting Cape water table with MEK, foam, lead bullets, etc. I worked in a few machine shops in the 70's/80's where we dumped oil/solvents down public sewers. I used to change my engine oil in the 70's and dump it down the sewer. My Mother's house in Norwood was across from a Super Fund Site where an electronics company had dumped/buried PCP's waste. Thankfully we've smartened up but many innocent citizens paid the price.

People knew it was a problem. They just didn't care.
Not during the 50's/60's I believe, in the 70's the pollution and it's effects started rearing it's ugly head and then the govt/lawyers stepped in. Since Ma. was heavily Industrialized there were many Superfund sites, Woburn, Norwood, New Bedford, Pittsfield, etc. I can't believe at my age I'm still alive, when we were kids we fished in a pond outside a tannery in the 60's which stunk but what did we know. I remember playing Army/Cowboys and Indians in the woods and coming across 1/2 buried 55 gal. drums, God knows what was leaching out of them.

They just got around to claiming Agent Orange was stored in Guam and Thailand but refuse to claim it was stored on Okinawa. That’s because of the amount of people were affected by what the government did. Since 72 or so burned Agent Orange. I know because in 76 we had no idea until after the fact. We burned in our training pit (Crash Fire and Rescue) in Futemna 100 barrels of 55 gallon drums of it. We basically burned their evidence. Futemna is now a superfund site too. In the meantime people I know got cancer either died or are in treatment. I too have cancer got my prostate removed and later had radiation treatment now hormone treatment. And yes exposed to AFFF foam and stationed at New River aka Camp Lejeune. Great a trifecta how’s that for odds.
I have an older brother that served in the USN in Vietnam who has Agent-Orange health issues. After decades the government finally gave him 100% disability because of it. With retro. Nasty stuff...

I know a woman whose husband died of Agent Orange 2 yrs ago. He was drafted into the Army and sent to Vietnam, the Army found out his Father was a Mortician so they assigned him to Mortuary Affairs. He thought he was spared jungle combat but he became very sick 5 yrs ago with Agent Orange symptoms. Apparently, the handling of bodies contaminated with the chemical's came back to get him, he died a horrible death. Talk about the fickle finger of fate.:mad:

I ha a friend that died within six months of returning from Nam.
He was in the Air Force and worked on the flight line refilling tanks with "Herbecides."
I was diagnosed with CML in the late 90's and was told that at that time it wasn't a type of cancer related to Agent Orange, but now it is!
Luckily for me, and thanks to stem cell treatments at Dana Farber, I have been in remission for almost 13 years!

I ha a friend that died within six months of returning from Nam.
He was in the Air Force and worked on the flight line refilling tanks with "Herbecides."
I was diagnosed with CML in the late 90's and was told that at that time it wasn't a type of cancer related to Agent Orange, but now it is!
Luckily for me, and thanks to stem cell treatments at Dana Farber, I have been in remission for almost 13 years!
Nice to hear from you, I thought you were moving East?

The Camp Lejeune Lawsuit Racket​

How Democrats rigged a legislative payoff for trial lawyers.​

From Today's WSJ.

"Any American watching TV in recent months has seen the avalanche of trial-lawyer ads offering to represent Marines exposed to chemicals at North Carolina’s Camp Lejeune. Here’s the back story on how Democrats in Congress turned a bipartisan effort to aid sick Marines into a new bounty for trial lawyers.

In August President Joe Biden signed the PACT Act, which provides compensation to veterans and family members exposed to toxic substances. This includes lawsuits brought by those exposed to chemicals in the water from 1953 to 1987 at Camp Lejeune. Yet even as the bill removed the government’s ability to defend against suits, it eliminated caps on trial-lawyer fees. The tort bar is now preparing to cash in, leaving Marines with little and taxpayers with a ridiculous bill.

This was no accident, as the legislative history makes clear. In 2012 President Obama signed legislation providing federal health dollars to Camp Lejeune veterans who might have been affected by exposure. More recently a bipartisan group in Congress worked on fixing technicalities in federal and state law that denied some plaintiffs the ability to successfully sue the government for compensation.

Rep. Matt Cartwright (D., Pa.) introduced the first such bill in early 2021 with 163 co-sponsors. Because that legislation made it easier to win lawsuits, it included a fee cap of 20% if claims are adjudicated out of court, and 25% if it goes to trial. This matches fee caps in the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA), the standard route for suing the feds for injury.

Yet in late 2021 North Carolina Republicans Thom Tillis and Richard Burr—longtime proponents of Camp Lejeune payouts—joined Democrats Richard Blumenthal and Gary Peters to introduce a new version without fee caps. Mr. Cartwright quickly followed in the House. Federal disclosure forms show that tort heavyweights such as the Bell Legal Group employed a bevy of lobbyists in 2021 to help pass the Camp LeJeune legislation.

Democrats then stuffed the provision into the House PACT Act to shield it from debate or amendments. Senate Democrats rejected pleas to allow modifications. This included demands from the Biden Justice Department for a no-fault compensation fund—to avoid costly and time-consuming litigation—and fee caps of 2% to file claims and 10% if a lawsuit proved necessary. Senate Democrats ignored this and blocked GOP amendments.

This has set the stage for a gigantic taxpayer-funded transfer of wealth to Democratic trial-lawyer donors. The Congressional Budget Office initially estimated the Camp Lejeune legislation would cost $6 billion, but the bill has no limit on payouts. The Navy recently told Members of Congress that it has already fielded 20,000 cases, and the minimum claim is for $10 million. That’s $200 billion.

Under the law, payouts will be offset by federal health benefits provided via Medicare or Veteran’s Affairs—so amounts could end up lower. Yet the Navy expects 100,000 cases to be filed within the law’s two-year window and the total cost could be hundreds of billions. Veterans report trial lawyers are charging them 40% or more in contingency fees, in addition to filing and paperwork fees and expenses. Democrats have set up their trial-lawyer benefactors to siphon money from sick veterans.

And for doing very little work. The point of the Camp Lejeune bill was to limit the federal government’s ability to offer a defense. The legislation strips from the government the immunity provided under the Federal Tort Claims Act. It lowers the burden of proof necessary to show harm from “more likely than not” to “as likely as not.” And it allows litigants the right to a jury trial—where awards are likely to be higher. One reason the FTCA has caps of 20% and 25% is so taxpayer-funded awards go primarily to victims, not attorneys.

***​

Alaska Sen. Dan Sullivan made these point and more as he asked unanimous Senate consent in December to stop the bilking and impose the fee caps that Justice recommended—2% and 10%. His legislation has support from the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars. Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin—a long-time trial-lawyer protector—objected, claiming caps would deny Camp Lejeune victims “good lawyers.” Mr. Durbin continues to block changes.

This is a scandal in plain sight, and it’s also an indictment of rushed bipartisan governance. The $667 billion PACT Act was rife with problems, yet Democrats brought it up shortly before the election and dared Republicans to oppose veterans’ benefits. The GOP was aware of the tort-lawyer loophole, but 34 Republicans in the House and 34 in the Senate voted for the PACT Act anyway. Taxpayers and Marines are paying the price, and the GOP shouldn’t rest until they’ve fixed this trial-lawyer ripoff.

From Today's WSJ.

"Any American watching TV in recent months has seen the avalanche of trial-lawyer ads offering to represent Marines exposed to chemicals at North Carolina’s Camp Lejeune. Here’s the back story on how Democrats in Congress turned a bipartisan effort to aid sick Marines into a new bounty for trial lawyers.

In August President Joe Biden signed the PACT Act, which provides compensation to veterans and family members exposed to toxic substances. This includes lawsuits brought by those exposed to chemicals in the water from 1953 to 1987 at Camp Lejeune. Yet even as the bill removed the government’s ability to defend against suits, it eliminated caps on trial-lawyer fees. The tort bar is now preparing to cash in, leaving Marines with little and taxpayers with a ridiculous bill.

This was no accident, as the legislative history makes clear. In 2012 President Obama signed legislation providing federal health dollars to Camp Lejeune veterans who might have been affected by exposure. More recently a bipartisan group in Congress worked on fixing technicalities in federal and state law that denied some plaintiffs the ability to successfully sue the government for compensation.

Rep. Matt Cartwright (D., Pa.) introduced the first such bill in early 2021 with 163 co-sponsors. Because that legislation made it easier to win lawsuits, it included a fee cap of 20% if claims are adjudicated out of court, and 25% if it goes to trial. This matches fee caps in the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA), the standard route for suing the feds for injury.

Yet in late 2021 North Carolina Republicans Thom Tillis and Richard Burr—longtime proponents of Camp Lejeune payouts—joined Democrats Richard Blumenthal and Gary Peters to introduce a new version without fee caps. Mr. Cartwright quickly followed in the House. Federal disclosure forms show that tort heavyweights such as the Bell Legal Group employed a bevy of lobbyists in 2021 to help pass the Camp LeJeune legislation.

Democrats then stuffed the provision into the House PACT Act to shield it from debate or amendments. Senate Democrats rejected pleas to allow modifications. This included demands from the Biden Justice Department for a no-fault compensation fund—to avoid costly and time-consuming litigation—and fee caps of 2% to file claims and 10% if a lawsuit proved necessary. Senate Democrats ignored this and blocked GOP amendments.

This has set the stage for a gigantic taxpayer-funded transfer of wealth to Democratic trial-lawyer donors. The Congressional Budget Office initially estimated the Camp Lejeune legislation would cost $6 billion, but the bill has no limit on payouts. The Navy recently told Members of Congress that it has already fielded 20,000 cases, and the minimum claim is for $10 million. That’s $200 billion.

Under the law, payouts will be offset by federal health benefits provided via Medicare or Veteran’s Affairs—so amounts could end up lower. Yet the Navy expects 100,000 cases to be filed within the law’s two-year window and the total cost could be hundreds of billions. Veterans report trial lawyers are charging them 40% or more in contingency fees, in addition to filing and paperwork fees and expenses. Democrats have set up their trial-lawyer benefactors to siphon money from sick veterans.

And for doing very little work. The point of the Camp Lejeune bill was to limit the federal government’s ability to offer a defense. The legislation strips from the government the immunity provided under the Federal Tort Claims Act. It lowers the burden of proof necessary to show harm from “more likely than not” to “as likely as not.” And it allows litigants the right to a jury trial—where awards are likely to be higher. One reason the FTCA has caps of 20% and 25% is so taxpayer-funded awards go primarily to victims, not attorneys.

***​

Alaska Sen. Dan Sullivan made these point and more as he asked unanimous Senate consent in December to stop the bilking and impose the fee caps that Justice recommended—2% and 10%. His legislation has support from the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars. Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin—a long-time trial-lawyer protector—objected, claiming caps would deny Camp Lejeune victims “good lawyers.” Mr. Durbin continues to block changes.

This is a scandal in plain sight, and it’s also an indictment of rushed bipartisan governance. The $667 billion PACT Act was rife with problems, yet Democrats brought it up shortly before the election and dared Republicans to oppose veterans’ benefits. The GOP was aware of the tort-lawyer loophole, but 34 Republicans in the House and 34 in the Senate voted for the PACT Act anyway. Taxpayers and Marines are paying the price, and the GOP shouldn’t rest until they’ve fixed this trial-lawyer ripoff.
Democrats will be expecting their quid pro quo come 2024 election campaign time.

From Today's WSJ.

***​

It’s not $667 billion.

It’s only $6 billion.

People would be lucky to get $5,000 when this is done in the next decade.

Back
Top Bottom