• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

To stop school shootings, use Israel's approach to fighting terror: Texas attorney general

commodon

NES Member
America is once again reeling from yet another deadly mass shooting. The victims at Santa Fe High School were taken from us too soon, and the prayers of Texas and the nation are with their families. There is something especially haunting about a killer targeting a school, where parents send their children on the assumption that they will be safe as they learn. Experience is a hard teacher, and with 2018’s second major school shooting behind us, its lesson is clear: We must secure our schools.

To stop school shootings, use Israel's approach to fighting terror: Texas attorney general

Last edited:
El AL (Israel's national airline for those unaware) has never been hijacked. Or maybe once. Which is close enough to never. They do these things called "profiling" and "behavior analysis" as part of the security screening process.

Maybe they're on to something with regards to security.

Some neat pistols too... 22lr Berettas for the longest time. Used to be able to buy them with fake suppressors welded on (for weight/import purposes).

"All over the country, schools lack security measures of any consequence — not enough armed personnel, few safety protocols and insufficient entryway monitoring. No federal government agency, airport or congressional office building would tolerate such vulnerability, so why the resistance to outfitting schools with the same level of security?"

Armed security staff, metal detectors, x-ray scanners for bags, take your coats off before you enter through the scanner and get wanded and then you can enter the school....

"but....but.....but....their civil rights are being violated....."

like our government is concerned at all about violating civil rights....2A is all but gone in some states. 1A, 4A, 5A and 14A are disappearing at an alarming rate.

Kids already cannot buy guns, alcohol and cigarettes or enter into a contract so obviously the government doesn't feel that under 18 years old you deserve any rights. So this seems a logic step.

Anyway, it beats what's happening. Protect the children!!!! For God's sake the gun free zones are allowing them to die. This isn't brain surgery.

However, the liberal anti 2A agenda would have no legs if children didn't die. So you will never see this happen.

Good luck to any red state politician who proposes any taxes to pay for all this. Many schools aren't built in a way that could be made secure. My highschool was a conglomerate of smaller buildings built over the years connected by covered walkways. Realistically, it would have to be knocked down and a new, controlled entrance mega-building would have to be built. I'm sure there are many others like this. Add in the cost of highly trained, well equipped security personnel who aren't roped into other work and all the screening technology and we're talking about a serious expense. Meanwhile places like OK are cutting back school weeks to 4 days because of budget shortfalls...

Or maybe the problem is intolerantly mandating tolerance, ignoring when someone sees something and says something, and canonizing these shitbags.

I was discussing this with a coworker at lunch today. I truly believe this is the prime reason why we're seeing an uptick in school shootings. You get some no name loser who feels disenfranchised look at the news and see now everyone knows the names of these people who are immortalized by the media. It's no stretch at all to conclude that if they want to be immortalized, they need a high body count of their own.

I think we'd see these fizzle out if instead of making sure everyone knows every little detail about these pieces of garbage, their names weren't even mentioned in the media. They're referred to only as "Loser XX". Effectively erase them from the historical record. Take away the immortality that the media gives them. The public at large should never know who they were.

I was discussing this with a coworker at lunch today. I truly believe this is the prime reason why we're seeing an uptick in school shootings. You get some no name loser who feels disenfranchised look at the news and see now everyone knows the names of these people who are immortalized by the media. It's no stretch at all to conclude that if they want to be immortalized, they need a high body count of their own.

I think we'd see these fizzle out if instead of making sure everyone knows every little detail about these pieces of garbage, their names weren't even mentioned in the media. They're referred to only as "Loser XX". Effectively erase them from the historical record. Take away the immortality that the media gives them. The public at large should never know who they were.
But then what would the very fake news folks talk about?

Talking about the potential imposition/infringement on civil rights created by metal detectors etc is silly. Courts have long since settled the privacy rights in schools vis-a-vis locker searches, and if an adult can be subjected to a warrantless search (non-invasive though it may be) to get into a sports venue it would be disingenuous to attempt to cry about an identical search of a child at a school. I'm sure there's an argument to be made about choosing to go to a concert vs being compelled to going to school but that's a different issue. This thread is about securing or hardening soft targets. To be clear, I don't like the fact that it needs to be done in the first place, but that's the reality.

To the "rebuild the schools" point... Making a target harder doesn't mean impervious. A couple of cameras, a couple of "one way" alarmed doors, maybe a golf cart for the rso so he can be more places in less time. Little things add up...

When I retire from teaching I volunteer to work security at the front door of my school. I'll do whatever I need to do to keep the students safe, including, if necessary, strip searching the dangerous looking single moms dropping off their kids in the morning! Don't ever accuse me of not being self-sacrificing!

Back
Top Bottom