• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Today was my last day shopping at Four Seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought one gun (ruger1911) from FS and will never go back again. The customer service is horrible (was told that if I wasn’t buying anything that they needed to help other paying customers after only looking at two guns, both 1911 for a total of maybe 10minutes tops) this was after waiting in line for over a hour. I ended up buying the ruger only because of the price.

Waiting in line for an hour? You have got to be kidding........
For god's sake, call Bob at Bob's in Websta, tell him what you want then take a nice drive down and pick it up.

You don't drive 2- 4 hours round trip to go to Four Seasons for personal attention you go for the pricing. If you want personal attention most of your local gun shops provide this and instead of tire kicking all the time buy something to pay back the personal attention.
Like another poster said Holliston Firearms is great you can pull up a chair and shoot the sh*t but if you want to see places like this last you need to spend money with them too.

You don't drive 2- 4 hours round trip to go to Four Seasons for personal attention you go for the pricing. If you want personal attention most of your local gun shops provide this and instead of tire kicking all the time buy something to pay back the personal attention.
Like another poster said Holliston Firearms is great you can pull up a chair and shoot the sh*t but if you want to see places like this last you need to spend money with them too.
Pricing? 2-4 hours? Why would anyone drive 2-4 hours to save $75.....or even $100?!? For f*** sake my time is worth way more than that......let alone gas money.

Last edited:
Pricing? 2-4 hours? Why would anyone drive 2-4 hours to save $75.....or even $100?!? For f*** sake my time is worth way more than that......let alone gas money.
hahaha, I remember this coming up on the "Am I a SkinFlint?" section. Personally would never drive more than 2 hours unless it is a matter of I'm not going to be able to get it otherwise. Otherwise it's getting shipped in. Though living in Western MA there really isn't such a thing as convenient.

Four Seasons is an acquired taste. Prices are the best in the state. Availability for popular firearms is high. That drives the crowds. I have NEVER had a bad customer service experience. This is not a shop for small talk during high traffic times. Having said that, if you come during off hours, staff are informed and willing to share what they know. Carl also puts money back into the local shooting community without fanfare. Transfer fees are higher than some, but I never had a problem with an out-of-state transfer. Living close makes this store my first stop. Second on the list is Collectors in Stoneham, another quirky but interesting gun shop.

I don't shop there anymore either. Like others have said - cattle rushing in to save like 20 bucks on a pistol. I got a local guy in town now I like to use. It's a few bucks more but I save on the commute. Plus I get delayed all the time even with a UPIN. He calls the next day.... F- driving back to Woburn. My time is worth more than the price difference.

IDK why they are delaying so much now - but LGS guy said it's become too common an occurrence. They need to get their shit together.

So that's the deal -- one bad experience and you'll never go back? I think that's a bit much IMO. Look, I'd be irritated too but unless it happens more than once it's hard to decide that you'll never go back b/c of one crappy experience. If it were me, I wouldn't be rushing back but I'd give them another chance in the future some time if they had something I was interested in.

Sure - why not. Why drive to get treated like a number? Hell I can go to my bank if I wanted to be treated like that. There are LGS that will actually appreciate your business. It's become clear FS isn't one of those places if they can't even make a phone call

I've been on a first name basis with Carl ever since he bought the store from Al and his two sons that sold it after Al died. I believe that was around 1993 or so. Carl has been a class act ever since, and if you bring a problem to his attention, he will go out of his way to rectify it and will never blow you off. In spite of many recommendations for Northeast, I had a problem that I didn't discover until about a year later, so going back to complain was not an option. When he cut a bayo lug off a brand new AR15 upper for me, he damaged/chewed the rubber on the sling swivel. Because I didn't have a lower yet, the upper sat in my safe for about a year. It wasn't until I took the upper out of the safe to attach it to the lower I built that I saw the damaged sling swivel, so I guess the moral of the story is, no one is perfect.

Why was coming in a year later not a option? If it was damaged we have no problem at all replacing the sling swivel for you without question.

we always keep a dozen of them in stock and the offer still stands if you want it replaced

we stand by our work unconditionally without time constraints

Last edited:
In spite of many recommendations for Northeast, I had a problem that I didn't discover until about a year later, so going back to complain was not an option.

Wow, you never gave him a chance to respond. And that he did right above this post.
+1 for your response sschevy.

Some of you remind me the dude from Sebastian Maniscalco's stand up routine "Subway". You do not read anything and you want to chat about the third tomato on the right while others got the routine down and want to just eat.

This may help you:
1. Sign up for Carl's emails.
2. Read and compare specs and prices using the internet.
3. Make sure your paperwork is all set BEFORE you show up in the shop. Carl is inviting you to do that on his web site anyway.
4. When you walk in and you see some people inside, do not get scared. They are not there to kidnap you and trade you for Glock. They are there to get their purchases and get the hell out of there as fast as they can. Do not block their exit way with silly questions!
This is not Mortons Steakhouse where you can drool over a raw meat uninterrupted by your waiter. This is drive thru Dunkin Donuts! Know your donuts and speak clearly when ordering.
5. Realize that this is MA. MA translates into any business language as HELL. Yes, Carl would like to have a bigger space but would you pay more for his rent?
6. Realize that you have to have some responsibility yourself. This is not a place for show and tell and buy nothing. Either you are buying, or you are leaving. Use this forum and many other forums to gain some knowledge PRIOR of you showing up in the store and delaying others.
7. Yes, sometimes they do not answer their phones. The same can be true for your dentist, doctor, insurance provider, plumber, roofer. Do you know why? Because they are busy! That is a good thing for you! When they are busy they will not go out of business like the shop in Tewksbury which was large, empty and full of 3 dudes chatting about what they will buy one day when they will get some dough.
8. Bitch less and whip yourself in a better shape. Be a knowledgeable buyer and appreciate that many guns are sold by Carl BELOW the price suggested by a manufacturer. This is possible because Carl places large orders. Help him to do that!

Some of you remind me the dude from Sebastian Maniscalco's stand up routine "Subway". You do not read anything and you want to chat about the third tomato on the right while others got the routine down and want to just eat.

This may help you:
3. Make sure your paperwork is all set BEFORE you show up in the shop. Carl is inviting you to do that on his web site anyway.
4. When you walk in and you see some people inside, do not get scared. They are not there to kidnap you and trade you for Glock. They are there to get their purchases and get the hell out of there as fast as they can. Do not block their exit way with silly questions!
This is not Mortons Steakhouse where you can drool over a raw meat uninterrupted by your waiter. This is drive thru Dunkin Donuts! Know your donuts and speak clearly when ordering.
5. Realize that this is MA. MA translates into any business language as HELL. Yes, Carl would like to have a bigger space but would you pay more for his rent?
6. Realize that you have to have some responsibility yourself. This is not a place for show and tell and buy nothing. Either you are buying, or you are leaving. Use this forum and many other forums to gain some knowledge PRIOR of you showing up in the store and delaying others.
7. Yes, sometimes they do not answer their phones. The same can be true for your dentist, doctor, insurance provider, plumber, roofer. Do you know why? Because they are busy! That is a good thing for you! When they are busy they will not go out of business like the shop in Tewksbury which was large, empty and full of 3 dudes chatting about what they will buy one day when they will get some dough.
8. Bitch less and whip yourself in a better shape. Be a knowledgeable buyer and appreciate that many guns are sold by Carl BELOW the price suggested by a manufacturer. This is possible because Carl places large orders. Help him to do that!

Nice.....

I didn’t bring it up with him. He’s always in the back. But I’m sure he wouldn’t admit something like that. I just know what I saw on the paper. And I find it extremely hard to believe that the feds just don’t call anymore. I just made another purchase 3 weeks ago at a different FFL. And got called the next day to pick it up.

They had the legion in stock. And they’re close by. So I went for it. It was never my first choice for FFL. it’s too crowded. And filled with DFQ’s. But this was it for me. Far too many other stores in the area.

I posted this up so people are aware.

Googled DFQ, got this:

"Drug-f***ed queen"

Generally used by other gay guys to refer to the really-out-of-it trashy gay guys who partied a bit too hard and are now too out of it to know what's going on.

Four Seasons is an acquired taste. Prices are the best in the state. Availability for popular firearms is high. That drives the crowds. I have NEVER had a bad customer service experience. This is not a shop for small talk during high traffic times. Having said that, if you come during off hours, staff are informed and willing to share what they know. Carl also puts money back into the local shooting community without fanfare. Transfer fees are higher than some, but I never had a problem with an out-of-state transfer. Living close makes this store my first stop. Second on the list is Collectors in Stoneham, another quirky but interesting gun shop.
Shooting supply in Westport has the same or better prices and actually treat you like a person instead of a number, none of the “well, are you going to buy it? If not gtfo”

so I bought a new Sig legion. I get delayed often so when I got delayed it was no big deal. This was 4/11. The guy says “ok you’re delayed. You can pick it up on 4/18” I said yea, if they don’t call. They always call within an hour or the next day. “No they don’t call anymore. They’re super busy.” Not wanting to argue. I thought to my self ooook that’s weird. This must be the only FFL in MA that doesn’t get called. So he says “no news is good news!” Ok great. See ya. So today rolls around. I go to the store to grab my new purchase. A few clicks on the computer. And he prints a sheet. It’s the background check. I glance down at it. Says “PROCEED” with a decision date of 4/12. Lmfao. Just like I said it would be. The next day.
Now I’m pissed. Because every single other FFL calls me to say it’s ready. Now Carl can’t be bothered with delay calls? Oh sorry for spending 1100 bucks. I’ve probably spent 5-7k there. Sorry my delay call is too much of a hassle. Because you’re busy with someone for an hour who’s on the fence about spending $300 on a Ruger.
Being delayed sucks enough. But now you can’t be bothered to call me? I knew it was weird how they said right off the bat the feds don’t call anymore. That’s BS.
And I know Carl’s justification will be ‘well it’s the dealers discretion. I don’t need to call’. That’s fine. I don’t need to go to your store either. Keep your $700 2nd gen glocks. Good day.
Why would they call you when you agreed to go back on the 18th?

Why didnt you call them?

This may help you:
Nailed it.

Why would they call you when you agreed to go back on the 18th?

Why didnt you call them?

Agreed???? have you ever been delayed? They always give you the date when you can pickup if NICS doesnt call. But 99.9% of the time NICS calls. and then you can pickup. There was no agreed upon date. That was the date of expiration for the delay. I didn't call because i dont want to be one of those annoying pencil neck customers that calls everyday. Or has 136 questions about the M&P product line that could all be answered on the S&W website.

Why the hell does everyone complain about the deli-counter tickets?

Aside from "have fewer customers" or "hire more employees", what better options are there?

The deli tickets:
- make sure you don't have to jockey for position
- make sure you get your turn in the right order
- make sure nobody cuts in front of you
- allow you to look around the shop rather than standing in line
- assure you that when your ticket comes up you get the sales guy's undivided attention (because it's your turn)

If a shop is crowded with lots of customers and the wait is long, don't complain about the deli tickets, complain about the crowds.

When the Mass DMV went from "long line you had to stand in" to the current deli-counter style tickets, it was by far the best thing they did for the experience. I *hate* waiting in lines, because of the *line*, not because of the waiting.

If you're bitching about the *waiting*, that's fine, but that's a sign of a successful shop that people want to go to.

Why the hell does everyone complain about the deli-counter tickets?

Aside from "have fewer customers" or "hire more employees", what better options are there?

The deli tickets:
- make sure you don't have to jockey for position
- make sure you get your turn in the right order
- make sure nobody cuts in front of you
- allow you to look around the shop rather than standing in line
- assure you that when your ticket comes up you get the sales guy's undivided attention (because it's your turn)

If a shop is crowded with lots of customers and the wait is long, don't complain about the deli tickets, complain about the crowds.

When the Mass DMV went from "long line you had to stand in" to the current deli-counter style tickets, it was by far the best thing they did for the experience. I *hate* waiting in lines, because of the *line*, not because of the waiting.

If you're bitching about the *waiting*, that's fine, but that's a sign of a successful shop that people want to go to.
You have it half right. The crowds are there because there are people that don't mind waiting around for an hour or more to save $75 to $100 (many cases much less than that actually). That's all fine. He caters to that clientele and more power to him. Those of us here that don't shop at FS are the clinetele that dont see that as a value. We speak are minds about FS to let those that have never shopped there know what to expect. That's all.

Pretty simple actually. I personally have much better things to do than stand around a shop filled to over Max capacity with a ticket waiting for my number to be called. I'm not alone in that opinion. On the other hand.....why do the fs lovers find it so difficult yo understand that folks in my camp just review the shop for how we see it?

You have it half right. The crowds are there because there are people that don't mind waiting around for an hour or more to save $75 to $100 (many cases much less than that actually). That's all fine. He caters to that clientele and more power to him. Those of us here that don't shop at FS are the clinetele that dont see that as a value. We speak are minds about FS to let those that have never shopped there know what to expect. That's all.

Lots of anger...Why all the butt hurt? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom