Tommie gun - new or old?

My husband and I have a decent variety of guns between us. But I really have a burning desire for those "out of the ordinary" pieces.

My current attraction is the Tommy Gun. I love the old, but the new is pretty sexy too. MFS carries the new, but I am always drawn back to authentic. I don't think I'll go wrong either way.

Any experience with the Thompson - new or old?

Last edited:
Unless you are going to spend $25-30k on an original (good luck) definitely get a newer Auto-Ordnance version. The version from West Hurley, NY made during the 70's SUCK!!

Check out the Thompson section on Kahrtalk.com

Aloha

Unless you are going to spend $25-30k on an original (good luck) definitely get a newer Auto-Ordnance version. The version from West Hurley, NY made during the 70's SUCK!!

Check out the Thompson section on Kahrtalk.com

Aloha

Thank you. I will check that out. I've been wanting a machine gun, but know I'd need to jump through hoops to get one in MA. I have seen some for $10k, but most likely the beat to crap options. I did read up on West Hurley. Good to know they suck. I'll check out the new Auto Ordnance version.

I have a 1928 and it's my favorite gun. The machinegun license is easy to impossible to get depending on which city or town you live in. If you decide to apply for a machinegun license, ask the chief if it will be granted or denied before you apply. You don't want a denial on your record

I have a 1928 and it's my favorite gun. The machinegun license is easy to impossible to get depending on which city or town you live in. If you decide to apply for a machinegun license, ask the chief if it will be granted or denied before you apply. You don't want a denial on your record

That's an interesting comment. Where would that denial be tracked?

They're a great addition to any US rifle collection. I went with an Auto Ordnance model and while it seems heavy, it's not too heavy to shoot. Magazines need to be modified slightly to fit. Recoil is almost non existent.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1448110627643.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448110627643.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 148
Get the steel receiver one. Heard alloy ones wear out quick in comparison to steel ones (had a buddy have his reciever replaced twice due to abnormal wear of alloy).

I have the military m1 thompson model and love it. Spend the extra 200 later to sbr it and put correct length 10.5 inch barrel on. Alot better ballance

They're a great addition to any US rifle collection. I went with an Auto Ordnance model and while it seems heavy, it's not too heavy to shoot. Magazines need to be modified slightly to fit. Recoil is almost non existent.

I think I'm sold! Christmas is coming.
btw - nice photo.

Certainly a lot of fun but the trigger pull on the semi autos is tough- 15 pounds or so

I think gerrycaruso is referring to a standard question on many firearms license initial or renewal applications. For example on the Massachusetts Non-Resident Application is the question "13. Has any firearms license issued under the laws of any state or territory ever been suspended, revoked, or denied?  YES  NO." So if you apply for NFA approval from your COP and it is denied then you would have to answer "Yes" to that question.

I think gerrycaruso is referring to a standard question on many firearms license initial or renewal applications. For example on the Massachusetts Non-Resident Application is the question "13. Has any firearms license issued under the laws of any state or territory ever been suspended, revoked, or denied?  YES  NO." So if you apply for NFA approval from your COP and it is denied then you would have to answer "Yes" to that question.

Ah!! Thank you. Totally makes sense.

Get the steel receiver one. Heard alloy ones wear out quick in comparison to steel ones (had a buddy have his reciever replaced twice due to abnormal wear of alloy).

I have the military m1 thompson model and love it. Spend the extra 200 later to sbr it and put correct length 10.5 inch barrel on. Alot better ballance
This. Jack.

I bought a used Auto Ordinance and it is very fun and accurate with surprisingly little recoil. Heavy as hell. I got the military one, and the manual indicates that it doesn't accept drum magazines. In any case the pre-ban drums are very expensive and the MA versions of the drums only hold 10 rounds.

If you thought the gun was heavy(it is) try picking it up with a loaded 50 or 100 round drum. All that weight makes the gun very controllable.

I have had both the standard and the m1 semi auto ord) my feeling was the 27 looked better but it was way too heavy and awkward. The m1 was a ton better.

My suggestion would be to do some searching and find one of the Thompson pistols.
I always found the 16" bbl semis to be really awkward. The upside is that if you go sbr then the bbl is already correct.

Last edited:
All you guys with Thompsons should get down to Copicut Rifle Association. We run American Zoot shoots from April to November. It's a three gun match. Generally a Thompson, 1911 and a pump shotgun.

When you SBR'd it, did you simply have a factory 10.5" barrel installed? If so, was there a need to engrave the gun with the manufacturer of the SBR, or since it was all factory, were the original marking sufficient (i.e. did it become an Auto Ordnance SBR)?

You have to engrave name or initials on it. But can be done on underside of receiver nose where won't be really seen unless turn gun upside down. Existing markings remain intact.

Used to be able to but a NOS USGI thompson 10.5 inch barrel to install on it, but kahr for unknown douche reasons changed the thread pattern so they won't just screw on. Still can be done in believe, just takes a Lil extra work

Back
Top Bottom