Tommie gun - new or old?

Wouldn't SBRing minimize the accuracy and take away from the visual appeal?

For many of us, having the 16" barrel ruins the visual appeal. The Tommy Gun was designed with a 10.5" barrel. That's one of the reasons that I haven't ended up with one yet. The wife knows that as soon as I've got one, I'm going to SBR it!

Aloha

If the idea is ultimately to sbr.. It is going to be a real lot cheaper to just add a stock onto the pistol.

And the interim, you have something that actually looks like a Thompson..

If the idea is ultimately to sbr.. It is going to be a real lot cheaper to just add a stock onto the pistol.

And the interim, you have something that actually looks like a Thompson..

I was under the impression that the pistol versions are not set up to accept a stock.

No..

IMO semi versions of smgs with 16+ bbl look ridiculous.

Every time I look at my Thompson M1A1, my Uzi, even my AMD65, I think... sure would be neat with the correct length barrel. Especially since the Uzi and AMD are easy to do. Problem is I can't bring myself to go through the SBR process and prices.

I have the new Auto Ordnance Tommy. Great gun no problems

This^

I have a newer one, they're actually made locally right in Worcester, Mass.

Unless you are going to spend $25-30k on an original (good luck) definitely get a newer Auto-Ordnance version. The version from West Hurley, NY made during the 70's SUCK!!

This^

Magazines need to be modified slightly to fit.

Correct.
Original SMG stick mags need to have the hole for the mag catch slightly elongated with a Dremel to properly lock into place.

Get the steel receiver one. Heard alloy ones wear out quick in comparison to steel ones (had a buddy have his reciever replaced twice due to abnormal wear of alloy).

I've heard the same thing many times.

I got the military one (M1), and the manual indicates that it doesn't accept drum magazines. In any case the pre-ban drums are very expensive and the MA versions of the drums only hold 10 rounds.

This^
The M1 version has a horizontal forend and side cocking handle, drums only fit on the top cocking models such as the A1 and A5.

I was under the impression that the pistol versions are not set up to accept a stock.

That's correct, they changed the receiver design to prevent addition of a stock on the 1927A5 version.
They also changed the receiver design on the 1927A1 (rifle) version so the stock is not quickly removable without tools, such as on the original.

Last edited:
Wouldn't SBRing minimize the accuracy and take away from the visual appeal?

People often confuse barrel length with accuracy . Taking sight radius out of the picture.

A short thick barrel is more accurate then a long thin barrel. A longer barrel needs to be thicker then a short version . This has todo with barrel whip, barrel harmonics etc .

The key is to have a barrel that is long enough to stabilize the bullet. Once you have that length any longer you just gain velocity . But after a certain point having long barrel can start to bring velocity back down do to friction .

When you include sight radius . If you take a short barrel and a long barrel that are equal with stiffness for there given length the longer barrel for most gun designs allows a longer sight radius which helps the shooter with accuracy. But if you bolted both guns to a table taking the shooter out of the equation they would shoot the same size groups.

For many of us, having the 16" barrel ruins the visual appeal. The Tommy Gun was designed with a 10.5" barrel. That's one of the reasons that I haven't ended up with one yet. The wife knows that as soon as I've got one, I'm going to SBR it!

Aloha

Point taken. As I originally pointed out, I would love an original. But I also like the look of the new Auto Ordinance. If I got a new semi auto, I wouldn't monkey around with it. It looks nice as is, (imho).

Class three dealer here in Oregon has one that was built by Paws on a 1928 kit. You have to know the difference to see the difference in it and an original 28. Gun is way cool, not sure of the price but think it's about $17,000. I like the M1 better as the firing pin system is safer to run than a M1A. Guns are heavy but run well and are very accurate. You can't go wrong buying one as the value keeps going up.

Back
Top Bottom