• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tone programming problem

one-eyed Jack

Manufacturer
Maybe it's just me. I've had this Icom IC-V8000 2M radio for many years. Had two of them till the mobile one shit the bed. Have programmed countless repeaters into both of them. Now I notice that I can't hit the Waltham machine (146.640, PL 136.5). Can hear it fine. Doug out the manual and have been trying to put the PL in using both the radio and mic controls using both the VFO and memory channel. The - shows, but no tone thingy. ( 136.5 shows initially when I put it in but then drops out when I exit) no matter what I do. No issue with all the other repeaters, just this one. Waltham shows it as being "open". Has been OK in the past, not anymore. Radio problem with just this one repeater or old age (me)? Jack. W1FKG. Note. If I missed a stupid simple thing, pls call me at 978-263-9177 (Acton).

Last edited:
... I've had this Icom IC-V8000 2M radio for many years. ... Have programmed countless repeaters into both of them. Now I notice that I can't hit the Waltham machine (146.640, PL 136.5). Can hear it fine.
How long has the base rig been dormant?

W1MHL/R/2m/FM Waltham started out with no P/L.

Then as recently as 9-Aug'08 ("only" 13 year ago),
it had a tone of 100.0Hz.

Now it has a tone of 136.5Hz.

But if you programmed it more than a dozen years ago,
and are somehow still using the 100.0Hz
that you might have saved in a channel memory;
then you might not be able to wake up the repeater
because you're actually sending the wrong tone.

Yet if your rig was set up for only transmit tone - not tone squelch,
you might still able to hear it even while sending the wrong tone,
because the rig isn't listening for a tone.

Some assumptions behind the above are my experience with Yaesu's that you can:
  1. Bring up a channel memory.
  2. Change a parameter (
    1. The tone.
    2. No tone/transmit tone/transmit and squelch tone.
    3. Simplex/positive offset/negative offset.
    4. How much offset (600KHz, 5MHz, custom offset).
  3. ), which puts the modified parameters into a scratchpad VFO - not the memory slot.
  4. Momentarily select a (different) memory slot, and then back again.
  5. Your changes in the scratchpad VFO are lost:
    1. They are not written to the memory slot.
    2. You're not looking at the scratchpad VFO.

This is particularly easy to screw yourself with when people are screaming at you
at the start of a public service event when you have programmed the wrong settings at home:
  • You think you've fixed it in the field:
  • It works,
  • You QSY to a different channel,
  • You QSY back,
  • Your field patches have disappeared.
  • WTAF?
So when "fixing" a memory, you have to go very slow and follow the manual to a T.

And don't rush and do a short-bump on a button
when the manual calls for a long-lean on the button,
or vice versa.

All the rigs with pushbutton panels overload short vs. long push,
and it's wicked easy to blow it if you do a rush job.

I may never have even seen a V-8000 in the wild.
I'm jus' sayin' these are easy ways to fail.

Thanks, Allan. That solves one mystery. MANY years ago I programmed about 100 memory channels into the rig and made a chart showing the freq. and tones. I now noticed that Waltham machine has no tone listed. Till now I thought that I had just forgotten to note it. So, it looks like I did that back when the repeater had no tone. I'll go back to work on it starting with a new memory channel # and delete the existing one. According to the manual, I can do it all with the mic. buttons. If no luck I can fall back on the radio controls. I also remember working the repeater from the other rig in the mobile. I just can't remember what I did yesterday! Thanks again. Jack.

Last edited:
... That solves one mystery. MANY years ago I programmed about 100 memory channels into the rig and made a chart showing the freq. and tones. I now noticed that Waltham machine has no tone listed. Till now I thought that I had just forgotten to note it. So, it looks like I did that back when the repeater had no tone. I'll go back to work on it starting with a new memory channel # and delete the existing one. ...
I hope that cinches it. It's just an edumacated guess.

I know I'm getting less and less tolerant of manuals as I get older.

But if the memory slot number was at all, er, memorable for me,
it'd kill me to not be able to reuse the slot.
So since maybe you have to go at it carefully to program a new slot
reliably, go at it extra carefully and maybe you can reuse the old slot
after you delete it.

(Not gonna troll you to "edit" the existing slot contents.
Even if it can be done, you could end up one step forwards
and two steps back).

Right. I'll delete and try the old slot first since I have a bunch of channels memorized. Still working from home, things are quiet at the Mill, so I'll be able to devote time to this project. (Days from 9:00 to 5:00). And weekends. LOL. Also if you have time to kill, stop by here sometime and I'll show you a home brew antenna rotor system, the likes of which you'll never see again. And you can meet Megan. Jack.

Right. I'll delete and try the old slot first since I have a bunch of channels memorized. Still working from home, things are quiet at the Mill, so I'll be able to devote time to this project. (Days from 9:00 to 5:00). And weekends. LOL.
Just be glad you don't have Copious Free Time.

Also if you have time to kill, stop by here sometime and I'll show you a home brew antenna rotor system, the likes of which you'll never see again. And you can meet Megan. Jack.
Most kind.

I just rolodexed your home QTH into my contacts,
so Waze knows how to get there.

And if your historical landline number remains valid,
I can phone ahead on whatever day I'm out and about.

I've also got the C-L Properties Worldwide HQ number.

73's/GL

Also lorenzjack6 @ gmail.com. 978-486-8975 is the office # at the Mill. Is still valid. Any voice mails left there can be retrieved by me here at home. Jack. That # somehow gets on sites where it shouldn't. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom