• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Took the AC556 out today (video)

Neat! Looks like it has almost no recoil; you seemed to keep it on target fairly well.

Looks like it has almost no recoil; you seemed to keep it on target fairly well.

its funny... shooting full auto doing mag dumps is actually pretty easy controllability wise. Stance and leaning into it do all the work for you for the most part. Keeping all the rounds on the paper is another story though... ha ha [smile]

When you can change calibers, barrel lengths, use almost "any" mag, do mulitiple Beta dumps with it...let me know maybe I'll get one ;-)

Of course its still fun...

ha ha... I know your right on that part Securityboy. See guys.... Securityboy and I have this little debate on other gun forums too..... He just cant seem to admit that the Ruger is a superior weapons system... ha ha... oh boy now I started it. [laugh]

no in all actuality... he is 100% right. The rugers cant handle mag dump after mag dump because the barrels on them are not heavy nor are they chrome lined or made for military style suppresive, automatic fire. This weapons system was made for PDs or smaller units that may need to get a few mags of auto fire downrange. The AC556 was a big SWAT, Police gun of the 80s but you dont see them too much anymore. You still see its brother the mini 14 in various agencies but not too much with the AC. The ACs are also not as easy to change barrels whereas the M16s are as simple as throwing a new upper on them. Parts are everywhere for the ARs / 16s and while you can find parts for the Rugers its not as easy. Plus as of about a year ago Ruger no longer works on the ACs because they are out of parts seeing as the weapon was discontinued since 04. I lucked out and found a complete parts kit for mine to include the barrel and had Ruger do a complete tune up on it for FREE last year before they ran out of parts but not everyone is that lucky. Plus the 16s are not as picky as the rugers with magazines.

either way I love my M16 but I would never get rid of my Ruger.

Rob

Last edited:
This is the only F/A gun that I ever wanted to shoot. Back when my friendly chief was alive, he bought one for the PD. As much as I know he would have let me take it to the range, I was a BOD member of that club and shooting it there was a violation of the rules, so I just couldn't do it and never asked him. I assisted the current chief in getting rid of the AC and 2 other smgs to outfit the troops with M4s a number of years ago.

I'm impressed that it is that controllable. The S&W 76 they had us shoot was a "sky climber"!

yeah your right Len it is very controlable. But again no matter what MG you shoot leaning into it is the key and thats the same with the S&W76. You can dump a full 30rd mag from that weapon system with one pull and keep it down as long as you have the proper stance (modified Icocolese for me) and bend forward at the waist and lean into it.

Rob

Technique is the name of the game with just about any handheld F/A weapon. The first time that I fired a Glock 18 was...embarassing. It ran away on me (I put some rounds into the ceiling) but after calming down and taking some advice I was finally able to keep the shots on paper. It ain't like the movies...

yeah your right Len it is very controlable. But again no matter what MG you shoot leaning into it is the key and thats the same with the S&W76. You can dump a full 30rd mag from that weapon system with one pull and keep it down as long as you have the proper stance (modified Icocolese for me) and bend forward at the waist and lean into it.

Rob

Technique is the name of the game with just about any handheld F/A weapon. The first time that I fired a Glock 18 was...embarassing. It ran away on me (I put some rounds into the ceiling) but after calming down and taking some advice I was finally able to keep the shots on paper. It ain't like the movies...

Well, they skipped that part of the training when they had us (PD) out with the F/A S&W 76! [shocked] [thinking] I know that rounds went over the berm . . . and there are houses and a busy road behind there. This was a very long time ago and there was no "fall out" from that outing, but nevertheless as a BOD member at that club and trying to be a responsible shooter/citizen I was not a happy camper.

Almost picked one ( ac556 folder ) up back in the day, when I was offered one for $1600. Still regret not grabbing it then. Always liked them.

Back
Top Bottom