Topping off an M&P?

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a S&W M&P 9mm Range and Carry Kit. So, I've got the MA 10+ lbs trigger and 10 round magazines. I can't top off my pistol by chambering a round and refilling the mag.

If I have a round in the chamber, the magazine will not click back in and sticks out maybe 1/4". Could it be because the springs on the mags are still super tight (near impossible to get the 10th round in)? Or is this some "high capacity" thing that might make that count as 11 rounds?

Thanks!

First - get your trigger fixed, or do it yourself...(Apex tactical DACEK).

Secondly, I have heard that the newer 10rd magazines can be impossibly difficult to fill to capacity. I have the older 10rd mags and they were tight, but not too bad. There are some folks who are clipping the springs, but others are modifying the follower. Again, the followers are newer and I understand that's where the problem is. I guess you could say it's a "high capacity thing" to a degree. S&W may go a bit overboard on springs to ensure they are 10 and not 11 round magazines. They've got enough trouble on their hands....Anyway, here's a vid from this very site:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...video-on-modifying-M-amp-P-magazine-followers

If you didn't hurt your hand when trying to slam the mag back in you could most likely hit it harder. It may need the "file job" but even still give it a real good whack.

If you didn't hurt your hand when trying to slam the mag back in you could most likely hit it harder. It may need the "file job" but even still give it a real good whack.

That might be it, I'm definitely still in the "I don't want to some how break it and ruin it" phase of ownership. I'm looking into getting the trigger fixed too. Are there any recommendations on people to fix it? I know Greg Derr is popular, so I'll look into having him do it. Any idea of turnaround?

Mike-Mike I agree you should be slamming it home. However, I found out the hard way that even the new 10-round 40 mags have this problem. I had two with old followers and 6 with the new ones. I had three failures to seat the mag during my last USPSA match. I've had the mags loaded for 6 months and I still had to trim the followers AND remove a coil off the spring. Even after the modifications they don't seat as reliably as the old follower ones.

Gregg Durr did a great job on my m&p 40c trigger is smooth half the weight as well as reset, follow up shots are actually a possibility now! Quick turn around also

Mike-Mike I agree you should be slamming it home. However, I found out the hard way that even the new 10-round 40 mags have this problem. I had two with old followers and 6 with the new ones. I had three failures to seat the mag during my last USPSA match. I've had the mags loaded for 6 months and I still had to trim the followers AND remove a coil off the spring. Even after the modifications they don't seat as reliably as the old follower ones.

Yes, I agree they need the mod to make them work even close to the way they should, but I have never seen an M&P that I couldn't get the mags to seat at all after a good beaten!

Yes, I agree they need the mod to make them work even close to the way they should, but I have never seen an M&P that I couldn't get the mags to seat at all after a good beaten!

So, I'm sure I could have done that if I really wanted to risk FTF or double feed or something else. These springs and followers were not going to let me do that without somehow breaking something... They were that bad.

Fill them to capacity and store them away. They should be good to go after a while. I have some of the old ones and they were tight as heck at first. Now they seat nicely with a closed slide and one of them almost took and 11th round last week. [shocked] Good thing it couldn't quite go in or the mag would have been all "killy" and stuff. [wink]

Fill them to capacity and store them away. They should be good to go after a while. I have some of the old ones and they were tight as heck at first. Now they seat nicely with a closed slide and one of them almost took and 11th round last week. [shocked] Good thing it couldn't quite go in or the mag would have been all "killy" and stuff. [wink]

With the old followers this will work. With the new followers you'll wait an eternity. They need to be modified to work.

My 9mm M&P mags simply wouldn't seat with the slide closed. Careful examination identified the follower as the culprit. Trimming this part and cutting one coil off the mag spring solved the problem and the mags have been reliable for several years. When I first encountered the problem I called S&W for help; they told me I had the "new and improved" mags. Way to go, S&W!

PS You can install a non MA "free state" trigger return spring for $2.75 and cut your trigger pull in half.

Back
Top Bottom