• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Topton Rifle Match review

I went to the rifle match in Topton PA. Great match, a good combination of different kinds of shooting, some up close fast shots, some longer shots out to 200 yards, a lot of kneeling and prone shooting. A couple of drop turners and a swinger. It was a good test of all skills. It was scored as time down. 1s for a C, 2 for a D 10s for a Miss. I never liked this scoring. Its easy and fast to score and keep track of a match, but it really takes away from the shooting speed. the penalties are just to huge to really push the speed.

I shot Tac-ops for the first time. Shooting a Burris XTR 1-4x Great scope, huge field of view and with a drop reticle, it makes shots at distance easy. With the scope on 1x, you can shoot both eyes open, almost as fast as with a red dot. But here is where I ran into a problem. The dot is not as bright as a normal red dot and there reticule is a little cluttered making holder overs harder at speed. When I normal shoot with a dot, I see it in my periphery, I see it there but I'm not looking at it, I just know that it is where it should be on the target. Its how I shoot with a pistol, so it an ingrained habit. With the scope. I wasn't able to do that, I had to concentrate on the reticule, then think about holder over. This really killed me on the faster stages. For me, this jut doesn't work, I just can not transition smoothly from target to target while holding higher than my POI. When I do push the speed, I lose the hold over and get killed on points

So I have 2 options, one is that I could spend the winter training with the scope to learn how to shoot it correctly. Or I can put the 2nd red dot back on and get back in Open division where I belong. I think I know where I'll end up.

Here is a video of some of the stages

Last edited by a moderator:
not to shabby Mike, i agree with you, time plus scoring is stupid. It isn't an accurate result of one's ability because the penalty for time down is excessive, you mention a full second for a C in this one, that's ridiculous. You can't possibly take that long shooting another shot on a target. Like seriously, someone shooting all A's in 20 seconds would score the same as someone shooting all C's in 10 seconds? thats just silly.

They run the scoring because it's fast. The don't use USPSA rules because of round count limitations, and other restrictions that the outlaw matches don't have. Such as the stage with all the reloads.
Mike, work with the scope. You came in 10th and will get almost as much as the Open winner. Open is like shooting revolver in a pistol match, just not much participation.

They run the scoring because it's fast. The don't use USPSA rules because of round count limitations, and other restrictions that the outlaw matches don't have. Such as the stage with all the reloads.
Mike, work with the scope. You came in 10th and will get almost as much as the Open winner. Open is like shooting revolver in a pistol match, just not much participation.

They should use IMGA rules, so I can hose. [smile] Some of my stage times were doubled because I would shoot 2 Cs just below the A zone. Its easier to blame the scoring system than myself for not knowing my hold over.[wink]

I'll throw the Burris on the Nordic upper and practice with it over the winter. Watching the videos, I also need to work on my barricade shooting and off hand distance shots.

The scoring system is the same for everyone at the match. Robbie once said in an interview that everyone starts the match the same, the shooter that screws up the least wins![wink]
RGS has the Burris TAC 30. Ask him to bring it to New Bedford for a look see at it. The reticle is slightly different, and might be brighter.

Last edited:
Nice shooting Mike, the bay for that 1st stage looks like the old pin shooting bay (mental drift for a moment thank you.........)

So any more vid's coming our way ?

The scoring system is the same for everyone at the match. Robbie once said in an interview that everyone starts the match the same, the shooter that screws up the least wins![wink]
RGS has the Burris TAC 30. Ask him to bring it to New Bedford for a look see at it. The reticle is slightly different, and might be brighter.

I have looked at that scopes, looks nice for the money. I might have to give one a try... I'll contact RGS

Nice shooting Mike, the bay for that 1st stage looks like the old pin shooting bay (mental drift for a moment thank you.........)

So any more vid's coming our way ?

No more videos, I didn't tape the long range stages and the missed getting the fun stage with the drop turners and swinger

I have looked at that scopes, looks nice for the money. I might have to give one a try... I'll contact RGS

I Like the XTR better than the TAC 30. My eyes don't see the little hash marks clear enough. If I am going to use it as a dot, I may as well use my Trijicon reflex

If you want to see it, I will have it in the car

Are there any of these types of matches in the Massachusetts area? I'd love to watch one up close and personal. I've only been competing in CMP/NRA service rifle matches, and that video looks like fun.

This is true. Last time I was attacked by a gang of limbless paralyzed Mexicans or had to make head shots on bald albinos, I had all the time in the world to make the shots. [grin]

You mean the reality where you actually need to hit something important and not just a couple of shots wherever as fast as you can?

You mean the reality where you actually need to hit something important and not just a couple of shots wherever as fast as you can?

I mean the reality where I am trying to shoot "A"s as fast as I can, but am not always successful. Not some delusion where I think its anything other than a game

Back
Top Bottom