Totaly Concealed

I recently got my class A unrestricted and bought a Ruger SR9C. I have one of those small of the back holsters to carry as that felt most comfortable. I am worried that someone may be able to "make out" a lump in my back or just recognise the holster clip that shows in the back if my shirt rides up. I have read that in some instances, being seen carrying can be considered as brandishing and am looking for a better way to carry.
Thanks for any insight as I am still learning to be a smart gun owner.

I think you'll hear a lot of folks talk about the need for a good holster and a good belt.

I'm a fan of Milt Sparks IWB holsters. Really well built, comfortable and they hide very well. They are expensive too...

There are other fine choices too. Enjoy!!!

Don't carry on the small of your back.

Try to draw while on the ground.

Try to draw while seated on a chair/car seat/etc.

Try to draw while someone is behind you and is trying to put you in a choke.

Move the gun to your side or to the front (appendix carry).

Stop worrying about someone seeing a lump or a clip. Nobody will.

Stop worrying about someone seeing a lump or a clip. Nobody will.

this:

as for carry method, i agree with Jose. Small of the Back is right up there with ankle and off the body carry to me...

inside the waist (strong side) or pocket carry are preferred methods... secondary is outside the waist, strong side (usually at the range)

Everyone has a holster on their belt for Blackberries or other large phones these days anyway. I dont think most people give a small lump on under a shirt a second look.

I tried that position for a bit and it didn't work well. It dug into my back when sitting and bounced around too much when walking.

Try 3:00.

If your holster is adjustable (tilt angle and ride height), adjust it so the gun tilts forward and rides higher on your body. I found this to be the most comfortable (3:00, forward cant, high ride). The forward tilt puts the entire profile of the gun with the profile of my body (no grip extending past my lower back if you were to look at me from the side) and the high ride height clears the grip from your waistline allowing you to get a much more positive grip should you need to draw it.

In general people are oblivious.

Way Oblivious, Everyone is concscious of their carry piece when they first start to carry, but its in your head. Once I became more comfortable carrying, as an experiment I went out wearing my carry piece (sigp229) in a blackhawk serpa covered by only a t-shirt. It was covered but there was a prominent bulge, and if anyone noticed I could not tell, no eyes drifting to my right hip or anything. I recommend a well supported IWB holster, and just chillax a bit.

Most people won't notice anything at all. Personally, I like the 3:45 position on the strong side, OWB holster. If you shirt has a pattern it will also help with concealment.

You could seriously sprain your wrist trying to unholster a gun at the small of the back!

[laugh]

IWB strong side ~3:30 is what I carry on the daily. You will eventually get comfortable with your concealed firearm. It takes a little time though. As the others stated, the majority of other civilians you encounter on a regular basis are completely clueless as to what's under your shirt/jacket/vest or whatever. When I first started carrying I was constantly plucking at the bottom of my shirt strong side to make sure it hadn't rode up and stuck behind the grip.

I've been carrying for 10 years and have yet to "make" anyone carrying concealed. And I look for it where ever I go.

S&W M&P9 (the full size, not the compact) in a FIST #20 IWB at 3:30 RH side. Belt is a purpose built leather gun belt. Shirt has been cut squared and hemmed at the bottom to look more presentable when worn untucked, size large (I am 5'9" and 185 lbs). I can walk around all day, anywhere I want to, and unless I pass through a metal detector or someone touches the exact spot where the gun is, nobody will know it is there unless I draw.

DSC01148.jpg

DSC01149.jpg

DSC01150.jpg

When I first got my LTC, I started carrying a Glock 22 (service-size gun) in an old nylon duty holster at 2 o'clock. I draped a shirt over it, no one ever said a thing. Then I got a fobus paddle holster for it, started carrying that at 3 o'clock, and no one noticed. It doesn't take much to 'totally conceal' a firearm.

I sometimes use a belly band holster - works well for the times that I have to have a shirt tucked in. I can also adjust it so that it becomes a chest band holster with the gun positioned under the arm. (i know, not ideal for a draw )

My favorite carry is MOB and I carry big pistols there. The draw is similar to a IWB strong side draw and the difference in location of the pistol grip for large handguns on me is about 2". MOB: Gun is at 6 o'clock, but grip is at 5 o'clock. IWB: Gun is at 4 o'clock, grip is at 4 o'clock.
  • Instant lumbar support when sitting
  • Driving in a car requires that you just lean forward and put your chest to the steering wheel (quickly) and you can draw easily
  • On the ground draw would require a slight tilt to the weak side to access the pistol
  • Choke hold draw would require you to arch your back slightly or bump the holder back with your butt to draw. Stomping hard on their foot will also get you access to the pistol.
  • Only been "outed" once when a "too short" sweatshirt rode up when I stood up from sitting. Aways wear a long enough shirt so it doesn't ride up when standing from sitting. I like golf shirts and Hawiian shirts or large/long sweatshirts.
  • Nobody notices the "lumps". Be careful bending over to pick things up. Squat rather than bend.
  • Practice in the mirror with bends, stretching, picking up, etc. and see what works to keep the gun concealed.

My thoughts only.

Last edited:
CCW noob here. I've noticed the same thing. People are oblivious and don't notice the not so obvious; sometimes even the very obvious. I have only had my unrestricted LTC for a few weeks and I still feel a little apprehensive carrying, but I'm feeling more confident as time goes on.

Milt sparks IWB holster with my G26 about 3:30-4 o'clock is very comfortable and hides well.

A thin gun like the SR9 will likely disappear IWB at 3 or 3:30, once you get used to it. I wear untucked polo shirts, and the very thick Sig P229 still works fine at 3:00 so long as the shirt actually fits and isn't one size too small.

And, at 3:30, you can still look down and see that it's covered, if that's a mental tick you haven't gotten rid of.

I wear untucked polo shirts pretty much every day along with some loose fitting tshirts and using a Crossbreed I can easily conceal a Glock 19 or my full size 1911. Trust me no one notices or cares about that little bulge. After a couple weeks you'll forget the gun is even there. Be smart and safe.

I think you'll hear a lot of folks talk about the need for a good holster and a good belt.

I'm a fan of Milt Sparks IWB holsters. Really well built, comfortable and they hide very well. They are expensive too...

There are other fine choices too. Enjoy!!!

Also take a long time between order date and delivery date. Fully agree however!

Everyone has a holster on their belt for Blackberries or other large phones these days anyway. I dont think most people give a small lump on under a shirt a second look.

Yup, my NES Freedom flashlight sticks out the most, with this roundish thing "printing" on any T-shirt I wear. Then the cellphone case . . .

Never had anyone ask about these oddball shapes sticking out. I'm convinced that you could carry an RPG slung on your shoulder and 99% of people around you wouldn't even notice! [thinking]

In general people are oblivious.

They are.

I carry a full size SR9 in a Don Hume H721 O.T. In the summer with only a loose fitting polo I carry in the 3:00 position. No one has ever said a word, nor have I gotten any looks. In the winter I can get away with carrying at 3:30/4:00 due to the fact that I always am wearing a fleece. My gun still prints slightly (the bottom of the gun). However, I have found that dark clothing (black, dark blue) better obscures the printing.

+1 for the Croosbreed holster. Extremely comfortable, all day wear and never even think about it. You can even tuck your shirt in and no one will ever notice.

What about those of us who are just giant fat a$$e$? I wear 42 or 44 waist and longish shirts. Is IWB still an option or are there specific holsters that work for us larger than average types? Or, do you go up on size to accommodate the holster?

I am also large and in charge and have no issue with crossbreed holsters. In fact it makes it easier to conceal stuff in my opinion.

This. I think only people carrying themselves tend to scan other people's waistbands for firearms.

I know I do. People must be thinking I'm checking out their ass/crotch because my first look is at someone's face then their belt line. For the women folk it's not unnatural. For the men..uh..

I've been carrying for a long time and the only times I feel like I may get made is at a place were I might get hugged or something. Wedding, funeral. In that case I pocket carry something significantly smaller.

Anywho... I find 3:30 or 4:00 with an MTAC very comfortable and easily conceals my various flavor carry Sigs. Shirt tucked in. No lump since the shirt naturally has a bit more fabric in that area.

Don't sweat it but don't be careless. Carry around the house for a few days and do stuff. Don't fuss with the holster or gun or shirt. Check yourself out now and again to see if anything shows and to get used to the feeling of a thing on your hip.

YMMV

What about those of us who are just giant fat a$$e$? I wear 42 or 44 waist and longish shirts. Is IWB still an option or are there specific holsters that work for us larger than average types? Or, do you go up on size to accommodate the holster?
EVERYONE has to go up one size to accomodate a pistol IWB. It doesn't matter if you are fat or not.

If you are so fat that your tire will roll over the pistol IWB, it will do so over a pistol worn OWB too.

Don't sweat it but don't be careless.
YMMV

This is my main complaint with full size and thick guns like the Sig. Without a real cover garment (ie, with only a polo shirt), you do have to be careful to avoid bending and stretching in certain ways.

I guess some people just avoid bending and stretching altogether, but that's not an option for me.

Back
Top Bottom