• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tourniquets- Finally some common sense!

johnnymac101

NES Member
There's an active EDC thread going on (link), maybe add a life saving tourniquet!
I always carry Patrol Officer's Pocket Trauma Kit (includes tourniquet and z-pak dressing) just in case!
Finally, some good advice about saving lives!
http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2015/10/tourniquet-first-aid-david-king

As Mass Shootings Become More Common, A Push To Make Tourniquets Routine First Aid

BRAINTREE, Mass. CPR and the Heimlich maneuver are routine first aid. Look around schools, libraries, concert halls and many gyms and you’ll see a heart defibrillator ready for action.
Now, as we face more mass shootings and other disasters, should tourniquets, used to stop severe bleeding, be just as common?
The White House says yes; it’s rolling out a national campaign called “Stop the Bleed.” Last week, the American Red Cross and American Heart Association updated first aid guidelines to include bleeding control and the use of tourniquets. And the Red Cross expects to add bleeding control to its online and in-person trainings in the coming months.
But one Boston surgeon isn’t waiting.

‘It’s The Reality In Which We Live’
“Step one, you apply direct pressure,” Dr. David King tells a dozen nurses from Catholic schools in the Boston Archdiocese, gripping his right forearm to demonstrate. The nurses, all women, have gathered at the church headquarters in Braintree to learn what they can do to stop severe bleeding. King, a trauma surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital, moves quickly to step two.
If pressure doesn’t stop the flow of blood, pack the wound tight. Use specially treated blood clotting gauze if you have it, King says. If not, a T-shirt will do.

“You’ll see in 10 seconds whether that’s worked or not. If it doesn’t, what’s the next step and the final step?” King asks, looking from one face to the next. “It’s to put a tourniquet on, right?”
King grabs a handful of black plastic straps with Velcro on one side, a double buckle at one end and a small black stick the nurses would twist on the tourniquet to clamp blood vessels shut, if needed. King would like to see a tourniquet in every classroom, mall, train station — in any public place. His conviction is rooted in 14 years as an Army combat surgeon, and the 2013 Boston Marathon, which he ran. He finished before the blasts and was at MGH to meet the flood of wounded patients who came pouring in.

“After the Boston Marathon bombing, my military experience just started making me think that this is an exportable skill that we can teach anybody,” King said of applying pressure, packing wounds and using tourniquets. “It’s unfortunate that we have to be teaching teachers how to do this, but it’s the reality in which we live.”

Finding Extra Minutes
King is part of a national advisory group that recommends all Americans be prepared to act as immediate responders. Two weeks ago, the White House and the Department of Homeland Security embraced that idea with the “Stop the Bleed” campaign.

“Five minutes can make the difference between life and death,” Deputy Homeland Security Adviser Amy Pope said at the campaign launch, about how quickly someone injured in a shooting, bomb blast, tornado or train accident can bleed to death.
“We want to make sure more people can survive a severe injury,” Pope continued, “that more people will have more than five minutes, more time to be treated and seen by a professional, more time to live.”

The campaign plans public education announcements and widespread access to bleeding control kits with tourniquets.
The Red Cross’s decision to update its first aid update guidelines is in response to the national campaign.
“The Red Cross feels that every American needs to know how to care for someone who has massive, life threatening bleeding,” said Jonathan Epstein, senior director of science and content for the American Red Cross. “Recent incidents at schools and malls, the Boston Marathon, are all situations that have pushed health care and emergency medicine to make sure that citizens can respond in an emergency.”
Dr. King wrote his own script and is scheduling his own trainings.

Empowered To Save A Life
The Catholic school nurses gathered for the training break into small groups and practice threading and tightening a tourniquet on themselves. Then, with King watching, they test the tourniquet on a tube-shaped pillow that King has wrapped in black duct tape. It’s about the size and density of someone’s thigh.

“Wait a minute, I’m stuck,” says Elizabeth Paquette, the nurse at Malden Catholic High School, looking perplexed.
Threading the buckle twice for maximum tension, and then pulling the strap hard enough to close off bleeding completely, is hard. King has some tips.
“I put my hand on the leg,” he says, demonstrating, “I push [the leg] away from me, while I pull the free end [of the tourniquet] towards me.”
Theresa Hartel, the nurse at Boston College High School, takes a turn. She leans into the dummy thigh and then yanks back with a mighty pull.
“Oh, go Theresa,” her fellow nurses yell, “that’s what we were missing.”

Hartel twists the little black bar or windlass on the tourniquet to increase the tension.
“Wow, Theresa,” says Bridget Jaklitsch, the nurse at St. Francis Xavier in South Weymouth.
“He’s not bleeding anymore,” Paquette announces.
Jaklitsch says she is disturbed to think school nurses need this training, but she wants to be prepared.

“As nurses we are first responders, whether it be at school or a marathon. I was there the day of the Boston Marathon,” Jaklitsch says. “Anytime there’s an emergency, we react. To have the knowledge about how to put on a tourniquet, I’m thrilled that Dr. King was here today to teach us that.”
King grins watching nurses master this new first aid skill, even if it is in response to a grim reality.

“You can talk about preventing these incidents and that’s a move for the legislature and us as voters,” King says, “but that may take months or years or may never happen. I’m going to leave this teaching session today with a group of empowered nurses who now know what to do tomorrow. It doesn’t take an act of Congress. It took us 30 minutes on a Wednesday afternoon and they’re empowered to save a life now.” Empowered with a skill these women hope they’ll never need to use.

"they’re empowered to save a life now.” Empowered with a skill these women hope they’ll never need to use."

Maybe they would be less likely to need these skills if you eliminated gun free zones and posted police at schools. I don't know. Just a thought.

Unless Ma has a good Samaritan law I'd be leery on try emergency first aid.
Yeah I know that may be the attitude these days but who wants to aid someone in distress that even though you may have saved their life they will turn around and sue you for all your worth.

Yeah I know that may be the attitude these days but who wants to aid someone in distress that even though you may have saved their life they will turn around and sue you for all your worth.

Simple, just add a sheaf of legal waivers to your EDC kit.

"Are you choking? Would you like me to help you? Would you mind signing these forms first?"

Aren't they just recognizing things which hard-core preppers have known for a long time?

YOU are the first responder.

Triangular_Bandages_big-281x300.jpg

Folded up

+

53.jpg

as a windlass

After watching a guy die at work (Massive heart attack, nothing could have saved him) I started carrying a small kit in my jacket with gloves, gauze pads, tape, aspirin, and a triangle bandage, along with the scissors attached on the back. Started to look at tourniquets, but decided the bandage was more useful for my needs, and I could do the same thing with it and the scissors.

Last edited:

MA does have a good Samaritan law - or at least I am continually told so in the first aid classes I've had to take at work.

MA does have a good Samaritan law - or at least I am continually told so in the first aid classes I've had to take at work.

MGL Chapter 112 Section 12V

Section 12V. Any person who, in good faith, attempts to render emergency care including, but not limited to, cardiopulmonary resuscitation or defibrillation, and does so without compensation, shall not be liable for acts or omissions, other than gross negligence or willful or wanton misconduct, resulting from the attempt to render such emergency care.

I love the item posted above me for air way. Sure, people of NES, buy that thing and think you can use that [rofl]

or read the website
Results: One thousand surveys were distributed and 100 individuals responded. Fifteen percent (15/100) reported use of the device on 17 occasions. The Lifestat was used successfully in 100% of cases (17/17). Eighty-two percent (14/17) of emergency use was in the hospital. In all cases the device was positioned successfully on the first attempt. No complications were reported.

One thousand direct mail surveys were sent. One hundred clinicians responded to the survey (10%). Fifteen of the one hundred clinicians (15%) reported using the device on 17 occasions. Health care professionals who used the device included six Otolaryngologists, three Anesthesiologists, one Nurse Anesthetist, four General Surgeons, and one Emergency Room physician. Fourteen of the 17 Lifestat employments (82%) occurred in the hospital setting. Three (17%) occurred at a social gathering.
http://www.airstat.org/pages/experiences.php

in other words, it's for people with a clue. It's not for the guy on NES looking to waste money. That thing can **** someones day up bad if used incorrectly, and you bet your ass gross negligence is written all over that if you used it when it wasnt needed.

Friggen ridiculous to suggest shit like that without some serious training.

just like that guy that owns the shooting school that has more paramedic shit in his bag than a friggen ALS ambulance.

You're right, it is for people who have a clue. Some of us have a little bit of a clue.

The active ingredient in Benadryl is useless without an IV in such a situation.

there were a rash of counterfeit tourniquet products out on the street just a little while ago. Make sure you have the real deal in your kit.

You're right, it is for people who have a clue. Some of us have a little bit of a clue.

The active ingredient in Benadryl is useless without an IV in such a situation.

Per the doctor I probably save my wife life when the said her throat felt itchy and she was having difficulty swallowing bit I suppose I could have waited until it swelled shut and gave her a tracheotomy

Negligence regardless.

Every year or so one of these threads pops up on NES. People on NES want to be the best at everything. I get it. From shooting the best, to knowing things about war, to 1st aid, to being 200lbs overweight.

Like clockwork, people in these threads will post 100% retarded shit that requires huge amounts of know how or traning. Then those people get called out. Then they defend it. Every time. It's like getting in your car drunk and driving into someones house and then subsequently defending it.

I'm sure it has it's niche use, and I would definitely wonder why an ER is using it and not normal equipment, but holy shit, be highly trained in medicine before you start to advocate for touching peoples airways with an instrument.

For the people who dont know any better, if you dont know what youre doing the most you should be doing is a friggen head tilt or jaw thrust. If that doesnt work don't start your own mini surgery [rofl]. Maybe an epi pen if you have a semi clue. All that fails, call for help and start compressions.

Don't come to NES for medical advice either [rofl]

I'm still wondering where this device was recommended. Who recommended this? Granted, if you have no concept of indications, contraindications, and human anatomy it's probably not for you.

Now, about those neck tourniquets...

Tourniquets have been an optional skill in the standard first aid curricula since the ECC 2010 recommendations. Being that it's 2015 and they're reviewed on a 5 year cycle, I'd expect new standards to be announced early next year and incorporated into curricula that will be release late in the year by the big two (AHA and ARC) and ASHI shortly thereafter. Although ASHI is gaining a lot of ground on AHA and ARC, and in my not at all humble opinion is a FAR better outfit to work with as an Instructor or Instructor Trainer.

In about ten years, all of the people that still haven't caught on to ECC 2010 changes even though they've been taught them 5 times will finally start recognizing the ECC 2015 changes. I swear, people meet the knowledge and skill objectives that prove they know the changes, then forget them the moment they walk out of the class.

Back
Top Bottom