TracGrabbers for getting un-stuck in mud/snow

In snow I've had good luck jamming a floor mat in front of a drive wheel. This seems like a good idea for times when that's not a viable option (or just isn't working).

ETA: Seems easy enough to DIY with some webbing and anything blockish.

yes would work fine, especially if you had one for both sides since the free wheel will always spin.

unfortunately, a lot of cars do not have enough space between the wheel rim and the brake calipers to clear that strap, so make sure of that before you toss them on.

As you'd guess, chains are illegal in Massachusetts.

4WD, common sense, weight in the vehicle go a long way. Being an experienced off-roader, I'm either smart or lucky I haven't been stuck in my F150 4x4. Been in some deep snow too.

The Jeep offroad however......I get that thing stuck/hung ALL the time! [smile]

4WD, common sense, weight in the vehicle go a long way. Being an experienced off-roader, I'm either smart or lucky I haven't been stuck in my F150 4x4. Been in some deep snow too.

The Jeep offroad however......I get that thing stuck/hung ALL the time! [smile]

I could find no law banning chains.

Massachusetts prohibits the use of studded tires and chains between May 1 and Nov. 1 without a permit. The law does not specifically mention chains; however, the Massachusetts State Patrol confirmed the regulation applies the same way for chains. It should also be noted that commercial vehicles can be ordered off the roadways during "snow emergencies."

When did that happen? I know emergency vehicles often have automatic tires chains, etc, too. Mail trucks used to have tire chains all the time during the winter.

-Mike

Chains are legal during the winter months but there is probably nothing worse you can do to a car than putting chains on it. They are great to out of trouble but driving with them on for any extended time can damage tires and bearings and if one breaks you could be buying a fender

Interesting. I recently got a Ford E-Series van stuck in the Imperial Sand Dunes. This probably would have helped to get the Silverado unstuck that came out to try and get me unstuck.

Back
Top Bottom