Tracking kills via GPS/GIS

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
While pheasant hunting this AM with my friend Marc, (HamSlam), we were discussing the idea of plotting bird sightings and bird kills with a hand held GPS.

Then taking that data an importing that on to a GIS map of which ever WMA we had just hunted. Obviously after a couple of seasons of hunting and plotting it would be fairly easy to identify "hot spots" in each WMA.

Does anyone do this? And if so how has it worked?

I haven't gone "high tech" with the GPS, but I always pay more attention to areas where I've been lucky.
Two years in a row I got an opening day grouse at the same spot in Rutland State Park. I haven't hunted there in years, but I'll bet there are grouse there still.
As for pheasant, I never got one in the same spot. But the memories make the spot special anyway.

Not to hijack ... but why is it so damned hard to get into a hunter's ed course? They always fill up so quickly with the remaining ones way too far to get to.
I've been dying to hunt birds ....

Back on track though, I had a similar thought wrt mushrooms. Some mushrooms seem to grow back every year in the same spot. I think it's good idea, I just don't have a GPS sytem (yet).

Back
Top Bottom