• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traditions Nitro Fire

So, are these just an exercise in how far can we push technology to test the edge of the legal definition? That is - to make something that technically is a muzzle-loader so you can still use it in ML season, but practically is as close to a cartridge-fed firearm as we can get without crossing that line?

So, are these just an exercise in how far can we push technology to test the edge of the legal definition? That is - to make something that technically is a muzzle-loader so you can still use it in ML season, but practically is as close to a cartridge-fed firearm as we can get without crossing that line?
Pretty much. ITs marketing and its always pushed the legal definition and actually laws have changed around it........dribble these new tech things out to sell new guns. Muzzleloading has come a long way, but so hasn't archery, crossbows, and guns in general.

I started off in MA 30 years ago using a 58 cal smoothbore (scared of rifles in MA, even muzzleloaders), , open sights only, actual black powder as there was no subs commerically available yet.

Then they allowed rifles barrels...yup, new gun T/C White Mtn Carbine. Traded the old 58 cal....which was a tackdriver with round balls BTW.

Then scopes.....yup new gun inline T/C.....can't even remember what it was, as I quickly sold it for a easy two finger breech plug, break open action, CVA Optima Stainless. I hunted with it all along before break opens were even legal in MA. Because they are a snap to clean, and load and unload without firing. Took the 209 primers which were much more easy to get and reliable and you can use pellets with all sorts of substitutes. And they finally came around and made it legal. That's the gun I use today. It more accurate than some of my rifles and any slug gun I have.

Now.....I kinda like the thought of hunting with the old White Mtn Carbine again with open sights......could really care less about the new MZ technology. Its gone far enough for me. I'm considering going backwards for the fun of it.

Last edited:
Pretty much. ITs marketing.......dribble these new tech things out to sell new guns. Muzzleloading has come a long way, but so hasn't archery, crossbows, and guns in general.

I started off in MA 30 years ago using a 58 cal smoothbore (scared of rifles in MA, even muzzleloaders), , open sights only, actual black powder as there was no subs commerically available yet.

Then they allowed rifles barrels...yup, new gun T/C White Mtn Carbine. Traded the old 58 cal....which was a tackdriver with round balls BTW.

Then scopes.....yup new gun inline T/C.....can't even remember what it was, as I quickly traded it for a easy breech plug, break open action, and hunted with it all along before break opens were legal. Just because they are a snap to clean, and load and unload without firing. Took the 209 primers which were much more easy to get and reliable and you can use pellets with all sorts of substitutes.

Now.....I kinda like the thought of hunting with the old White Mtn Carbine again with open sights......could really care less about the new MZ technology. Its gone far enough for me.
Thanks for clarifying. I kept looking at things like this and saying "what's the point?"
I mean I've got basically zero experience with BP (and barely more with hunting) and I hate to yuck anybody's yum; it just seems kind of masturbatory to call this configuration ML, except for the arc of history/technology you describe.

I'm wondering if these things will work in my Traditions LRC or if there's a retrofit for the rifle. Guessing that I'll have to buy a new gun. Seems like just for the convenience it would be worth it. Handling powder in the field is a mess.

It's all muzzle loading - the projectile gets fed in from the front of the barrel. I like my ml with open sights, it keeps me "thinking" muzzle loader shots. I just think that the tech is cool because you can do hunt how you want. I have my eye on a traditional ml, but don't hunt enough to justify the price. I use a compound bow, but it would really be cool to hunt with a traditional archery setup. So just because the tech exists, doesn't mean you have to use it.

The BATFE does not consider it a muzzleloader because of the cartridge like powder and primer combo.
So you would need to check the states that you would be using it in for legality.

I'm wondering if these things will work in my Traditions LRC or if there's a retrofit for the rifle. Guessing that I'll have to buy a new gun. Seems like just for the convenience it would be worth it. Handling powder in the field is a mess.

It's all muzzle loading - the projectile gets fed in from the front of the barrel. I like my ml with open sights, it keeps me "thinking" muzzle loader shots. I just think that the tech is cool because you can do hunt how you want. I have my eye on a traditional ml, but don't hunt enough to justify the price. I use a compound bow, but it would really be cool to hunt with a traditional archery setup. So just because the tech exists, doesn't mean you have to use it.
Handling 777 pellets is not a mess at all. Pull thr breach plug and push the projo and pellets out the back if you don't fire a shot after a day in the field.

This nitro fire is a solution looking for a problem. It will be a "flash in the pan" and fail in the market miserably. Pun totally intended.

FYI it's not legal for muzzleloader season in MA, it's actually not even legal during shotgun. They are regulated by ATF as a firearm. Go on gunbroker and try to get one without an FFL. you can't.

FYI it's not legal for muzzleloader season in MA, it's actually not even legal during shotgun. They are regulated by ATF as a firearm. Go on gunbroker and try to get one without an FFL. you can't.
That's why I said to check the states that you were going to use it in. If not allowed in many states, I don't see it lasting long.it will become useless if they stop making the fire sticks.

Handling 777 pellets is not a mess at all. Pull thr breach plug and push the projo and pellets out the back if you don't fire a shot after a day in the field.

This nitro fire is a solution looking for a problem. It will be a "flash in the pan" and fail in the market miserably. Pun totally intended.
This is how I've generally put away my muzzleloader for 10 years now or ever since they introduced pellets........I never fire it off, because then you have to clean it.
Unscrew breech plug, push pellets and projectile out. Grease the barrel with some bore butter, wipe the whole outside with clp and put away til next year. Can't get much easier than
that.

This is how I've generally put away my muzzleloader for 10 years now or ever since they introduced pellets........I never fire it off, because then you have to clean it.
Unscrew breech plug, push pellets and projectile out. Grease the barrel with some bore butter, wipe the whole outside with clp and put away til next year. Can't get much easier than
that.

Same here, less the bore butter. Mine gets CLP in and out.

Bob

Same here, less the bore butter. Mine gets CLP in and out.

Bob
They tell me using non petroleum bore butter and cleaners on the inside of the barrel only, will season the inside of the ML like a cast iron pan. I'm not sure why I care. I keep the thing cleaned after every time I shoot it....... like religion.

When my Dad taught me in 1985 when he bought me my first smoothbore Thompson Center and we were shooting actual black powder, there was no subs that I knew of back then........., His words " Its not fxcking smokeless powder, if you don't clean it right after, your barrel will rust and pit within days. Clean it or else your a goddamn idiot."

That was before stainless barrels and breech plugs......but if I shoot it.....I clean it. No more hot water and soap though, I just douche it good with the T/C non petroleum cleaner and patches (which is probably liquid soap diluted) and dry really well, and put it up with few greased patches of bore butter. Never had any rust.

They tell me using non petroleum bore butter and cleaners on the inside of the barrel only, will season the inside of the ML like a cast iron pan. I'm not sure why I care. I keep the thing cleaned after every time I shoot it....... like religion.

When my Dad taught me in 1985 when he bought me my first smoothbore Thompson Center and we were shooting actual black powder, there was no subs that I knew of back then........., His words " Its not fxcking smokeless powder, if you don't clean it right after, your barrel will rust and pit within days. Clean it or else your a goddamn idiot."

That was before stainless barrels and breech plugs......but if I shoot it.....I clean it. No more hot water and soap though, I just douche it good with the T/C non petroleum cleaner and patches (which is probably liquid soap diluted) and dry really well, and put it up with few greased patches of bore butter. Never had any rust.

Maybe it does season the bore. I have never heard that before. I clean the barrel and the bore with the BP white cleaning solvent and CLPit when done for storage.

When I am ready to load it or go to the range it gets a swab to pick up any excess CLP and I load it never a problem. I

I cleaned my percussion BP rifles the same except I popped a cap or two before I loaded it. Never a problem there either. I did use real BP Goex or Swiss for the lower ignition temp. One day, when I was much younger, I hunted all day in a cold rain and at the end of the day fired it without issue.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom