• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traget Camera Systems

HarryPottar

NES Member
HI,

Anyone on here own a target camera system and can comment on the quality and performance.

I've been researching the Caldwell long range target system and the Bullseye Ammo-Cam sight-in system.

Bullseye have two versions, the long range and sight-in edition, however there is over a $300 difference between the two.

Price wise the Caldwell system is the same price as the Bullseye sight-in edition.

I like the Bullseye system, it's an all-in-one unit with easy storage, carry and set up. It's small and can be placed low on the ground and I can place some AR500 steel behind it, so it should be safe.

They have software that takes a snap shot and swaps the previous picture with the one just taken like a flip-book, so it highlights your last shot, simple but clever.

The downside it is only work upto a 300 yard range. For $30 they offer repair & replacement insurance in case it is hit by a stray bullet.

The Caldwell at the same price consists of two tripods and the range is over a mile. More to set up but far longer range, the camera has pan,tilt and zoom so you can set it off to the side and hopefully limit stray impact. Have not seen either in person but Caldwell has a reputation of cheapness about their products.

The Caldwell software offers group calculation but not last shot. Both system offer live feed video and record.

The two videos below demonstrate both system, the Bullseye video is the long range edition. The sight-in edition does not come with the base station and has different parts in the main unit.

Couple of things worth mentioning.

I'm just getting in to rifle shooting, looking at picking up a 6.5 creedmore Ruger precision rifle. The range I use has a 200 yard range, plenty enough to start with but would like to learn to shoot out further.

There are plenty of web sites out there on building your own but I would rather pick up a ready built unit. I'm not a fan of spotting scopes, IMHO they have narrow field of view and to get the quality I want I would be in the 1k range.

Thoughts and comments on the two.

Thanks
Harry

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy at our club has the bulls eye. It's cool and works as advertised. Out to 200 yards zero issues.
The Cadwell comes with a camera/display pad .

I would say if you plan on shooting at distance where you don't have a target puller . Get the one for long range.
Also if you plan to compete they do not allow any equipment of yours down range.

My friend uses his cordless security camera through his phone some how.
There is no software for target info and the resolution is awful but it does work......I think he has to plug in a A/C base unit though.?
Spotting scopes are not ment to see tiny little holes at distance.
The objective and quality would be much larger than you would like.

Certain light conditions I can see 22 holes at 200 yards on the white of the taeget with my old Konus 20x60x80 set on 25x. The resolution and clarity really Crap out on higher X.
The spotting scope is more used to see your spotter on the target and conditions down range.
My Konus was stolen and I replaced it with a Celestron regal LER M2
Runs 300$ more than the Konus and so far I am liking it. Resolution is very nice. Feels well built and has 32mm of eye relief and it works well no hunting for the image through the eye piece.
Some day I might pick up the camera system. I will have to start shooting much more though

Interesting info. So far, the only system I've seen where you DON'T have to place anything down rang is the SCATT mx-2. Am I correct? It's over twice the price! Does anyone know if either/any systems (beside the SCATT) have audible tones that could help a blind person? We haven't found anything yet. Grateful for any help, experiences, opinions that anyone wants to share. The firearm is a 22 rifle. Thanx!

I have the bullseye system but have not yet tried it out. I bought it at Shot Show at their booth. I'm hoping to give it a try soon.

I put one of those shoot and see targets at 300+ yards and record with my cellphone attached to the spotting scope.

Works great for a .459 size bullet.

It only cost me $10 or so for the phone attachment.

Back
Top Bottom