• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trail camera thread. Post ur trail camera photos.

Clearly we can't see what is going on outside the cone of the infrared light. What made THAT spot worth a cam, dixi? I'm curious.

Clearly we can’t see what is going on outside the cone of the infrared light. What made THAT spot worth a cam, dixi? I'm curious.
It is right outside the fenced area of my back yard. You can see the wire fence at the bottom right of the picture. It makes a funnel area where the deer (and turkeys) tend to go on their route through the neighborhood. Houses are too close for any kind of shooting. I got the camera for my birthday and set it up there to see what critters are in the neighborhood. There have been sporadic does in the summer. Bucks didn’t show up until the rut started, and this guy just showed up when the shotgun season started. I suspect he spends the hunting season in little pockets of woods near houses once the shooting starts…

Mr. Humongous still roams. Not a fan of the IR flash, it seems.

What is the consensus on the IR "flash" with these game cameras? On my Browning cameras I've walked by them at night and I can see the dim red lights come for the split second the pic is taken. It doesn't bother the yotes or foxes. I swear seeing my sequences of buck pics at night, as soon as I get a pic of them looking at the camera they are moving off in the next photos. I've actually moved my cameras up to around 6' elevation in the trees to hopefully avoid it next season.

What is the consensus on the IR "flash" with these game cameras? On my Browning cameras I've walked by them at night and I can see the dim red lights come for the split second the pic is taken. It doesn't bother the yotes or foxes. I swear seeing my sequences of buck pics at night, as soon as I get a pic of them looking at the camera they are moving off in the next photos. I've actually moved my cameras up to around 6' elevation in the trees to hopefully avoid it next season.
I think the deer notice the change in light. They may not know where its from or see the red light, since they are noctournal/crepuscualar animals I think the amount of available light affects them somewhat.

Meaning if its pitch dark and then theres 20%-30% more illumination in that area.....they pick up on it, and end up seeing the camera as a foreign object that shouldn't be there.

I think the deer see some visible spectrum of the light. They also hear the IR filter swing into position. I've seen it on the first after dark shots preceded by daylight shots.

There are some nicer 'stealth' models out there with no visible light at all - the one I have set up that way, I see animals right in front of them with no reaction whatsoever. Ones that are more visible, I do see them react occasionally (especially bobcats), usually to check out the camera, not to run away. And @Tweed is right, some animals hear the camera, whether it's some ultrasonic from a capacitor or a filter clicking into place.

Back
Top Bottom