Training your kids...

Since this was brought up in another thread, I thought it would be a good idea for y'all to share how you handle firearms in the home with your children. What did you do? How did you start to teach them? How have you handled other kids coming in and asking about them? Since all my kids have been 4 legged and furry, it's not an issue, but I have worked with younger children and with students who have children.

Let the suggestions flow...

Right now I don't do to much with letting her touch them, as she's only 2.

But, I do talk to her about it when she's looking in my safe when I'm taking things out or putting them back.

She'll ask, "What's that Daddy?"

And I just tell her that they are my guns. You don't touch them right now, maybe when you are older. They are tools and not toys. And if you ever see one, you need to get a grown up.

That's about all I'm doing right now. I'll get more detalied as she gets older.

Growing up, I always knew were the guns were. No locks, no trying to hide it.

At an early age (I don't even remember when) my dad started me in the back yard with a BB gun and the Sunday Comics. I remember enjoying shooting at Bluto in the Popeye comics particularly. (^_^)

I never remember a time that I didn't understand what a real gun did and what TV guns were. There were just certain things in the house that you NEVER touched. Guns, Booze, dad's hunting knives, etc. You want to see them, just ask. Never a mystery, never a draw.

And I grew up knowing there were two levels of rules. One level you get punished and another level you simply never wanted to know the consequences.

My dad and I watched Dirty Harry movies together (much to my mom's dismay) We liked to watch Westerns and Star Trek too. The real key was that I did things with my dad and the idea of not doing stuff with him just never occured to me until I was old enough to really know right from wrong.

I'm expecting my own little one before the year is out and I plan to do pretty much the same with him. Well, with one exception - My guns are locked up. (^_^)

Chris said:
I'm expecting my own little one before the year is out and I plan to do pretty much the same with him. Well, with one exception - My guns are locked up. (^_^)

Congrats Chris! You and C-pher will have to post pics of the next generation of shooters when they both make their appearence. :D

Lynne, here's a start, one of my granddaughters:

http://www.vthills.com/kids.htm

And an additional pic of the 2 of them, with my kids:

12a.jpg

The bigger one (Whitney) is 2. Her father there is an OIF vet, served with Tank. The other one is Jen, 9 months old.

Her other Grandfather thought he got her her first gun, a Winchester 94 in 30-30 (don't ask me, or his daughter, just what he was thinking). The joke was on him. I've had an unserial numbered 22 bolt gun that my father wanted out of his shop (obviously pre 68 gun, yes, it's legal). Well, I said I'd pass it down to my grandchildren, so it's hers, IF she wants it.

To get back on topic, AND answer your question, as soon as they can wear adequate protection, though maybe a little later.

Whitney maybe in a year or two, shooting a 22 handgun hopefully by 7, a rifle well before 10.

Jen will probably be a little younger than that, since I shoot with her parents a little more.

Yea, that's what I'm worried about. But then, her mom is a good looking woman as well.

peanutupright.jpg

I'm just glad that she takes after her, and not me. As she wouldn't look as good. Then, I don't think that I would have to worry as much when she get's older if that was true. :D

Anyway, as I've said. I've already started talking about them, but don't really let her touch them yet. I do think that she's going to be a good shooter when she gets older. I've seen that her eye hand is pretty good already. And her dexterity has always been pretty well. And I think that it will be fun to shoot together. I always loved shooting with my family when I was growing up.

You do know how to tell which eye is the Master eye, don't you?

The relevance, is that a person should shoot using their master eye, NOT their master hand. Most folks, it's the same, but not all. My son is a lefty, but shoots a rifle right handed (right master eye) and a pistol left handed, with his right eye. It kept him from getting tossed out of Bott Camp, as well, but he had to explain to the Drill Sergeant how to tell which is the master eye. That blew their minds, I'll tell you.

I always thought it was amazing the nurses can tell the sex so easily on those screens. I remember when Melody and I were there the asked if we wanted to know just before she was done, we said yes. Then she moved the wand quickly over her belly and said it's a boy. Then pointed to me how she knew.

My reply "Whew!!! And here I thought he had three legs!"

Nickle said:
You do know how to tell which eye is the Master eye, don't you?

The relevance, is that a person should shoot using their master eye, NOT their master hand. Most folks, it's the same, but not all. My son is a lefty, but shoots a rifle right handed (right master eye) and a pistol left handed, with his right eye. It kept him from getting tossed out of Bott Camp, as well, but he had to explain to the Drill Sergeant how to tell which is the master eye. That blew their minds, I'll tell you.

Yea, I do the thumb trick. If it moves when you close one eye, you know which one is the master.

And we didn't find out the sex with our first, we're not going to find out with this one.

C-pher, that works, I use my index fingers together and see which way the junction goes. That's what James showed his Drill Sgt's, and they were shocked. I'm sure they'd be glad to see him now. Combat Vet, and an NCO as well.

derek said:
I always thought it was amazing the nurses can tell the sex so easily on those screens. I remember when Melody and I were there the asked if we wanted to know just before she was done, we said yes. Then she moved the wand quickly over her belly and said it's a boy. Then pointed to me how she knew.

My reply "Whew!!! And here I thought he had three legs!"

I guess he's going to be really short like his dad? [wink] [lol]

There was that bull dog again!! (Nice to see you finally getting back to the important stuff there Tony and beating Derek up again. [wink] )
[lol] [lol]

For those new folks that don't know Derek and Tony = they're buds and take shots (not literally) at each other all the time.

TonyD said:
derek said:
I guess you skipped school when Reading comprehension was taught. [roll]

I thought it was pretty straight forward.

Me too... I got it!
Maybe we should explain it for him...
"My reply "Whew!!! And here I thought he had three legs!"

If he had 3 legs and was "Short like daddy"
All 3 legs would be small... INCLUDING the middle one!

Adam

Back
Top Bottom