• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transfer question

Howdy folks, sorry I haven't been around much. Life is pretty busy and unfortuantely shooting has taken a back seat for now.

Anyways, I have a question for you MA residence in the know. I'm trading to a guy some auto parts for an M4 clone that is registered in MA. What does he have to do to make his end legal? Since I am in NH, their should not be anything on my end, but he is concerned about documentation on his end. Oh, this will be a face to face exchange.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

Assuming that neither of you have an FFL and since you live in different states, you can't do this as a private FTF transfer. You'll need to use an FFL.
It's a long gun so you can use an FFL either in Mass or NH. (If it were a handgun you'd have to use a NH FFL.) So, find a gun dealer convenient to both of you and have the dealer make the transfer at the shop or have him ship it to a dealer convenient to you.

Me? no, it's just a plainjane AR clone. Sounds about right on the dealer part. I'll talk to him later and see what he wants to do. He can just send the rifle to the dealer direct I believe.

Rooster Use a NH FFL. (Unless you have a class b or a LTC in mass!)
don't need you getting busted! He can carry in to the dealer and they can do the transfer.

FFl Transfer to NH

[roll] I believe that A NH resident Cannot Receive A long gun from a MA FFL although a MA resident can buy a long gun from a NH dealer. So I would say you have to go to the NH FFL. :( :( :( Jim

Re: FFl Transfer to NH

jimg11 said:
[roll] I believe that A NH resident Cannot Receive A long gun from a MA FFL although a MA resident can buy a long gun from a NH dealer. So I would say you have to go to the NH FFL. :( :( :( Jim

Um...no Jim. A NH resident can buy anything here in MA, as long as he's got proof he's a NH resident, like a driver's license. But...who in their right mind would want to shop here???

FFL Transfer

Hi Lynne,
Had this discussion with Walta44 last night and we are waiting for a NH FFL to make the sale of a long gun to a NH resident. It sounds stupid but it has been that way since the 98 Gun Law. :( :( :( Jim

Re: FFl Transfer to NH

Lynne said:
jimg11 said:

Um...no Jim. A NH resident can buy anything here in MA, as long as he's got proof he's a NH resident, like a driver's license. But...who in their right mind would want to shop here???

Lynne, Jim is right . . . the Simons Rock (college shooter) law passed and prohibits ANY NR from buying any ammo or long arms in MA!

It doesn't violate NH/Fed law, a sale here would violate MA law.

Re: FFL Transfer

jimg11 said:
Hi Lynne,
Had this discussion with Walta44 last night and we are waiting for a NH FFL to make the sale of a long gun to a NH resident. It sounds stupid but it has been that way since the 98 Gun Law. :( :( :( Jim

Wait a second...a NH resident can come into MA and buy a non-MA compliant hand gun, but said NH resident can't buy a long gun in MA???? Something isn't right....

Lynne said:
Wait a second...a NH resident can come into MA and buy a non-MA compliant hand gun, but said NH resident can't buy a long gun in MA???? Something isn't right....

Lynne, who told you that. Buy a handgun in any state but the one you live in and you are eligible for an all-expense paid vacation in Club Fed!

Fed Law says non-licensees can ONLY buy handguns in state of residence.

Fed Law says that non-licensees can purchase long guns in ANY state, PROVIDED THAT THE TRANSACTION IS LEGAL PER STATE LAW. So MA has prohibited any purchases by NRs due to the student from Simons Rock College who mail-ordered ammo to be sent to his dorm. I was in the state house for the anti-gun hearings where Simons Rock College had sent 1 or 2 bus loads of nitwits to "testify" and lobby to "stop the carnage" by stopping sale/possession of anything by NRs.

LenS said:
Lynne said:

Lynne, who told you that. Buy a handgun in any state but the one you live in and you are eligible for an all-expense paid vacation in Club Fed!

Through an FFL dearheart...sorry. I tend to forget to post everything when I type. I assume people know what I mean. I'll try to remedy that next time.

Sorry, but still not quite right. From the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide 2000:

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under GCA?
  • A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own State, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided that the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State when the purchaser resides.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 178.29]

So can residents of another state purchase a handgun in Massachusetts? Only by having the gun transfered through a FFL in their own state. Can they purchase a long gun here? They could, except that Mass law doesn't allow it, so they're required to have it transfered through a FFL in their own state, as with a handgun.

Ken

Exidently I didn't remedy it enough...Through an FFL to be transferred to another in NH. (given that it's a NH resident)

Better everyone? :D

Lynne said:
Exidently I didn't remedy it enough...Through an FFL to be transferred to another in NH. (given that it's a NH resident)

Better everyone? :D

No! :)

NO need for 2 FFLs to make money on this deal (not to mention cost of shipping from one FFL to the other). Two reasonable and legal options:

- MA owner drives gun to NH gunshop. Buyer also meets at NH gunshop and ONE FFL does it all!

- MA owner gets copy of NH gunshop FFL and ships directly from OWNER (no MA FFL required) to NH FFL. Buyer does purchase at NH FFL. Shipping can be thru USPS (NOT recommended . . . USPS does NOT pay on insurance claims), UPS or FedEx Ground (ONLY handguns have to go air/next day). This doesn't save $ on shipping costs, but does save on the double FFL cost issue.

NOTE: If shipping ANY gun, ALWAYS bring a copy of the carrier's tariffs with you in case they start giving you a line of BS (happens often).

I thought what started this was whether or not a NH resident could purchase a long gun in MA? I assumed it meant said resident coming down to a MA gun shop and purchasing said long gun from MA shop. Or did I misinterpret that too?

Oh...nevermind....forget I brought it up.

Back
Top Bottom