Transporting guns in pickup trucks in MA

crookedteeth

NES Member
I'm wondering about how best to transport handguns and long guns in a truck (F-350) to satisfy MA rules. Can I just put the handgun under the back seat and lock it? Does it also have to be in a locked case? I usually just put rifles (non-large capacity) on the floor. Sometimes remove the bolt on rifles and lock that under the seat as well. Thinking about one of those car seat back guns racks for rifles and shotguns. I don't want a bunch of bulky long gun cases filling up the whole back seat. Don't have a tool box in the cab.

As far as the handgun goes, if it's your carry gun
and you're unholstering/reholstering
but not because of a gun-free zone at one end of the drive or the other,
then you're doing it wrong.

It's a tossup which will happen first -
a Pickup Pop from fondling a gun that belongs in a holster,
or a SWATting by some Karen who sees you playing with guns in a parking lot.

As far as the handgun goes, if it's your carry gun
and you're unholstering/reholstering
but not because of a gun-free zone at one end of the drive or the other,
then you're doing it wrong.

It's a tossup which will happen first -
a Pickup Pop from fondling a gun that belongs in a holster,
or a SWATting by some Karen who sees you playing with guns in a parking lot.
Yeah, not talking about conceal carry situations. Mostly just for trips to the range or hunting.

I'm wondering about how best to transport handguns and long guns in a truck (F-350) to satisfy MA rules. Can I just put the handgun under the back seat and lock it? Does it also have to be in a locked case? I usually just put rifles (non-large capacity) on the floor. Sometimes remove the bolt on rifles and lock that under the seat as well. Thinking about one of those car seat back guns racks for rifles and shotguns. I don't want a bunch of bulky long gun cases filling up the whole back seat. Don't have a tool box in the cab.
For handguns, you have 2 options:
  • no need to lock or unload the gun as long as you have it under your direct control. What it means is that you have it within your grasp or on your body. This is enabled under LTC. If you don't have it(ex. FID), you cannot use this option.
  • keep the gun locked and unloaded. this can be any lockable storage in the car. If you have a trunk, as long as the trunk stays locked, the gun can be just laying there. Just make sure the trunk stays locked. SUV's, Minivans or station wagons do not have isolated trunks so for those types of vehicles you will need a gun-locker. Trucks with lockable in-floor or under the rear seat storage are ok. A workbox mounted in the truck bed is ok as long as it's lockable.
For long guns, option 1 does not apply. In other words, the gun needs to be in a lockable container. Mind you, a soft zippered range rifle bag is acceptable as long as the zipper can be locked: the law does not specify materials or construction methods of lockable storage. The only requirement is that it's lockable enough that a person cannot manipulate the trigger through the gap in a zipper or lid.

However, if you stop and leave the firearms unattended, on the way home or to the range, you now have to follow MA storage laws.

Yeah, not talking about conceal carry situations. Mostly just for trips to the range or hunting.
Yep, moving your arsenal to the range is different.

However, if you stop and leave the firearms unattended, on the way home or to the range, you now have to follow MA storage laws.
What additional requirements does that impose above and beyond the transport laws?

Yep, moving your arsenal to the range is different.

What additional requirements does that impose above and beyond the transport laws?

I have a cheap Sentry safe bolted to the floor of my truck in front of the middle seat. That's where my unloaded handgun goes if it's not my CCW. My unloaded long guns go in a plastic case with a small padlock on the case.

Ammo would need to also be secured. AFAIK there’s no transport requirements for ammo.

I need to re-read the threads linked, but my recollection is yes lock the pistol unloaded in a case. Don’t use the glovebox. Don’t use a trigger lock.

Non-large capacity rifles and shotguns don’t need to be locked, but that’s not an argument you’ll win on the side of the road in a traffic stop if anything is visible.

Large capacity needs to be locked (again, case, no trigger lock). Removing the bolt doesn’t matter for transport or storage requirements.

This is not that complicated, you just need to draw a 2x4 grid on paper with Transport and Storage on the short side and Ammo, Handguns, Non-large capacity long guns, Large Capacity long guns on the long side, and fill in 8 boxes. Hint: ammo has no laws outside a building.

It’s not entirely our fault, the state website that attempts to explain it does it poorly, and says “The laws for transporting a firearm can be confusing.”

Last truck had nice storage for a du-ha gun box under the rear seat that you could padlock the hinge . 2019 truck has crap for storage room under the rear seat. I settled on putting a Fliptop cross over box in the bed, funny as hell watching me get my old fat ass up over the tailgate. Truck is too high to so much more than see in the box! Speaking of which if anyone has a 2005 or so GMC or Chevy Ext cab pick-up I still have the under seat storage they can have.

Actual current Massachusetts law: Chapter 140: Section 131C. Carrying of firearms in a vehicle

Text of section as amended by 2014, 284, Sec. 58 effective January 1, 2021.

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a license issued pursuant to section 131 or 131F shall carry the loaded firearm in a vehicle unless the loaded firearm while carried in the vehicle is under the direct control of the person. Whoever violates this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a license issued pursuant to section 131 or 131F shall possess the large capacity rifle or shotgun in a vehicle unless the large capacity rifle or shotgun is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of the vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

(c) This section shall not apply to: (i) an officer, agent or employee of the commonwealth, any state or the United States; (ii) a member of the military or other service of any state or of the United States; (iii) a duly authorized law enforcement officer, agent or employee of a municipality of the commonwealth; provided, however, that a person described in clauses (i) to (iii), inclusive, is authorized by a competent authority to carry or possess the weapon so carried or possessed and is acting within the scope of the person's official duties.

(d) A conviction of a violation of this section shall be reported immediately by the court or magistrate to the licensing authority. The licensing authority shall immediately revoke the firearm identification card or license of the person convicted of a violation of this section. No new firearm identification card or license may be issued to a person convicted of a violation of this section until 1 year after the date of revocation of the firearm identification card or license.

++++++++++

Everything else bantered about in this thread is either made-up, obsolete, speculation, guesswork, the result of bad memories and/or that "Massprudance" thang that I hate so much. Flame on, but the above is the actual law as it stands today.

Actual current Massachusetts law: Chapter 140: Section 131C. Carrying of firearms in a vehicle

Text of section as amended by 2014, 284, Sec. 58 effective January 1, 2021.

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a license issued pursuant to section 131 or 131F shall carry the loaded firearm in a vehicle unless the loaded firearm while carried in the vehicle is under the direct control of the person. Whoever violates this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a license issued pursuant to section 131 or 131F shall possess the large capacity rifle or shotgun in a vehicle unless the large capacity rifle or shotgun is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of the vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

(c) This section shall not apply to: (i) an officer, agent or employee of the commonwealth, any state or the United States; (ii) a member of the military or other service of any state or of the United States; (iii) a duly authorized law enforcement officer, agent or employee of a municipality of the commonwealth; provided, however, that a person described in clauses (i) to (iii), inclusive, is authorized by a competent authority to carry or possess the weapon so carried or possessed and is acting within the scope of the person's official duties.

(d) A conviction of a violation of this section shall be reported immediately by the court or magistrate to the licensing authority. The licensing authority shall immediately revoke the firearm identification card or license of the person convicted of a violation of this section. No new firearm identification card or license may be issued to a person convicted of a violation of this section until 1 year after the date of revocation of the firearm identification card or license.

++++++++++

Everything else bantered about in this thread is either made-up, obsolete, speculation, guesswork, the result of bad memories and/or that "Massprudance" thang that I hate so much. Flame on, but the above is the actual law as it stands today.
Is a loaded firearm different from an unloaded?
The law states "loaded"

Is a loaded firearm different from an unloaded?
The law states "loaded"
You should be concerned about whether a handgun carried in a vehicle,
not under the direct control of a licensee,
may be considered to be stored in the vehicle.

Ch. 140 §131L: Weapons stored or kept by owner; inoperable by any person other than owner or lawfully authorized user; punishment

(a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, ... in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. ... For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.​

So let me get this clear: NON-Large capacity rifles need not follow the storage law but EVERY shotgun, even single-shot grandfather style shotgun, must be locked and stored

So let me get this clear: NON-Large capacity rifles need not follow the storage law but EVERY shotgun, even single-shot grandfather style shotgun, must be locked and stored
No, large capacity rifles or shotguns means large capacity rifles or large capacity shotguns.

In a locked container. Buy a lockable soft or hard case on brownells. Ammo separate (throw it in a backpack). Throw these on the floor and ideally just cover that up with a blanket or cargo hider when applicable. Easy.

In a locked container. Buy a lockable soft or hard case on brownells. Ammo separate (throw it in a backpack). Throw these on the floor and ideally just cover that up with a blanket or cargo hider when applicable. Easy.
This is the most simple solution - it covers transport (it's unloaded), it covers storage (locked container).

Back
Top Bottom