Transporting guns in pickup trucks in MA

This is the most simple solution - it covers transport (it's unloaded), it covers storage (locked container).
Except ammo doesn’t need to be separate, unless we need to comply with FOPA. Gun just can’t be loaded. Hard to fit a bunch of ammo neatly in a soft rifle case though.

Just keep all your firearms under your direct control while in the vehicle.

1633904939530.png

Problem solved.

Except ammo doesn’t need to be separate, unless we need to comply with FOPA. Gun just can’t be loaded. Hard to fit a bunch of ammo neatly in a soft rifle case though.
True. It does not have to be separate. I just said it was the most simple solution to the situation.

In a locked container. Buy a lockable soft or hard case on brownells. Ammo separate (throw it in a backpack). Throw these on the floor and ideally just cover that up with a blanket or cargo hider when applicable. Easy.
doesn't ammo have to be locked as well ?

ok so based on that. I can have my unloaded rifle in a padded locked case with boxes of ammo ?

(1). Join NES but not Green. (2). Do no research on a topic. (3). Start a thread on a topic that's been beaten to death at least 367 times. Jack.
Not everyone lives on the forum. Some of us join for the available knowledge base and the helpfulness of other like-minded individuals. Chill dude!

WellmadeWelldocumentedAddax-size_restricted.gif

ok so based on that. I can have my unloaded rifle in a padded locked case with boxes of ammo ?
Yep!
doesn't ammo have to be locked as well ?
Only when stored, not in transport (it’s part of the fire code, locked up and in original containers). The confusing part is if you park the car… is that transport or storage? I just lock it up even if that’s unnecessary while driving.

... it’s part of the fire code, locked up ...
No; there's only a school of thought that
the fact that
It's illegal for an unlicensed person to possess ammo unsupervised,
and it's illegal for ammo, powder and primers (but not cases or bullets)
means that it's illegal for a licensed person not to lock up ammo, .

Just like the fact that it's illegal for an unlicensed person to drive a car
means that it's illegal for a licensed driver not to lock up their car.

Last edited:
No; there's only a school of thought that
the fact that it's illegal for an unlicensed person to possess ammo unsupervised
means that it's illegal for a licensed person not to lock up ammo.

Just like the fact that it's illegal for an unlicensed person to drive a car
means that it's illegal for a licensed driver not to lock up their car.
Not exactly. 527 CMR 1.12.8.39.1.1.4 (2) requires ammo and powder/primers to be locked up in a building.

(2) Small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder stored in
original containers and stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use as provided
in Section 1.12.8.50.
Small arms ammunition, as used here, shall mean any shotgun, rifle,
or pistol cartridge and any cartridge or propellant actuated devices, excluding military
ammunition containing bursting charges or incendiary, tracer, spotting, or pyrotechnic
projectiles.

Common occurence. It pays to take a course in Mass laws. There are several really good ones. I took the one @ MassFirearms. best 4 hours I spent!
Mis-information like this is what motivated me to create my Mass Gun Law by and for Non-Lawyers seminar. Next one is next Sunday (listed in Training forum).

Not everyone lives on the forum. Some of us join for the available knowledge base and the helpfulness of other like-minded individuals. Chill dude!
My daddy gets bored and can be a real PITA sometimes. However, he's a senior citizen so be nice to him. If not, I'll shit on your corn flakes. Megan.

Anyway, I would rather take any used car for that purposes. By the way, if you want to get more relevant information of how much does your car cost, probably you should visit this page where I usually estimate my car's price. It's really helpful in such situations when you want to get a new used one..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom