• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transporting guns through Canada

ntomsw

Banned
In a couple weeks, my wife, 2 daughters and myself are traveling to my friends house in Michigan to stay there for a week or so, and was wondering who I would contact or if it is even allowed to travel through Canada with my weapons? If we "cut through" Canada it shaves like 3 hours off travel time, instead of going through Pennsylvania and backup in the U.S. Wasn't sure if there are any sites out there to help with this, or who I can contact. I would of course have the guns locked up and unloaded, and also ammo locked up as well, since I recently customized my ammo cans to make them lockable. Any help would be appreciated.

I was planning on most likely traveling in the US even if it was 2-3 hours longer, just wanted to see if it was possible to travel through Canada. I will call tomorrow for better information.

What kind of effort have you put forward by yourself to find the answers?

Let me tell you, the correct answers from the Canadian government are easy to find. It took me less than 10 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
you cant always trust sites on the internet. was going to call someone first thing in the morning and go form there. I guess sending me the link or posting it here would be easier than sarcasm, but thats just me.

Q. What is prohibited to bring into Canada?
A. List as follows,
*Radar Detector.
*Live minnows, leeches, or worms (night crawlers) unless not packed in dirt.
*Dog Food.
*Potatoes.
*Fire Wood.
*Military style attack rifles. (very clear-cut definition here [laugh])
*Large Capacity Cartridge Magazines (Exceeding 5 rounds for centre fire rifles)

Q. What do I need to bring my firearms into Canada?
A. ALL fully automatic weapons, handguns and pepper spray are prohibited in Canada.
You must obtain a gun permit for your guns. Refer to www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca. You may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun into Ontario for hunting or Competition purposes in you are 18 years of age or older. Firearms must be Registered for a fee of $25. This permit is valid for a period of 60 days. You can also bring up to 200 rounds of ammunition for hunting or 1,500 rounds for use at a recognized shooting competition. Any amounts of ammunition in excess must be tax paid.
For more information contact 1-800-731-4000 or (705) 329-7662 or visit the Canadian

http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/faq.html

Last edited:
Canada will issue a permit to possess and transport handguns (10 rounds mag limit; 105mm min bbl length; no .25 cal) for the purpose of attending a firearm competition, however, Canada will not issue a permit for the purpose of transiting through Canada.

yeah, we are just going to go around. With the research I have done over the last hour, it is not worth saving the 3 hours. I will just stay in the U.S.

you cant always trust sites on the internet. was going to call someone first thing in the morning and go form there. I guess sending me the link or posting it here would be easier than sarcasm, but thats just me.
I don't know about you, but I think I can trust the Royal Canadian Mounted Police's website since they run the Canadian Firearms Centre.

You know, it's always easier when someone does your homework for you. And I certainly could have told you exactly where to go look since I have done the research before, when I thought about traveling to Ottawa to shoot in the DCRA rifle championships.

But I figure you need to learn for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I drive to Michigan somewhat regularly. The Canadian route is maybe an hour shorter, if that, once you factor in border crossings. Just avoid the place altogether and keep your radar detector and guns with you in the good old US of A.

I drive to Michigan somewhat regularly. The Canadian route is maybe an hour shorter, if that, once you factor in border crossings. Just avoid the place altogether and keep your radar detector and guns with you in the good old US of A.

Yeah, that is what we are going to do, is just stay in the US. too much hassle going the other way. I am glad Mass has reciprocity with Michigan anyway. ha

Yeah, that is what we are going to do, is just stay in the US. too much hassle going the other way. I am glad Mass has reciprocity with Michigan anyway. ha

Mass does NOT have reciprocity with any state in the US. Period.

Some states accept MA's license, but that is, strictly speaking, not reciprocity. The permits from those states are NOT valid in MA.

Reciprocity = both states accept one another's permits at least in some capacity or another.

-Mike

Well that's what I meant, mike. I knew what I was thinking, just came out wrong. Of course Ma does not accept anyone else's license. I wouldn't expect anything less from this state. Ha. At least there are a few states out there that do accept mine.

I love that URL; "CanadaWelcomesYou.com" it should read: "CanadaWelcomesYouUnlessYouPlanOnAttemptingToImportYourAmericanFreedomsInWhichCaseYouCanTurnAroundAndGoF**kYourself.com"

Last edited:
You can, and I have, transport handguns through Canada. You need a non resident ATT and also have to fill out a form for each gun which they basically call "registering" or "licensing" the gun. Best bet is to complete the forms at home and have them ready at the border. If you dont already have 'em, you can fill them out when you get there.

The old forms (for the C302, the predecessor to the ATT) specifically stated that Canada will not issue a restricted weapon permit to transit through Canada as common carriers serve the same purpose. While I don't see any indication that "transit through" is accepted on the ATT application form, there is a place to fill in an other reason. Were you able to get an ATT approved when specifically stating your purpose was transit through Canada? If so, this is welcome news.

I notice one other change - the ATT does not require a home town police department letter (a requirement under the old system prior to passage of C68).

Also, my understanding is that you can fill out the registration form at the border, but the ATT must be obtained in advance. There was also a policy a change a few years ago. In the old days, someone who declared a handgun but did not have the paperwork was turned away. That has since been change to "forfeit the gun to the crown".

And.......to add to the post above, you won't just be breezing through Customs at the border on either end. I believe that with firearms, you'll be required to open the cases and show that they are secured. I've hunted in Manitoba and even handling our shotguns through customs (at the airport, anyway) required that we haul our stuff to a counter, stand on line with everyone else, and have them check everything. If this is still the case, it will probably eat up that one-hour driving savings.

Rome

I wonder how many billions of $ in lost sportman tourist revenues these strict Canadian laws have cost them! If I have a choice of hunting in northern Maine, or going thru all that b.s. to go over the boarder, it is going to be a maine bear or deer I am bringin home every time.

Back
Top Bottom