• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transporting / Possessing

Hey All,

Pennsylvania resident here and my first post.

Situation: I may be visiting Boston & Maine in the fall and I'd like to be able to carry in Maine for the latter part of the trip. But in searching here I'm finding that transporting & possessing a handgun in Mass. without a license is not permitted.

However going to the first google result: Gun ownership in Massachusetts

Non-residents do not need a firearms license to transport their firearms in or through the Commonwealth, provided the firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case while traveling.

THROUGH, sure, FOPA applies. But the above quote explicitly says IN or THROUGH. Is this just terrible advice on mass.gov? I wouldn't be surprised because the NJ state police site has similar advice about transportation even though it's not permitted unless you meet a listed exemption...

THROUGH, sure, FOPA applies. But the above quote explicitly says IN or THROUGH. Is this just terrible advice on mass.gov? I wouldn't be surprised because the NJ state police site has similar advice about transportation even though it's not permitted unless you meet a listed exemption...
It is terrible advice, however, it's presence on a mass.gov website could form the basis of an entrapment by estoppel defense assuming you can afford sufficiently competent counsel.

Back
Top Bottom