• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trap.

I had my first opportunity to shoot some trap yesterday. After I picked up a new shotgun last week that is more suitable for the task than my 16ga bolt action J.C Higgins.

What a great time! It was my first time shooting at any clay's and I had NO idea what to do, or what to expect. I walked into the trap club house, and asked the first person I saw for some help. Not only did he get me going in the right direction, but he asked a fellow trap shooter who had been state champ a couple of times to stand with me on the line, and instruct me on what to do. One of the guys shooting on a different squad even lent me his pouch to use while I was shooting.

While I wished I was able to hit more targets, I was told that I did well for my first time out, and I can't wait to get out there again.

Anyone else here shoot trap?

Adam,

I used to shoot both skeet and trap most Sundays at Sharon F&G back in the late 1970s. Haven't shot either since ~1991 although I have a pair of very nice Browning Citoris for the task. BR&P has trap but no skeet. One of these days, I'll go for it again.

LenS said:
Adam,

I used to shoot both skeet and trap most Sundays at Sharon F&G back in the late 1970s. Haven't shot either since ~1991 although I have a pair of very nice Browning Citoris for the task. BR&P has trap but no skeet. One of these days, I'll go for it again.

Okay, got a question. What the heck is the difference between trap and skeet???

Cool!
I honestly can't wait to get out there again...

After all the rifle I shot on Saturday, and then 50 rounds of 12ga on the trap field yesterday, my shoulder is pretty sore today. If it wasn't, I would try to get out there tonight after work too!

BTW, if anyone would like to come out, you don't have to be a member to get onto the field... I will be going again on Sunday (weather permitting) at my club Woburn Sportsman's Association. If you want to come by, let me know and we can meet up there.

Adam

I started shooting trap about February this year out at BRP, great way to blow through an afternoon on the cheap side with some friends. I haven't made it up there on a Sunday yet so I usually end up bringing someone else to shoot with me and trade off manning the thrower.

I ended up just getting a second barrel for my Remmington 870, but I have added the desire to purchase a good shotgun for skeet shooting to my want list. That is a ways off given the safe I hope to pickup this week and a sudden urge to pick up a .40.

If anyone is headed out to BRP to shoot some trap and needs a second set of hands or wants some company just PM me. Not that I would be opposed to shooting trap any place else either. [grin]

If anyone has suggestions on a decent shotgun for skeet I would be very open to suggestion, same goes for a good vest/belt/pouch for shells and hulls.

Jay do a search here and I think that I posted a detailed description and links to a range layout for each.

Briefly:

- Skeet: Shoot from 8 different stations (forming a semi-circle) at birds thrown out from two houses at each end of the semi-circle. Birds are thrown in a known arc.

- Trap: Shoot from 5 different stations in a fan-like pattern. Birds are thrown from a house in front center of field, throwing machine always moving in an arc so you never know exactly which direction the birds will fly. Designed as practice for flushing birds in hunting.

I'm no expert on either, but that should be relatively accurate.

I wish you guys weren't so far east of me. I'd like to make an effort to get out thatways and join you for a couple' rounds. I had a taste of trap a while back and enjoied it very much. Haven't tried skeet yet. Perhaps after the Campout in Vermont ?

I'd be happy to take a turn on the thrower and I'll even bring a case or so of clays. [smile]

MrTwigg said:
I wish you guys weren't so far east of me.
Even though I shoot at BRP I live 90+ minutes West, so I am probably closer to VT. If you can think of/find a public trap range between us I'd gladly meet up for killing some clays.

Westford Sportsmen's Club (where we had the shoot on Saturday) is open to the public for trap shooting at 1pm on Sundays. We're also open for sporting clays at 9am on Saturdays (except during hunting season when its Sundays at 1pm). There are always good shooters who are happy to help anybody new.

Ken

So, Who is up for some trap ?

There are three clubs offering trap which are open to the public;

Westford, where the first NES shoot was recently held.

I saw the pic’s and it looks like it was fun !

These clubs also are open to the public on one other day of the week, but Sunday is the common day between them. Who’s interested ? Let’s pick a place and then a day.

I’m a novice at this and I’ll be happy if I can break half my birds.[thinking] I’ve got 2 -12 ga shotguns, a Remington SBR 310 O/U and a Mossberg 535 pump if anybody wants to try trap and doesn’t have a shotgun.

Westford trap starts at 1:00PM on Sundays
See the thread about the First NES shoot for location

Leominster Sportsmen's Association
1455 Elm Street
Leominster, Ma 01453
Open to the public for Trap Sunday from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM

Hamilton Rod & Gun Club
24 Hamilton Rd
Sturbridge, Ma. 01566
Open to the public for Trap Sundays from 9:30AM to 12:30PM

Can a Moderator please sticky this so we can see who's interested ?

BillK said:
I would not mind trying it again, Leominster is the next town over, MrTwigg if more join in, let me know.. I'll stop bye to try to hit the clay

I'll be sure to let you know. Leominster is close to me too.

wow that is right... Bless Her!! My wife said "if it don't have an outfield or a 10 yard line... don't bother asking me to go" [rolleyes]

I am not going to tell her I can set up a 10yrd line for her......lmao [rofl]

Ahh the instant satisfaction of crushing a target, far more enjoyable than punching paper. When you get the hang of shooting trap give sporting clays or 5 stand sporting clays a try, far more variety of target presentations and a little more time to enjoy it.

MrTwigg said:
I'm waiting for a call back from these folks. My wife is interested is trying trapshooting (Bless her !) so It looks like we'll be there on the 4th.

I'm hoping to be there as well. Sound's like a blast! (pun intended)

I live in the next town over so this place is real convenient.

Well, ...

It wasn't raining when we left this AM for the Fitchburg Sportsman's club introduction to Trap but it started misting about half way there. To be fair the weather could have been called light rain when we arrived and there was a sign posted across the gate "BEGINNER SHOOT CANCELLED - WATCH FOR RAIN DATE." Checked the FSC website before we left and as soon as we returned, no mention of cancellation or rain dates. Oh well.

As we turned around we saw two other cars pull in by the gate and then leave. Should be interesting once the rain decides to stay stopped. [thinking]

Last edited:
I shot trap yesterday in the rain. I guess the guys at my club are kinda die hards like that!

BTW I had another great time on the field.

Adam

Adam, If I ever get the time, I'll meet you out there. And, I have a clay thrower in the basement. So we can go out anytime that we want...

As soon as I'm done with this project, and I have weekends again, I'll have to get out.

ANd Len, doesn't trap fly out away from you, and Skeet comes across your field of view?

I would also like to try Sporting Clays as well. That looks like a whole lot of fun.

Sweet... Just let me know.

Or, if you can make it on a Sunday morning 10am-12pm they have the auto throwers going. You just pay the fee, and get in the line-up.

Adam

Trap

We aren't convenient to you guys, but we at Bass River Rod and Gun shoot trap and skeet each weekend. Beginners and visitors are always welcome. We're diehards, and unless the weather is really bad, we are out there all year long. Next time you come to the Cape, come check us out. (The best part is watching the clay disintegrate...I've shot everything, and I think it is much more satisfying than punching holes in a paper target. ) In trap, the bird is moving away from the shooter at 45 mph, so it gets challenging fast. Fee for nonmembers is $4 per round of trap or skeet.

C-pher said:
ANd Len, doesn't trap fly out away from you, and Skeet comes across your field of view?

THAT is exactly what I thought the difference was - the trajectory of the targets.

Thanks C-pher! (And Len, for the back-up). [grin]

Just shot trap last night (Beagle Club, Cumberland R.I.) for the second time, I'm hooked.

High score after 3 rounds last week was 13 (did I mention I am a beginner), did to round last night and hit 14 and 15.

I am trying different things to see what works best. I did my best last night with a modified choke and 8 shot 2¾. I see myself joining a club in the near future that offers trap.

Moderator said:
Just shot trap last night (Beagle Club, Cumberland R.I.) for the second time, I'm hooked.

High score after 3 rounds last week was 13 (did I mention I am a beginner), did to round last night and hit 14 and 15.

I am trying different things to see what works best. I did my best last night with a modified choke and 8 shot 2¾. I see myself joining a club in the near future that offers trap.

Addicting, isn't it ? [smile]

Back
Top Bottom