Trap.

Riverside shoots Skeet, Trap, and 5-stand Tuesday and Thursday nights under the lights all year long, and on Sunday mornings. Public is invited. non-member pricing is slightly higher than member pricing.

Riverside is a non-toxic field. Birds are all bio-degratable(sp) and we provide non-toxic ammo for 12 and 20 guage. We even have 'loaner' guns for those that want to try the sport but don't have a shotgun.

Certain days this summer are booked for various scout and veteran groups, but I believe most of those are Saturdays so that the regular public access is not preempted.

All Skeet and Trap activities are treated Competition with a club safety officer/instructor operating the machines for the shooter and providing whatever level of assistance that is needed.

Check out our club calander for special lottery shoots where random special targets can earn shooters prizes.

Ahhhrrrgggg !

I thought I was going to shoot 25 straight tonight, I broke 22 in a row and then choked or had a brain fart or whatever [thinking] and let the last three clays go sailing off [frown] intact.

So close ...so close.[thinking]

Oh well, it was a beautiful evening and I got to smell some gunpowder. [smile]

Last edited:
For those shooters out in the western part of Mass there are trap and skeet fields at Easthampton F&G (in Southampton), Westfield Sportsman Club, Pionner Sportsman Club in WestSpringfield. I'm trying to remember if some of the clubs up by lee (Stockbrige SM's) have them also but I can't remember.

What we do also is have interclub days where say Westfield will come shoot against E'Ton F&G one day, than one day we go and shoot at there club. It's real fun that way and you also get to shoot other ranges that way also.

David

Last edited:
I don't recall what (skeet or trap) but I do remember that Franklin County League of Sportsmens Club (So. Deerfield IIRC) definitely had shotgun. A Google search should nail the website for the club and some answers. I know that a member from FCLSC is a member here on NES.

Barrel Length?

Hey guys, this is my first post here as I am new to the sport of trap/skeet. I have been shooting trap with a less than ideal 12gau SxS that I nick named the punisher because it does a number on me after a few rounds of 25. I am in the market for a new gun that fits me better and I am looking at the Benelli Super Sport 12gau Semi-Auto. My main question is what is the difference between 28" and 30" barrels? Also I would appreciate any info you can give me on this particular model shotgun. Thanks.

The barrel length on a lot of trap guns start at 30". 32" and 34" are common. 28" would be too short for a trap gun. I use a semi-auto Beretta 391. I use a shell catcher to withhold the hull. a semi is not ideal for a Trap gun, especially if you are going to shoot doubles. most serious people use a break open type gun with either a single or double barrel. having the option of a single on a break open will reduce the weight.

check out www.shotgunworld.com there is a wealth of info there on shotgun sports.

Yeah I see why people use the o/u for its choke versatility when shooting doubles. The Benelli Super sport runs about 1,500, comes with 5 chokes, shim kit and hard case. Is this the best gun I can/should be getting for that kind of money? That is really my $$ cap. Is there something else I should be looking at?

Just to let eveyone know the Andover Sportsmans Club holds trap every Sunday morning (singles) and Thursday evenings (doubles) always open to the public. Check out their website for any shot restrictions (#9 or better / 2 1/2 drams...something like that) to prevent damage to the netted backdrop. Really nice place and always helpful with beginners!

Any shotgun can be used for Trap. At one time the Winchester Model 12 Pump with a 26 in barrel was considered the best Trap gun made. Now, most shooters use a 30 in barrel O/U or single shot. I have a Browning BPS in 12GA, a Remington 1100 in 16GA and a Remington 870 in 28GA that I use for hunting so I take them to the range for practice.

The main thing is to get something that fits you. What ever you can shoulder and point quickly and cleanly every time, will give you the best rounds. Have fun.

Riverside shoots Skeet, Trap, and 5-stand Tuesday and Thursday nights under the lights all year long, and on Sunday mornings. Public is invited. non-member pricing is slightly higher than member pricing.

Riverside is a non-toxic field. Birds are all bio-degratable(sp) and we provide non-toxic ammo for 12 and 20 guage. We even have 'loaner' guns for those that want to try the sport but don't have a shotgun.

Certain days this summer are booked for various scout and veteran groups, but I believe most of those are Saturdays so that the regular public access is not preempted.

All Skeet and Trap activities are treated Competition with a club safety officer/instructor operating the machines for the shooter and providing whatever level of assistance that is needed.

Check out our club calander for special lottery shoots where random special targets can earn shooters prizes.

Are they still doing this on Tuesday's and Thursdays? If so, what time do they usually shoot untill? Since it's a competition, can I come to shoot from RI with my own gun?

Walpole Sportsman's has trap, skeet, and 5 stand on Thursday nights and Sunday mornings. All open to the public. I think its like $4 a round for non-members.

Trap & Skeet at Southborough Rod & Gun

Southborough Rod & Gun Club in Hopkinton

www.srgclub.com

Has Trap & Skeet shooting Thursday evenings 6-9 and Sundays, 1-4.

We have Club guns, ( and generous people who're happy to share ) so if you don't have a shotgun, you can find out what works best for you.

We're happy to have beginners, so bring a friend, your kids, (one of the 10-year-olds shot 20 / 25 with a 20 ga.!) and give it a try.

We're open regardless of weather (except lightning).

If you want more info, there are links from the website above.

See you at the Top of the Hill!

wanted to bump this to see if many people shoot trap on the weekends in the leominster area? i just picked up a shotgun after being introduced to trap recently and will be getting out this sunday. probably at north leominster R&G

What time does the fun begin? I cant make it this weekend but would be intrested in coming out to shoot some sunday.

The club I usually shoot at does'nt start up untill May.

What time does the fun begin? I cant make it this weekend but would be intrested in coming out to shoot some sunday.

The club I usually shoot at does'nt start up untill May.

If you have a copy of the Outdoor Message, many clubs have their Trap and Skeet schedules listed.

I see you're in Greenfield, but if you want to come to Hopkinton, Southborough Rod & Gun Club shoots sunday, 1-4

Actually, the GOAL Cup is an Annual event.

We're hosting it again this year April 21, at Noon.

GOAL is handling the registration, you can contact them to sign up

It's 50 singles (16 yards), high score wins.

we're having High gun, High Junior, High Lady, High team of 5.

PM me for more info

Here, let me play necromancer and revive this ancient thread. But its a sticky so maybe I won't be admired by all for my necromancy.

My wife, 16yo son, and I are looking to get into trap/skeet. We live in Littleton. Are there organized programs (but not necessarily competitions, because we'd have to rely heavily upon beginner's luck) with solid instructions within hollerin' distance? Are there any that are running during the winter?

I'd check Harvard Sportsman Club - they are the big guys in your area.

I just shot my first two rounds of organized trap on Sunday - I can't believe how much fun it was. If you don't find anyone in your area and want to make a long drive, Andover Sportsman Club has a great group of people out there on Sunday mornings - they shoot skeet and five stand on other nights. They are very friendly to beginners and you can try it without being a member.

I also shot real trap yesterday for the first time (not having a buddy throwing clays in the yard). It was an awsome time the few club members that (i am not a member) were there were cool and just pointed me where to go and i was all set. Can't wait to go shoot again on wendsday night.

I also shot real trap yesterday for the first time (not having a buddy throwing clays in the yard). It was an awsome time the few club members that (i am not a member) were there were cool and just pointed me where to go and i was all set. Can't wait to go shoot again on wendsday night.

just out of curiosity, where were you shooting trap.??

I think you'll find if you show up at a public trap shoot at about any gun club with a shotgun and some ammo, somebody will be more than happy to show you the ropes (that's how I learned). If you're worried about looking stupid don't be. The only guys that look stupid are the guys that show up with $5,000 shotguns and shoot in the teens.

Last edited:
I think you'll find if you show up at a public trap shoot at about any gun club with a shotgun and some ammo, somebody will be more than happy to show you the ropes (that's how I learned). If you're worried about looking stupid don't be. The only guys that look stupid are the guys that show up with $5,000 shotguns and shoot in the teens.

QFT

I had a really nice guy showing me the ropes on Sunday morning - he ran me through all the rules, the etiquette, etc., then he stood behind me while I shot my first round in case I needed any help. I hit my first five, changed positions, then hit number six - I should have stopped there :) Ended up with a 14, but I was pretty happy to just break birds at all. I trust I'll get somewhat better with time and practice.

Back
Top Bottom