Travel from NH to MA to NH

The question isn't how it would happen, but rather do you really want to risk your future ability to legally posess a firearm that he wont find some excuse or a two-years, hundred-thousand dollar 4th amendment battle to reclaim your firearms if he conducts an illegal search?

Not to mention, that if you get rear-ended by some idiot on the highway and it pops your trunk latch, he'll likely have all the probable cause he needs when he responds to the accident.

It's a shame we have to think like this.

Mike,

I do get it. I was responding to his previous post:

Pointing out that it's not the gun that's illegal, but the magazine. And once he has his LTC, he doesn't need another gun, only an alternate magazine. His prior post (immediately above mine) demonstrates that he KNOWS that he needs an LTC already, no need to keep beating that dead horse.

Sorry, reading comprension fail on my part. Although if you had quoted his post, I probably would not have taken your response that way.

-Mike

The question isn't how it would happen, but rather do you really want to risk your future ability to legally posess a firearm that he wont find some excuse or a two-years, hundred-thousand dollar 4th amendment battle to reclaim your firearms if he conducts an illegal search?

Not to mention, that if you get rear-ended by some idiot on the highway and it pops your trunk latch, he'll likely have all the probable cause he needs when he responds to the accident.

They'd still have to get a warrant to pop open the case if it's locked, but that's pretty much childs play in MA, they hand them out like candy. All it takes is a douche cop with an agenda to push.

-Mike

It's a shame we have to think like this.

Not going to disagree there AT ALL.

They'd still have to get a warrant to pop open the case if it's locked, but that's pretty much childs play in MA, they hand them out like candy. All it takes is a douche cop with an agenda to push.

Yup. Again, is that something you want to risk your future ability to posess a firearm or a hundred-thousand dollar legal fight on to save an hour of extra driving?

So here is a hypothetical question for some people that know much better than I do.

I currently live in Salem, NH but work in Lawrence, MA. Tomorrow I am planning on heading to my parents in Keene, NH and I was planning on leaving directly from my office.

The thinking of course that I would bring my guns with me as I will be doing shooting back in Keene, but then this morning I had a ??? moment when I realized I bet I can't do that.

Specifically I will have a M&P 9mm (17 round mags) and a Mossberg 590A1 (8+1). Assuming I lock the guns up in some kind of way and do not have any mags or guns loaded, is there anyway that would be okay to do? I know there is some law about travel through a state, which technically speaking I guess this would be, but because I am going to be at my office for most of the day in Lawrence I have no idea if this is okay to do or is something that could land me in jail in some crazy fashion should the Police stop me or something.

Any help with this one? I was hoping to avoid having to drive back to Salem at the end of the day, but if it is my only choice then it will have to be done.

Thanks!

Here's a novel idea....Just put the stuff in the trunk and do your thing- without telling the world on the internet or bragging about the "cool stuff" you're toting around, to your co-workers. Drive to work, drive to parents, done.

Here's a novel idea....Just put the stuff in the trunk and do your thing- without telling the world on the internet or bragging about the "cool stuff" you're toting around, to your co-workers. Drive to work, drive to parents, done.

Again a very bad idea. Do as you please, but advising others to violate laws and risk prosecution isn't something we should be doing on any forum.

please review previous posts before tossing in your rusty two copper. This exact recommendation was discussed at length.

Folks keep saying he can't bring the shotgun. It's a pump. Why would Chapter 140 Section 129C, (p) not apply?

Folks keep saying he can't bring the shotgun. It's a pump. Why would Chapter 140 Section 129C, (p) not apply?

It would apply, as would subsection (h) (and subsection (g) if he wanted to hit the range while in MA).

ETA:

Not currently an active hunting season and he didn't state that he had a valid hunting license.

Nope, that's subsection (f).

Last edited:

Anyone suggesting this failed to notice that he happens to work in the car theft capital of the world. Having to answer for possession of firearms is bad enough... having to answer for stolen firearms now in the hands of criminals is what's called "doubleplus ungood."

Leave 'em at home, suffer the minor inconvenience, live to shoot another day.

Decided to kust leave them at home. I get what people say about put them in the trunk, dont say anything, etc. The problem is i dont worry about be, i worry about the rest of the dumbasses out there.

As someone already mentioned, someone rear ends me. Cops show up, could go south quick. Just not worth the risk in my mind, cops having a bad day and decides to make a stink. Who knows, next thing you know im trying not to drop the soap! Haha

Not to mention i dont have a locking case for the shotgun as of yet, nor the M&P actually. It just lives in my safe...not large enough for the Mossberg though.

I enjoy owning guns and owning my own behind. So extra trip it is.

Back
Top Bottom