• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Travel Question

Mods... I'm not sure, but after posting it seems this would belong with the Gun Laws. My apologies... please don't hesitate to move it.

I tried a search but I couldn't come up with a definite answer to this question. Me and a couple buddies are planning a little trip down to Pennsylvania soon and we were thinking about taking some of the toys as there is a range close to where we will be staying. None of us have PA Concealed Carry permits and I'm pretty sure that's the only type of permit you can get in PA. That is, without that license you can't carry concealed... no big deal.

Has anyone traveled to Penn with firearms? We would obviously keep them unloaded and locked up in the trunk for the car ride assuming it is legal for us to bring them from MA to PA.

So, what I'm asking is can we pack up the trunk with some toys and head down to PA? Any info is appreciated.

Tom

Check the PA AG's website for the laws there.

IIRC, Philly has it's own set of laws, but I could be mistaken. So check carefully and don't take anyone's word for it . . . take a copy of the PA Laws from the AG/State's website . . . that's the definitive word.

I pulled this off the NRA site...

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/PASL.pdf

Looks like travel to PA is legit so long as you are licensed in your home state and have reason to have the guns with you (Recreation is a reason)

Any objections? Am I missing anything?

Travel to PA is legit even if you are not licensed in your home state. I have lots of guns and need no license to own or use any of them.

Mass and other NE states are an aberration when it comes to firearm licensing. Needing a license merely to own, transport, or use a firearm is non-existent in most of the country, including California. Such licenses simply do not exist.

Why don't you get a New Hampshire permit

Depending on the time frame before you go on your trip, why not get a non-resident New Hampshire permit, provided you have a Mass LTCA. Cheap, easy to get and it covers you in Pennsylvania. I drive through PA on the way to my parents' house in Ohio and carry concealed the whole way. I have a Connecticut and Florida permit, so I can carry all the way going through Hartford with the exception of ~70 miles in New York.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

PA State Police will still arrest. THEY don't recognize NR permits as reciprocal. AG's office does however, but you "still get the ride".

It's a PITA pissing contest, something that we here in MA are very used to! [rolleyes]

NH Permit is still a good idea, but you better have 5 weeks to wait for it, based on my renewal (36 days) and phone discussion with their issuing office (they seem to be perpetually behind the last few years).

PA is free by default. For CCW purposes you will probably need a
permit of some sort, unless you already have another permit from
some other state that covers it somehow. (read the NH nonres
caveat above, etc. ) However, traveling down there with
unloaded guns is not a big deal... (the same as about
90% of the rest of the country!)

The only real worry I would have is transiting NJ/NY. Make sure
you're "FOPA" and "4th amendment friendly" before transiting those
states, and when you do, get in and out of them without
delay or hesitation.

-Mike

Well, just got back from PA. Took all the toys down, no hassles, no troubles... carefree trip. I was going to apply for the non-res concealed carry permit, but the trip came up last minute.

PA actually has 12 STATE-RUN public gun ranges and we happened to be near the nicest of them all. They provided nice target stands, even targets! Got to let the AR stretch out a bit at 200 yards, shoot in the pistol pits, road test that new Mossberg of mine AND meet some fun people... All in one trip to the range! We even had a nice long chat with the range control officer who was a real piece of work.

We stopped off at Dick's for some ammo, which isn't kept locked up behind a counter but on the store shelves like all the other merchandise. I picked up the stuff I wanted off the shelf, walked over to the register and paid for it without showing an ID. Ahh to live in a free state. Maybe someday.

I believe that unless you are going to Pa. for the purposes of hunting or some sort of competition, you would be breaking the law,not only in Pa. but also any other state youpass through.

I believe that unless you are going to Pa. for the purposes of hunting or some sort of competition, you would be breaking the law,not only in Pa. but also any other state youpass through.

That is incorrect. FOPA only requires that your posession of firearms be legal at origin and destination of the trip. You can posess a firearm in PA just because you want one or for self defense. Sporting uses are not a factor.

As Jose points out, this assertion is dead wrong. Further, even
without FOPA (which pretty much exists so one can transit anti
states like MA, NJ, and NY without breaking any laws) you can
transit most of the US with (at least) unloaded firearms in your
vehicle and not have to have a "reason" to do so. Most states
allow mere possession without having to beg for "permission" from
anyone. "Mere Possession" locked up in ones vehicle is only
ever a problem in -maybe- a half dozen or so states. The rest
of them really could care less.

-Mike

As Jose points out, this assertion is dead wrong. Further, even
without FOPA (which pretty much exists so one can transit anti