Travel with a handgun

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Anyone know if the plastic boxes, that newer handguns come in, satisfy either airline travel or interstate car travel regs if you place a lock in the lock holes they have in them?

Someone told me that only metal cases meet the specs necessary.

Anyone know if the plastic boxes, that newer handguns come in, satisfy either airline travel or interstate car travel regs if you place a lock in the lock holes they have in them?

Someone told me that only metal cases meet the specs necessary.

Don't know for sure. The TSA Site states in part:

You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
The firearm must be unloaded.
The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
The container must be locked.

What's a "hard-sided case"? I used one of the in-car gunsafes, which are small enough, and strong enough, especially with the cable that I attached inside the luggage to the wheeled handles.

It may also depend on the airlines.

I wouldn't use the one that the gun came it. You have to check then and then wave goodbye.

If it were me, I would get on that would be the hardest to to get into. Once it goes behind the curtain, you have no control what happens to it. And some gate check people put an explosives or some sticker (it's been a long time) that lets them know that there's some sort of a firearm. I also don't believe that many of the Airlines will let you keep both Ammo and the Firearm in the same container.

What I've done in the past, called the Airline and asked what they reqired about a week ahead. This gave me time to get what I needed if I didn't already have the items or equipment required.

I wouldn't use the one that the gun came it. You have to check then and then wave goodbye.
Not necessarily. Read the TSA statement. You may be asked to supply a key for the gun case so they can open it.

If it were me, I would get on that would be the hardest to to get into. Once it goes behind the curtain, you have no control what happens to it. And some gate check people put an explosives or some sticker (it's been a long time) that lets them know that there's some sort of a firearm.
Actually, its an orange card that states the weapon is unloaded, which you sign and date. You put that card in your luggage with the firearm.

I also don't believe that many of the Airlines will let you keep both Ammo and the Firearm in the same container.
It depends on the airline, but TSA will, based on their specs.

What I've done in the past, called the Airline and asked what they reqired about a week ahead. This gave me time to get what I needed if I didn't already have the items or equipment required.
Its also good to print up their web site rules as many of the customer service people won't have a clue. It also allows you to show them their own rules at the counter.

On my recent flight to Ohio, I used Northwest and it was very smooth event.

If it were me, I would get on that would be the hardest to to get into. Once it goes behind the curtain, you have no control what happens to it. And some gate check people put an explosives or some sticker (it's been a long time) that lets them know that there's some sort of a firearm. I also don't believe that many of the Airlines will let you keep both Ammo and the Firearm in the same container.
I've traveled with a handgun as recently as Xmas 2006. I have a hardsided, lockable suitcase. I put the unloaded handgun inside a S&W performance center lockable case.

The airline clerk gives you a form that you sign, indicating that the gun is unloaded. You put that form inside the inner case, with the gun. Lock the inner case. Put the inner case inside the suitcase. Then lock the suitcase.

Your ammunition can be inside the same suitcase, but not inside the inner case with the gun.

The gate check people ARE NOT allowed to put anything on the outside of your suitcase that indicates there is a gun inside. I've flown with a gun 1/2 a dozen times and not once have they ever tried to do that.

At that point, the gate check agent walked me and the suitcase over to the TSA baggage screening station. My bag went to the head of the line and I waited until the TSA agents ran it through the explosives scanner. Once they told me it was clear, I went off to the gate.

Flying with a handgun is not hard guys.

Not necessarily. Read the TSA statement. You may be asked to supply a key for the gun case so they can open it.

Yes, but you don't give them the key and pick up the key at the next gate... You take the key with you. Nothing to stop them from breaking the lock once it's behind the black flaps.

I've lost items in my bag. I've have friends lose cameras, PDA's and many other things that were either in "lost" luggage or "torn" when they get to their destination.

on the airline, but TSA will, based on their specs.

Its also good to print up their web site rules as many of the customer service people won't have a clue. It also allows you to show them their own rules at the counter.

On my recent flight to Ohio, I used Northwest and it was very smooth event.

That's also a good point.

Flying with a handgun is not hard guys.

No, but it can be. I've had friends, granted this was some time ago, that even though they declared it.. They were taken to a back room, questioned why they were flying with it, asked to open the case in front of TSA. Had to wait for an officer...

All and all, they missed the flight...and then told Sorry when everything checked out.

Yes, but you don't give them the key and pick up the key at the next gate... You take the key with you. Nothing to stop them from breaking the lock once it's behind the black flaps.
Correct. I stood by while they checked the luggage and when asked for a key, supplied same, which they returned once they were finished and I watched them repack my luggage and lock it up.

I've lost items in my bag. I've have friends lose cameras, PDA's and many other things that were either in "lost" luggage or "torn" when they get to their destination.

This was my first time flying with a weapon and I found it straight forward and relatively easy. The baggage check in Boston was longer becuase the TSA agent in charge wanted to show a new guy what the process was.

In Ohio, they were much easier and didn't open the bag at all. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom