Traveling from Massachusetts to Wisconsin. FOPA in New York.

It is only ignored at Port Authority airports in NY and NJ. I know of no documented cases of trouble anywhere else in those states. Most specifically driving the interstates or the Jersey Turnpike.
i have heard of a case of a ny statie harassing a ma guy going to a gun show. he had a LOT of guns, and statie made him take each and every one out, unwrap it, and prove there was a trigger lock on it.

Had he not been anal about it, and actually HAD all the triggers locked, he would have been jacked up good

i have heard of a case of a ny statie harassing a ma guy going to a gun show. he had a LOT of guns, and statie made him take each and every one out, unwrap it, and prove there was a trigger lock on it.

Had he not been anal about it, and actually HAD all the triggers locked, he would have been jacked up good

Except that a trigger lock gets you nothing when it comes to transporting guns. Every state's transport law as well as FOPA says something like a "trunk or locked container". So I guess that is not a real story.

"I heard of a case . . . " Come on. that' doesn't count.

Except that a trigger lock gets you nothing when it comes to transporting guns. Every state's transport law as well as FOPA says something like a "trunk or locked container". So I guess that is not a real story.

I agree. Look at the wording:

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Doesn't say anything about trigger locks. It specifies a locked container only in the case where you have a vehicle without a "compartment separate from the driver's compartment," like an SUV or wagon. Nobody ever got in trouble because their guns were too locked up, but the law is very specific in requirements.

We used to call this an REO Speedwagon story: heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard it from another...

Right, because every cop scrupulously follows the law exactly as written, instead of how they're told to enforce it, or how they choose to enforce it.

kbcraig - you are missing my point. The fact that the story is told this way tells me its crap. If someone was traveling through NY with only trigger locks on the guns, they would get busted.

Trigger locks have nothing to do with transport. If that one cop had it wrong, oh well. All we can do is follow the law.

Or we're back to polishing our muskets in the basement.

Back
Top Bottom