Traveling in Nevada

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
I'm leaving tomorrow for two weeks of driving through rural northern Nevada. I'm flying in from Boston to Las Vegas and driving north from there. I usually ship my handgun in my checked luggage but this trip I'm only bringing a carry on. So the plan is to buy an inexpensive gun in Vegas or nearby and use it for the trip. Possibly a Shield or Bodyguard, or similar and ill carry it for the trip and either sell it prior to the flight back or shipping it back to my FFL in Mass. That way I can carry on my journey through the back country. Ill be inspecting some properties in some very remote areas and i plan to be armed. Anyone see any flaw in my plan?

I thought since Nevada has reciprocity regarding licenses to carry that I'd also be able to buy a gun.
I never travel with checked bags so looks like I'll have to get creative.
Time to implement plan C.

I thought since Nevada has reciprocity regarding licenses to carry that I'd also be able to buy a gun.
I never travel with checked bags so looks like I'll have to get creative.
Time to implement plan C.

None of that stuff matters when buying guns, federal law f***s up the whole process and makes it unnecessarily complicated. Checking a bag is the easiest way out of this. Just get a direct from Boston and be done with it. It's not going to add much cost to your trip vs the pain in the ass factor of trying to ship yourself a gun or something weird like that....

Last edited:
.....either sell it prior to the flight back...
not trying to be a dick but...how were you planning to sell it prior to the flight? sell it back to a dealer? find a banger? set up a table outside the terminal a few hours before the flight? you're new to guns, huh?

This is the sort of question an average deomcrat needs to be asked with something like.. oh ... A baseball bat. Or. Better yet, a hammer.

Then when presented with hammer instead of hand gun, they are asked to evaluate the bullshit factor of the legal situation.

Won't make any difference or course. But still..

Honestly. ? If you absolutely must do no checked bags, consider an ar-15 purchase and a trombone soft case. Or a brief case and a good set of pins.

not trying to be a dick but...how were you planning to sell it prior to the flight? sell it back to a dealer? find a banger? set up a table outside the terminal a few hours before the flight? you're new to guns, huh?
Yeah, I'm new to guns. I got my first pistol in 1981 and I've been buying selling, trading, and competing since.
I was planning on buying a used gun at a dealer when I got here and selling it at a dealer before I leave. Or, rather than take the beating on the sell back I was going to ship it home to my local FFL and pay his fee. I'll lose money either way, but I don't mind. I look at it like the cost of a two week rental in a sense.
There are dozens of gun shops in the area. Setting up a table never crossed my mind but thanks for the helpful advice. You don't sound like a dick at all.

Yeah, I'm new to guns. I got my first pistol in 1981 and I've been buying selling, trading, and competing since.
I was planning on buying a used gun at a dealer when I got here and selling it at a dealer before I leave. Or, rather than take the beating on the sell back I was going to ship it home to my local FFL and pay his fee. I'll lose money either way, but I don't mind. I look at it like the cost of a two week rental in a sense.
There are dozens of gun shops in the area. Setting up a table never crossed my mind but thanks for the helpful advice. You don't sound like a dick at all.

But you see what people are saying, right? You’re already acknowledging you’ll lose money on the deal; why not just pay to ship your gun or check your bags?

I’m with you, though. Having driven across northern Nevada, I’d want to be armed too. It’s a wasteland.

Perhaps you've owned guns for a long time, but your posts in this thread make it obvious you have no clue about gun laws wrt buying/selling guns. What you are suggesting could get you an all expense paid vacation in the Federal Gray Bar Hotel.

And sadly you're not listening when folks tell you what you want to do is outright illegal.

Good luck, you'll likely need it.

But you see what people are saying, right? You’re already acknowledging you’ll lose money on the deal; why not just pay to ship your gun or check your bags?

I’m with you, though. Having driven across northern Nevada, I’d want to be armed too. It’s a wasteland.
My wife and I travel several times a year and we've streemlined the process nicely by leaving the luggage home and just packing a small carry-on. No more dragging around suitcases, no standing in line at the luggage carousel, no damaged gear, no lost luggage. It's completely changed the way we travel. The only downside is not being able to bring a gun in a checked bag.
I know I can ship my gun here and I know I can carry my gun here. I've done it numerous times. I've bought and sold guns over Gunbroker and other sites all over the country dozens of times. Its how I have financed most of my gun collection along with along with local sales and trading up with my C&R license.
I can buy a gun from Nevada via Gunbroker or whatever and have it shipped to Mass and I can sell a gun to someone in Nevada from Mass. Nevada has reciprocity for LTCs including Mass so carrying here isn't an issue.
It just seems odd that i can buy a gun and have it shipped home, and i can sell a gun from home and have it shipped here, but i can't come here and buy and sell a gun in person. I realize that if a bought a gun at a shop and carried it for two weeks while traveling across the state and then sold it at amother gun shop on the other side of the state I would take a loss. I don't care about that. I look at it like a rental fee. I just find the law very odd. Online sales from Nevada to Mass=OK but In-person sale in Nevada to a Mass resident = No. Well, it turns out it can be ok.
Despite all of the kind words and useful (not so much) advice I just bought a C&R eligible pistol at a shop outside of Pahrump. It's perfect for a carry gun for the next two weeks and it'll be dirt cheap to ship back home.

Ah. C&R. You’re aware that if you’d mentioned that in your original post, the responses would have been a lot more constructive.

Glad you figured it out. Good luck and safe travels.

Ah. C&R. You’re aware that if you’d mentioned that in your original post, the responses would have been a lot more constructive.

Glad you figured it out. Good luck and safe travels.
Yes indeed. Possession of a C&R FFL legally allows what is otherwise illegal. Laying all the facts on the table upfront only helps us help you.

I ended up finding an absolutely beautiful CZ 82 for a very nice price. It was still packed in cozmolene and wrapped in wax paper. The shop's smith stripped it off and had it looking like a brand new gun. I know what a pain it is to clean off old cozmolene so I tipped the guy 20 bucks. The owner, nicest guy in the world, wouldn't let him keep the tip. He said it was just a service he provides for his customers. I said that I know how time consuming it can be to get that goop out of every knook and cranny of a small pistol and that I had expected to have had to do it myself.
But they got it completely in shooting shape and ready to carry. I bought a box of 9x18 and shot all but 13 in the range behind his shop. 1 in the pipe 12 in the mag and now I'm back to having that comforting weight in my from pocket.
They wouldn't accept a tip but I paid for two pizzas to be delivered after i left. Hard to refuse pizza.
Nothing better than being armed when you're halfway between Tonopah and Reno and the last living thing you've seen for 200 miles was a wild burro.

Back
Top Bottom