Traveling through NY with ammo only

I want to bring some through NY, to Virginia. It would be in a locked container in the back of an SUV, if I do this.
Are there any pieces of advice?Good? Don’t do it? Not worth the risk? Or perfectly fine?

Thanks

You can possess a rifle or a shotgun in New York without a license as long as you stay out of the five boroughs of NYC. No license required to purchase ammo either if it is not for a pistol. So take the Tappan Zee Bridge ( I can't bring myself to say Cuomo!) or 1-84 to I-81 which let you by-pass NYC.

Some info on NJ ammo laws if you take I-95 or the Garden State Parkway. It looks like our good to go with rifle or shotgun ammo in NY. Pistol ammo looks like a problem, so transiting NJ may not be without some risk.
Ammunition Possession Lawyer New Jersey | Bergen County 2C:39-3 Attorney NJ (newjerseygunlawyers.com)

By the way, plenty of rifles take 9mm, .357 and .38. If that's what you're traveling with it could be a defense.

Last edited:
FYI, I-84 to I-81 does not put you in New Jersey. Very close, yes, but just outside the state line at the very northwest corner. I've used this route heading south a few times to avoid travel through NJ with firearms.

Go I-95. Do donuts on the GW. When they try to pull you over just scream you're a sovereign citizen out the window. They can't arrest you if their laws don't apply to you!

As Johnny Depp playing Whitey Bulger said: "If no one sees it, it didn't happen"

Back
Top Bottom